Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - remaster from THQ Nordic with Fatesworn expansion

flyingjohn

Arcane
For anybody wondering you can change the original difficulty/scaling with the heart core-cheat engine mod.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/102500/discussions/0/350540780273862290/

You can also apply reshade to the original to make it look better.And that is pretty much all you need unless you are obsessed with fov and upscaled 4k textures.
The only positive is the upcoming expansion pack which might be good or shit anyway.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
for people who got the special deal -100% summer sale copy - does it work for you? It only lets me turn on the mode without saving enabled

vmar

Savant
Anyone tried out the new hard mode yet? Probably gonna buy this after work, even though I won't get around to playing for awhile cause wasteland 3.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I bought this game on a friend's recommendation years ago and never even looked at it. It's apparently just a single player MMO with console UI. I can't fathom where the enthusiasm for a re-release came from.

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
If anyone will be kind enough to sacrifice their time (and their money or soul) to test acceptable very hard difficulty, please post. Being piss easy was the reason game's systems didn't work at all.
And YSA mod did have it's fair share of technical hiccups.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
If anyone will be kind enough to sacrifice their time (and their money or soul) to test acceptable very hard difficulty, please post. Being piss easy was the reason game's systems didn't work at all.
I just bought it on GoG and the download is running. I'll report back once either later today or tomorrow.

flyingjohn

Arcane

If your problem was level scaling they fixed it and the harder difficulties bump up the levels of enemies so they take and deal more dmg.
If your problem was the broken crafting shit and weapons,nothing has changed.
If your problem was that the enemy patterns and attacks were easy to dodge,nothing has changed.

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
harder difficulties bump up the levels of enemies
Sounds good.

broken crafting
"Very hard" should compensate this. IN THEORY. Otherwise no craft playthrough. Worrisome.

enemy patterns and attacks were easy to dodge
Damn. No improved aggression on enemy side with new difficulty? They still waiting to attack one at time instead of all out? My already little hopes for this remaster are waning.

I'll report back once either later today or tomorrow
I wish you godspeed. You're doing god's work to save those who still has hope from possible decline :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/124207-kingdoms-of-amalur-re-reckoning-released-reviews.html

IGN 6/10:

On some levels, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is still a worthwhile RPG to hack and slash your way through, even if this remaster doesn’t go above and beyond the bare minimum expectations. But while the ideas and mechanics that make games like Red Faction: Guerilla and Burnout feel special are still largely singularly unique to them, almost everything that made Amalur stand out in its day has become standard fare for just about any RPG to come out in the past decade. Its fast-paced action still entertains, for the most part, and there’s plenty to see and do in its big world – but after almost a decade of innovation and improvements, it no longer feels particularly extraordinary, and the technical issues it does have are far less excusable. Re-Reckoning is a good reminder of what made the original so great for its time but, more importantly, it’s a testament to how far we've come in the decade since.

WCCFTech 8/10:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning finally gives a second chance to one of the best role-playing games released in the previous console generation, making the gameplay even better with select balance tweaks that increase the challenge level and make it easier to engage with side content. Despite some issues and a dated gameplay design, the game's battle system, great writing and extremely deep lore make Re-Reckoning a game that most role-playing game fans will enjoy. Especially if they like juggling enemies to death.

PlayStation Universe 8/10:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is just as fun as it was eight years ago. Though the game didn't get any updates to its inventory management system or the criminally long load times, the combat is still great and the vast world is a blast to explore.

GamingBolt 7/10:

If you’ve never played this game before, or if you want to dive back into it but don’t have access to an older copy, Re-Reckoning is easy to recommend- but only because the game itself is as good as it is. If you were hoping for an impressive visual upgrade, this isn’t it, and those who already have access to a copy of the original game should probably save their money.

CGMagazine 8/10:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is not terribly challenging or filled with complex plot, but offers you a straightforward, lengthy, and empowering journey to save the world from evil.

ScreenRant 3/5:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is still a good game, and fans of the original will be tempted by that 50% off deal. However, it's hard to see what it will gain from this remaster, as much as it would be interesting to see the property live up to its promise. At the very least, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning stands as a testament to how far games have come in one generation that this underrated gem cannot quite recreate its old impact.

vmar

Savant
Very Hard is just stat bloat, nothing more. This game is way more bland and boring than I remember, and the combat is kinda cool but the braindead AI ruins it. Probably gonna refund.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Alright, I have given the remaster a try. So far im only about two hours in on the new very hard mode, but it's enough for a to share my first impressions. Fortunately, my memory of the original is quite fresh as I partially replayed it in March. On the graphic's side there was no noticable change for me with the exception that UHD now works properly, i.e. it doesn't break the UI. This is enough for me as the game still looks fine thanks to the very colorful art style. There's an FOV slider now, but I haven't dabbled with that yet.
In terms of balancing the developers claim that they've rebalanced the game. In the original the "hard" difficulty was still piss easy which made the huge amount of side quests mostly pointless. "Very hard" certainly addresses that issue. The monsters pack quite a punch: the troll in the tutorial can easily remove three quarters of your health with a single hit. I've also been one-hitted by traps and a couple of wolves handed my ass to me shortly after I got out of the tower. The enemies can also take a punch, but they are not super spongey. With your shitty starting gear, you won't have a good time. Fortunately, you get a ton of (ex-dlc?) items in the first town which are a good place to start. They won't make you super strong, but will give you some decent stats and some life regeneration, so you don't have to guzzle health potions all the time. I'm glad they are there as I think the game would be too hard without them.
So far, "very hard" delivers. The big question is how meaningful your character progression will be. I'm not sure how scaling works in the remastered version, so I'm a bit worried. I want to feel my character getting strong and not have that growth nullified by scaling enemies. I'll write another post once I know more. All in all, the remaster has addressed the two most important issues for me: UHD support and difficulty. However, they could've done a lot more and the price is way too steep from my point of view.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom