Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - remaster from THQ Nordic with Fatesworn expansion

Zeriel

Arcane
They probably just want to have their game put onto a big banner on Steam page and be listed under "new releases". But yeah if you're complaining about that... you own the game, you bought it already, just pirate it if you care, and if you don't, don't.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I just read that owners of the original must still pay full price. For essentially some graphics updates and some balance and bug fixes.
Oh wow, I just assumed that the owners of the original get this for free. That's how it was handled for the Darksiders Warmastered edition: I had bought the original on disk back in the day and one day I just received an additional entry for the remake in my steam library. I think you can still play the original version as well (for whatever reason, the warmastered version is great). Making original owners pay twice is a cheap money grab, especially as they have a new addon lined up to monetize the existing owners anyway.

Did they fix the fov or will we have to wait for mod to do it?
They've added a FOV slider.

Codex Year of the Donut
Oh wow, I just assumed that the owners of the original get this for free. That's how it was handled for the Darksiders Warmastered edition: I had bought the original on disk back in the day and one day I just received an additional entry for the remake in my steam library. I think you can still play the original version as well (for whatever reason, the warmastered version is great). Making original owners pay twice is a cheap money grab, especially as they have a new addon lined up to monetize the existing owners anyway.
I think I paid $3 for Amalur. I see the argument for people that paid $60, but a lot(probably most) grabbed it a few years down the line when it was in bargain bin deals.

Sykar

Arcane
I think I paid $3 for Amalur. I see the argument for people that paid $60, but a lot(probably most) grabbed it a few years down the line when it was in bargain bin deals.

Which would not have happened if it were not such an utter failure of a game.

Falksi

Arcane
Thing is I'm all for the franchise getting a cash injection boost, as it may result in further Amalur games.

And the potential is there for a good series, it's just the first game failed in it's execution.

The world & lore itself is a nice little spin on the usual fantasy stuff, and it'd be refreshing to have more games with a real fairy-tale vibe to them.

Citizen

I just read that owners of the original must still pay full price. For essentially some graphics updates and some balance and bug fixes.

Owners of the og game know they shouldn't bother with the remaster

Avarize

Magister
I hope they add more skills, the game's biggest issue was that the skill trees were way too small considering its size and scope. I also hope they return the difficulty to the demo difficulty, which should be easier to swallow with the popularity of souls-likes these days.
The problem was that it's a single player MMO with no endgame.

Consul

Arbiter
Played it years ago, can't think of a game that's more bland, boring and repetitive than this. Voice acting, dialog, quests and locations were putting me to sleep. Combat was sort of interesting, but became monotonous very quickly.

Falksi

Arcane
Played it years ago, can't think of a game that's more bland, boring and repetitive than this. Voice acting, dialog, quests and locations were putting me to sleep. Combat was sort of interesting, but became monotonous very quickly.

Therein lies the secrets to getting anything from the game:
  • Ignore loot
  • Stick to the main quest & main side/faction quests
  • Once you know about something, don't ask anyone about it any further during conversations. Otherwise you just get the same bullshit thrown down your throat.
Playing the original that way & you've a fairly fun 6/10 game. If this has extra skills, harder difficulty, and a few other re-balances there might be a nice 7 or 8/10 game in there. Which is getting rarer these days.

Sykar

Arcane

I played it for 21 hours according to Steam. I REALLY tried hard to like it and yet I cannot remember anything of the story, dialogue and characters. I remember more of Restricted Area and that was a piece of shit game.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I hope they add more skills, the game's biggest issue was that the skill trees were way too small considering its size and scope. I also hope they return the difficulty to the demo difficulty, which should be easier to swallow with the popularity of souls-likes these days.
The problem with Amalur is that it came right after Skyrim, which popularized the quantity-over-quality approach in open world RPGs. You can see signs of this problem wearing off in the expansions

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem with Amalur is that it came right after Skyrim, which popularized the quantity-over-quality approach in open world RPGs. You can see signs of this problem wearing off in the expansions

Amalur has lots of unique content. Probably more than any other game of its type.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Amalur has lots of unique content. Probably more than any other game of its type.
It was spread too thin, and there were parts where it could use more original content. I'm referring to the five areas, which were all structured the same and had (mostly) the same enemy types.

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
If they fix difficulty to being at least comparable to YSA mod, then MAYBE it'll be worth grabbing with a discount some time later. After yar-gar-gar test edition. Or I'll just forget about it.

Bought original at release, because it gave me some Fable vibe, which I was longing for at the time, and I liked the demo. But I'll be damned, game has become so atrociously easy midway through that it was ruined for me and I dropped it.

Cool concept, nevertheless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom