Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingmaker Ch 6: HATEOT quick walkthrough

Trashos

Arcane
I made this quick guide, because of the troubles that players are having with HATEOT. I will guide you through HATEOT with minimum fighting (6 fights to reach Nyrissa -can be done in ~2 hours). We will also do the Mirror quest on the way (it is needed to avoid a hard fight), but not the book gathering quest. We will also gather three keys that are needed to open Nyrissa's door.

HATEOT has 3 floors. Basement, 1st floor (where the companions are), and 2nd floor (where Nyrissa is). HATEOT also has 2 realities, and they work similarly to how Lamashtu's Womb worked. When you have the lantern on your belt, you always remain in the same reality. When you have the lantern off, you switch reality by entering a cloud. Therefore, from the point I tell you to put the lantern on, keep it always on unless you wish to change reality by entering a cloud. After you switch reality, put it back on immediately to avoid confusion.

Step 1: Gather all companions

- Start with lantern off. Get into HATEOT via the well. You end up on 1st floor. Find a cloud and SWITCH reality ONCE. Then (and only then) put on the lantern. All companions are on this very floor and in this very reality. Generally, move north and then west from where you spawn to start finding companions.

- Move around the floor and gather all companions. Leave Linzi for last. There are a couple of fights too in certain rooms, but you can completely avoid them without missing anything other than killing XP.

- Mirror Memories quest: The first 2 mirrors are here. The first mirror, which starts the mirror quest, is one room north from where you entered, but in the reality of the companions (ie, the reality you are in after you switched once). The 2nd mirror is at the center of the floor (near the corridor that goes to Linzi’s room), again in the reality of the companions.

- After you gather everyone, you can always go back outside to rest or sell loot through the southern door.

- Companions you do not add to your party will wait for you outside near the merchant.

- Total necessary fights this far: 1 (the one in Linzi’s room), but you might as well also kill the troll in Ekun’s room for some good loot.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Step 2: Getting to mirror 3

- Mirror quest: Go to to the 2nd floor by following the eastern corridor from Linzi’s room. On the 2nd floor, walk down the corridor and use the 2nd cloud to the west to SWITCH realities (by taking off the lantern first). After switching realities, put the lantern back on, and continue down the main corridor to the huge statue room. The 3rd mirror is near the entrance of the room, click on it.

- Take lantern off, use the cloud at the entrance of the statue room to SWITCH realities, put lantern back on.

- Total fights this far: still 1

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Step 3: Getting the 1st key/ the Knurly Witch

- Go back to 1st floor, take the western door (between Ekun’s and Amiri’s rooms) to the basement. Walk down the main corridor, enter the last room to the west and talk to Knurly Witch. Get whatever info you want, then fight her. Take the 1st key off her body.

Note: If you are evil, after attacking the Knurly Witch and fighting her cats, you do not have to fight the Witch herself -thanks @ga!

- Mirror quest: The last mirror is in the room where the Witch fled. Click on it, then click again to take a shard.

- Total fights this far: 2

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Step 4: Getting the 2nd key/ The Wriggling Man

- Go back to 1st floor, then go to 2nd floor, walk down the corridor, in the statue room you meet the Wriggling Man. Talk to him, show him the mirror shard, and he dies. Take the 2nd key off his body. Optionally you can also loot the room behind him.

- Fights this far: 2.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Step 5: The 3rd key

- Take the corridor east from the Wiggling Man, kill the mandragora swarms.

- In the mandragora room, the door to the north leads to Nyrissa, but you are still missing one key to enter. Continue down the corridor and kill the ghost guards that spawn.

- Continue to the east, then take the southern door to the basement.

- In the basement, walk down the corridor and go 1st right-left-1st right. Kill the ghostly guards to the north. Move all the way east until you get to the room with the multiple clouds at the end.

- Take lantern off and enter cloud to the east.

- The cloud should take you to a room with a vilderavn and a few golems. If it does not (since the clouds are overlapping), reload and retry. Kill the enemies and take the key off the vilderavn’s dead body.

- Fights this far: 6.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Step 6: Nyrissa

- This is the weirdest part. Go back out through the cloud. It will take you to a region where you are surrounded by overlapping clouds. Use ONE character (for better control) to enter the cloud to the north. It will take you back to exactly the same location with the overlapping clouds, but in the other reality. Then use ONE character to enter the cloud to the east. It will take you very close to where the mandragora swarms were.

If this step didn't work, reload and retry it. Entering the correct cloud is tricky when clouds are overlapping.

- Assuming all has gone well and you land close to where the mandragoras were, put the lantern back on, open the locked door to the south, then go west to the dead mandragoras, and open the door to the north.

- Congratulations, you reached Nyrissa!

- Total fights: 6 to reach Nyrissa.

The fight in Linzi's room
The Knurly Witch (or just her cats, if you are evil)
The Mandragora Swarms outside Nyrissa's room
A ghost guard party that suddenly spawns on you close to the basement door
The ghostly guards close to the 3rd key
the vilderavn/golems fight to get the 3rd key

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
If you are evil you don't even have to fight the Knurly Witch.

This is good info, I have only started my 1st evil playthrough recently. On the other hand, fighting the Knurly Witch is important, because at the beginning of battle she unlocks and flees to a previously locked room that has the 4rth mirror in it. I expect that if I do not fight her, I will have to find another way to said room (ie, I will have to enter it from the east instead of the west, which will probably involve more fighting).

Therefore, fighting the Knurly Witch while evil may still be a good (or even the best) option. I need to look into this further.

EDIT: You fight the cats, the Witch flees into the room with the mirror, and then you can talk to her and avoid fighting. Thus, you do not have to fight her, you still get to the mirror room. But you have to fight her cats.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Updated with even less fighting. I changed the directions to the 3rd key to avoid 1 fight. While I was at it, I also re-wrote some directions to hopefully make them clearer.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Wow, I didn't think of that! Not sure, I have never tried it. I will sure try it next playthrough.
If that works, then the minimum fights to reach Nyrissa are 2: Linzi and the mandragoras. Maybe the mandragoras can be avoided too with mass invisibility.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This was helpful, and made my most recent playthrough a lot less annoying. Appreciate it, Trashos!

One thing I'd add...

If you're romancing Nyrissa, you need to give her the real briar, (as opposed to the fake one Irovetti had). It's located on the second floor, in the location identified below, but you have to switch back to the 'first reality' (i.e. unequip the lantern and step into the mist) to get it.

yI4X34i.png

With the briar, and having talked to one of Tartuk or Armag, and pumped Vordakai for info, you can get the 'secret' true ending, assuming you've also been romancing Nyrissa. Salad for everyone!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom