Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
I'm surprised no one but me is so annoyed by the quest markers

I dunno man. While I would normally agree with you about quest markers in an open world RPG (and the ability to turn them off), KoA:R is more about combat and encouters than anything else. Not sure if I'd want to run around looking for my next battle, especially as most of the quests themselves are pretty uninteresting.

Come to think of it, this game is much more like (a dumbed down, cartoonish) Dark Souls than Skyrim with it's connected areas and progression system.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Reached the Desert and the Etsomething plains. Game certainly seems more interesting. Combat, however, seems to have gotten MUCH easier than when I started out. Probably because I'm still facing the exact same enemies. Anyway, I'm enjoying the game to be honest. Its a pity the game only really picks up at the 15-20 hour mark. Not wanting to slog through 20 hours of boring content is a legitimate complaint.

EDIT : I really enjoy killing Fae. Also, even though it had 0 consequences beyond a handful of different dialogue, I have to admit I really enjoyed putting the Maid of Windemere on the throne. Anything that brings change to the lives of those retards is :thumbsup:

Castanova

Prophet
Got the game today. I'm about 2-3 hours in. I'm playing on hard and skipping all sidequests entirely.

At first the game was kinda fun but now it's getting really boring. All I want to do is sprint to the next quest marker as fast as humanly possible. I enjoy leveling up and spending my talent tree points. Other than that, nothing really interesting going on. Honestly, I wish they had just cut out all the faux open world and condensed the game down to a 15-20 hour adventure with no downtime. The combat and leveling up is where it's at in this game and everything else is terrible.

I'm considering quitting at this point. When you guys say it "picks up" 15 hours in, what do you mean? Does the combat get more fun? Or do you mean the storyline picks up?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS JUDGING FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN AACRACUS IS RIGHT IT LOOKS LIKE A DUMBED DOWN DARK SOULS DONT THINK I WILL TRY IT

ESPECIALLY SINCE I HAVE THE FAGBOX DIVINITY 2 EXPANSION DEAL AND FAGBOX NEW VEGAS

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
hay guise can i romance this chick in amalur

GC_AlynShir_wm.jpg
She's asking for it, ears all hanging out and shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Apparently they're already selling a $5 weapon and armor pack.

Castanova

Prophet
The items you get for that $5 are SLIGHTLY better than the items you already have at the time you get them. The only difference is that they have unique names, are "orange" instead of "white" items, and they look "cooler." If I had paid money for that DLC, I would be extremely pissed off. Literally an hour after you get the items, you've found better items.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looks like they're prepping for their MMO push with crap like that -- I'm sure it'll be the worst of both worlds: subscription based and microtransactions.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
We may all being a little harsh on this game - which is ok, it's the codex way - but I think there's a lot of promise here.

It's a first time effort by a new team working within a company known for it's RTS's. If they trim the excess bagage, improve the quests and make the world and lore more interesting (combat and char progression is fine IMO - though it could be a bit more challanging) - KoA2 could be really somthing to look forward to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We may all being a little harsh on this game - which is ok, it's the codex way - but I think there's a lot of promise here.

It's a first time effort by a new team working within a company known for it's RTS's. If they trim the excess bagage, improve the quests and make the world and lore more interesting (combat and char progression is fine IMO - though it could be a bit more challanging) - KoA2 could be really somthing to look forward to.

Problem: KoA2 will be an MMO.

Neeshka

Educated
Can someone summarize the combat in this game for me please ?
A comparison to, say, Skyrim or mmo's like WoW would suffice too.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter

Problem: KoA2 will be an MMO.

Yeah, I heard they were working on an MMO set in the same universe - doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a single player sequel (or has that been confirmed?).

On the other hand, it's pretty good news for MMO fans I guess - KoA:R makes a fine basis for an MMO, especially if they keep the combat mechanics.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Mix of Fable and DKS. There's a demo, though, so, give it a whirl.

Castanova

Prophet

Nothing like Skyrim or WoW. The combat is like an action game brawler. It's like a (very) poor man's Devil May Cry or whatever. You've basically button-mash to pull of combos, hit the block/dodge buttons a lot to avoid damage, and you unlock additional moves through the talent tree. You can also play as a mage or an archer/thief but the combat with those seems less fun to me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I fucking hate it when promising games get MMO-spinoffs. That usually ruins the entire story (see Warcraft) because you need to include lots of EPIC LEVEL RAID AREAS and have the world's most powerful beings killed 10 times a day by player parties.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The Amalur universe was in development for Copernicus, 38 Studios' MMO Project. Reckoning was in development by Big Huge Games since 2007 and going by another name, Ascension, until 38 Studios saved the project and turned it into an Amalur-themed game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Amalur universe was in development for Copernicus, 38 Studios' MMO Project. Reckoning was in development by Big Huge Games since 2007 and going by another name, Ascension, until 38 Studios saved the project and turned it into an Amalur-themed game.

Hah, that means Tibby was working on a game with the same subtitle as Ultima 9. Awkward.

EDIT: Wait, I've found a forum post on Penny Arcade that claims it was called Ascendant, not Ascension.

"My brother will hunt you, he will find you, and he will kill you."

Spoken with all the emotion I expect a piece of cardboard could muster up on short notice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom