Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

king of dragon pass issue

sqeecoo

Arcane
I need a little help here. I recently felt the urge to play king of dragon pass again, but having lost my cd, I "re-acquired" it by torrent.

However, I am having trouble installing the game - when I try to do so, I get an error saying that "Setup is unable to find installation languages in G:\SETUP.LID".

I can actually play the game from the cd (or rather the mounted image), but that way I can't apply the update.
I googled as best I could, but didn't find a solution. This is on Win7.

Anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Thanks!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There is something off with the installer - I can't get it working on XP either. I just copied the files directly to HD. No idea if the patch can be applied afterwards.

Didn't even know there is a patch. What does it fix?

Phelot

Arcane
I suppose try and if this "setup.lid" is were the error says it isn't.

Other then that, I've had a similar problem from an iso and solved the installation issue by copying the contents of the cd to my c: and then doing the installation from there. Not sure why it worked, but the error I fixed was complaining about language files.

Hope that helps.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The installer seems broken in Vista/7 and I have exactly the same problem. Fortunately you can easily bypass the installer. Create a new folder somewhere on your hard disk and copy from the cd the "mt" and "opal" directories as well as "kodp.exe". Additionaly you can also copy "readme.txt" if you feel like being complete though that's not needed.

That's it! You should of course apply the patch after that, which is just a matter of unzipping files at the correct place and then you can play. You still need to have the cd in the drive — virtual or not — to be able to play.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Dear god, this game is hard (but absolutely awesome). I never played it much before, really, but it's harder than I remember.

Even on easy, I constantly fail at stuff (establishing trade routes, heroquests, the various events). Is this normal? I'm especially frustrated by not knowing how many trade routes I can have. I expected to be able to play more or less without loading on easy....
Well at least I remember enough to avoid starvation.

If anyone can share some tips, I'd be grateful.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Explore your tulla.

Have you read the manual? It gives a lot of tips and surprisingly goes into great details to tell you how things work, while others merely tell you how to do something but not what exactly happens behind the scenes.

Explore your tulla, again.

Try to get good advisors so you can get varied opinions on how to run things, keeping in mind that most of them will limit themselves to their own field.

Explore your tulla, more than once.

Getting more crafters than you can support will give you diminishing returns but unless you are limited in people, the pile of goods you can get out of it will make you forget the waste.

Do not forget to explore your tulla. You might find some rare ressources.

Success in the event relies on various factors, some that you can control, but also luck. Even with the best preparations behind you, you might still fail. Sure you can reload and try again, but only lesser people do that. Still even if it is annoying, dealing with failure is part of the game and you should keep going as long as you do not see a "game over" screen.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Right, explore my tulla, and persevere.

And read the manual, of course - this I did, twice. But I still can't figure out how to tell how many trade routes I can have, or how to learn new heroquests.

I'm also not entirely clear on some stuff (like what determines how much magic I get), but figuring out that stuff is part of the fun, I guess.

Do you have any general advice on raiding and emissaries? Should I bother at all? The manual says cattle raids are "normal" and require a small number of soldiers; are they worthwile?

Thanks!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Cattle raids are certainly worthwile and a great way to increase your herd with more or less impunity. It's best to send a small group so they won't be spotted and if they are just accept it and withdraw to avoid casualties; the goal there is to steal cattles, not start a war.

To learn more heroquests, you must make sacrifices to the gods. Putting magic into Mysteries at the start of the year will help you to get some revelations. Myths have three levels and its best to learn all you can about one before attempting the quest.

Bear in mind that heroquests are probably the most dangerous thing in the game and while the rewards can be great, so are the risks. Putting as much magic in it at the start of the year will help, and the gods may also tell you that some years are good for questing so take advantage of that.

Some treasure are alive, like the bull you start the game with. They are useful but will die after a while, making them inferior to the item type that you can keep forever, or until someones steals it from you. So it's best to sell or even gift those living treasures after a while, though it's hard to know when the right time is.

As for emissaries and trade routes, I do not remember exactly. Just send people to other tribes and try to develop relationships with them, if anything that can't really hurt.

Oh yeah, speaking of which: do not try to be at war with your direct neighbours. If you really want to wage war against someone, which can be nice to for morale and spoils, do it with someone that does not directly touch your borders. You want it that way because you'll want to organise your neighbour into a tribe and also because if your enemy attacks, he will first need to pass through your neighbour's territory, who can warn you in advance or even refuse them access. Be aware that the same might happen to you if you do not have good relationships with them.

Yeah, the main challenge is learning the game but that's also one of the things that makes it fun. Just do not be discouraged if things do not work out.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Hey, I have a stupid question about KoDP, anybody remember where I can find the 'cheat' tribes. I just want to use one to reconnect with this awesome game.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
sqeecoo said:
I'm also not !

As far as trade routes are concerned, you can choose Trade from the radial menu above (the trade button is the third one from the left). Your routes are listed there by clan.

Jopo

Novice
Dragon pass

Hello!

I too am interested in playing this good old game.

I encountered the language file not found problem when trying to install on my Windows 7.
I tried installing manually by creating a folder and copying the Opal and mt folders and the .exe file to it, but it failed on startup saying: "The file was built for an incompatible platform and cannot be opened with this version of the applications"

I tried using compatibility mode to windows 95 or XP but nothing. If I play it from the CD it works, whats the problem and how can I fix it? How can I apply the update to the cd? can I somehow add the update files to the cd image? I tried unpacking the cd image, applying the patch and making a new image, but it would not work that way, why?

Thank you for your help. Cheers!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The label of the cd (iso too) needs to be "KotDP" without "s

I managed to do a patched iso of it (still works from cd).

oscar

Arcane
I find getting a good food surplus the initial step to success. So forcing the Duck People to send you crops as tribute every year is a good step. When you've got a safe amount of food you can start employing more weaponthanes (which means more forces to cattle raid, explore and guard with). I generally go for small, all-weaponthane cattle raid forces (less likely to be caught and if they do get caught they can still hold their own).

In addition check your agriculture page every now and then to ensure your farmers have enough land and your herds have big enough pastures to graze on.

Oh and when your told you've information has been revealed about a myth, there's a little black button you can push in the myth screen that explains the details of the myth. Though you don't always have to re-enact the myth 100% accurately to succeed.

One thing I've always wondered was if the quest that improves your crop yields, is it a one off, permanent bonus? Or a temporary one? Or is it even stackable? Same with all the "x will be better from now on" quests.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its all about gods IMO. Barntar is a must for crops, Issaries (?) for trade and berserker one/Humtar for war. Add Vinga for fyrdwoman to double defence and You are all set to go. Investing in temples is very much worth it as they give a lot. Trade routes, war, food.

With enough temples gae becomes significantly easier until You start forming the tribe. Then it gets hard again due to heroquests required - and a failed heroquest can decimate the clan ring.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
mondblut said:
SCO said:
The label of the cd (iso too) needs to be "KotDP" without "s

I managed to do a patched iso of it (still works from cd).

That's "KoDP", no t.
Right, it's been a while.

laclongquan

Arcane
Your challenge is to build the biggest tribe possible WITHOUT splitting it off. Splitting off is for pussy and weakneed old goat. True BROS stay centralized and lord over the biggest clan.

Then go bragging about it in the fan group (google or yahoo I dont remember which). Watch the spittles fly and giggle. It's my first concious trolling attempt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom