Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - remaster from THQ Nordic with Fatesworn expansion

sullynathan

Arcane
I remember wanting to play this one and before you know it almost a decade has passed.

Zeriel

Arcane
To think they could have kept making alright singleplayer games if Curt Schilling hadn't bankrupted himself making a shit MMO that would never see the light of day.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To think they could have kept making alright singleplayer games if Curt Schilling hadn't bankrupted himself making a shit MMO that would never see the light of day.

Well IIRC, they might have shut down before that if Curt Schilling's company hadn't acquired the developers (Big Huge Games) to make their a game a tie-in product for his MMO. So maybe they were always doomed.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I just stumbled over some more details on the steam community page. The most interesting parts are:
Will old save games work?
There might be a use at your own risk converter tool but we cannot promise anything yet.

Will you rebalance the game or "only" focus on delivering a remaster as close to the original game as possible?
We are still working on this but we are aware of some imbalances and want to fix those.

What exactly does "refined gameplay" mean?
Mostly balancing tweaks to make the game ‘feel’ better.
So, they are at least doing something on the balance side. Still very wishy washy, though.

Zeriel

Arcane
Frankly I think they'd be better off making two rulesets and being able to switch between them in the menu, but I suspect that would be too much work. It would solve the problem that will exist otherwise, though, which is that there will ALWAYS be purists who prefer the original version and want the new graphics.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I vaguely remember this game having really bad pop-in, even at high settings, so hopefully they extend that out along with whatever texture shit they're doing.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Playing this again because of the remaster, and there are certainly a lot of bugs that were never squashed. The game had zero post-release support.

I was a fan of the idea at the time, but I never got very far. It takes the same content / time consumption is everything philosophy of Sacred 2 and is just way too long with too many side quests.

I'm interested to see what THQ does with it. There is definitely scope for improvement, but I suspect that they will not tweak the game hard enough for my liking.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
So it actually plays better than I remember, but maybe I was just burned by the hype.

I really hope they fix the level scaling. Been playing on Hard and just entered an area I previously entered by accident and it's a chore to kill one-shot enemies that pose no risk.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
Yes, that's without a doubt the most pressing issue they need to address. Sadly, it is not clear yet if/how they will solve it. I just noticed that the game is listed on GoG which makes me very happy as I hate steam with a burning passion.

Narushima

Cipher
They really called it "Re-Reckoning"? I thought that was a joke...
And it's as ugly as the Fable games.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
So, as we only have one more week until the game is released, I did some hunting for some more information on the planned gameplay changes. I found the following on the game's discord:
Graphic changes are very hard to see on the current gameplay out there that is for sure and i agree with you on that, that being said KoA to start with didn't have bad graphics so the fact we made things sharper, more clear, textures and lightning touches and so on won't really show up on a video due to a spectrum of reasons.

What you should look at is all the other things we have done on top of that such as new mode Very hard, fixed Loot issues, fixed lock level issues, added 8 skills instead of just 4, Hud scaling and much more. So when you DO play the game you will notice all the extra nice stuff that you cannot see in the videos yourself but you got the game due to all the things we did improve specially QoL´s
Still quite vague, but it's progress. The graphic improvements are of limited interest to me as the original game still looks fine in 4K (which sadly breaks the HUD in the original version). The ability to play it properly in 4K is all I need in terms of graphic improvements.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope they add more skills, the game's biggest issue was that the skill trees were way too small considering its size and scope. I also hope they return the difficulty to the demo difficulty, which should be easier to swallow with the popularity of souls-likes these days.

Gerrard

Arcane
Did they change the camera to a normal 3rd person one? I actually tried playing this again recently and I just can't get over how bad the camera feels with mouse and keyboard.

Bara

Arcane
Full price from original owners for only minor graphical tweaks and small rebalancing without any new content (unless you never bought the dlc) is such a hard sell.

I guess they really just wanted to sell the base game all over again and then the new expansion on top of that instead of bundling them.

vmar

Savant
The addition of a very hard mode and fixed scaling issues has me interested, I remember having some fun with this but giving up because it was piss easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom