Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by conan_edw, Feb 13, 2018.

1. otsego Cipher

otsego
    I think if I replayed (I intend to, but as a stealthy bow type... I read headshots are basically fatal at any skill level... Garrett eat your heart out) I would either go full longsword or axe+shield. This is one of few medieval RPGs that I know of that reward you for knowing that other weapons than swords exist to defeat plate and mail armor and reward you for training in it.

It's like games that don't tell you that blunt works well against undead enemies. It rewards you for having common sense without directly telling you "USE THIS WEAPON TYPE"

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Yeah I just reinstalled to try a rogue playthrough, archery, stealth and mobility in combat. No armour at all. Dunno if it's going to work, but we'll see.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. otsego Cipher

otsego
    I know this game pushes you in the direction of swords... I mean besides the main plot point of you losing a magnificent sword and trying to get it back. Even the "boxart" is Henry crying over a sword. Which I sympathized with for the first 10 hours, but bruh, I'm a killer now and it happened faster than the farcry games

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Sarathiour Learned

Sarathiour
    It's been some time since i played this, but i thought that one of the strong point of sword and bow was the opportunity to use poison, contrary to blunt weapon.

^ Top  
  5. Deadass Learned

Deadass
    fuck swords and maces just use your fists lmao

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. FreshCorpse Arbiter Patron

FreshCorpse
    Strap Yourselves In
    I'm pretty sure that you can use poisons with maces even if you couldn't this benefit would be diluted by your ability to use poisons with arrows.

^ Top  
  7. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Whitemale nerds and neckbeards everywhere you look. The lack of diversity on display here is positively medieval.

• incline x 12
    • Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mikeal Magister

Mikeal
    But there are wymynz there!!! :rage::dead::negative::mad::(:decline::stabbedintheback::baka::despair::badnews::stunned::deadtroll::cmcc::dontbelievehislies::slamdunk:

• decline decline x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    What's worse is the number of faces closely resembling the typical soy aficionado.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    This is the way I played it because I could never figure out sword fighting even during training sessions. Then after defeating an important enemy with bow and arrow I got a cutscene with a sword and stopped because this was even more annoying than all the other times when Henry was looking differently in dialogues or cutscenes than in the game. Why use in-engine cutscenes when you don't show the setup of the player at that moment? Also has the black-screen-reloading before and after each dialogue been removed in the meantime?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Literally unplayable.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. LarryTyphoid Educated

LarryTyphoid
    My PC is too shitty to play this game without stuttering. Fucking Cry Engine. Why can't devs just make every game on Unreal 1?

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    If you can, install it on SSD. It dramatically improves performance. Thanks to SSD my PC of 2015 managed to run KCD on max settings and the framerate dropped only during big skirmishes during night, with lots of torches (light sources).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    No, this was only annoying. But the black-screen-reloading before and after each dialogue was what killed it for me...

^ Top  
  15. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Were you playing on PS4? On any moderately capable PC it's like 0,3 seconds, a non-problem.

^ Top  
  16. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    I have an i5 and a Geforce 1050 that can run everything else besides this, probably because I don't have a SSD...

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    Exactly the problem. KCD loads in like 5 seconds on SSD, and the dialogue "loadings" take few milliseconds.
    Meanwhile on HDD it's...the opposite.
    I've had SSD for a decade now. How come esteemed chemist and modder still rocks ancient technology. Go buy SSD.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. vibehunter Educated

vibehunter
    Are maces still stupidly OP in this game? I rolled sword and board in my first playthrough but I'd like to do another run just bonking people on the head.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Bladed weapons have that perk that increases chance to cause bleeding and poison if you've sharpened them yourself. You can't sharpen a mace.

^ Top  
  20. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    what year is it?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    It's still stupid from a game designing point of view. Why does no other FPRPG need to create a seperate world just for a conversation? Cyberpunk e.g. works fine on the very same system...

^ Top  
  22. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    SSDs have been affordable for near a decade. They are pretty much becoming mandatory with how engines load in assets.

Lots of games include them as a minimum requirement now for good reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    If I had to guess, it's probably loading higher quality textures used only in dialogue(and perhaps cutscenes, etc.,) on demand when you begin a conversation.

^ Top  
  24. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    IIRC it's because the game world is perma-simulated, with autonomous NPCs independently acting and milling around. No other game does this. So they had to create a "safety bubble" to ensure your conversations aren't disrupted by some crazy emergent shit happening around. Same reason why passing time may take a long time on weak machines - the world outside is still simulated while you sleep.

Cyberpunk is nowhere near the same system btw. With millions of NPCs existing in the world instead of low thousands it's not even possible to perma-simulate all the NPC routines.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jrpgfan Liturgist

Jrpgfan
    Just a reminder that the 1050 is a very weak GPU. Considering KCD is not exactly a low spec game, it might not be the SSD alone. Its not surprising it runs like ass with it.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.