Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty II

Mazisky

Magister
Is Larian helping them making King Bounty 2? Because it seems like they removed the day night cycle and the game is full daytime.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Yeah, yeah guys. Only 2D sprites are good, got it.
No, Katauri's 3D King's Bounties look delightful. It's obviously a matter of art direction, which is deficient in the new game; no reason to be obtuse about it.
Just look at the main character: Bill Gilbert and the princess were colorful, full of fairy tale flavor -the new guy looks like some nameless NPC randomly generated by an algorithm.

The guy looks like joel from last of us.

I hope they have a character creation system or at least have multiple protagonist to choose from.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's the thing about changing army composition on the fly to adapt your units to the enemies' - we already have such a game and it's not the best idea in the world, Etherlords 2. You could always use units and change character traits to counter the enemies and the only thing being tested is your knowledge of the match-up and not your tactical and strategic thinking. I'd have given the option to specialize or remain a generalist with a weaker army. When you don't specialize, the enemies should individually be more powerful than your units, but that gets compensated by the possibility of you countering them by composition alone.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Etherlords is a different game (that I could never actually adapt to, even though I liked the combat). We'll see what happens.

I'm more concerned about the cramped arenas.

As an aside, I played the Katauri versions as some sort of racial supremacist, in that I stuck to a theme instead of min / maxing it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's basically the same thing when talking about this specific thing, though, because the general idea of always being able to choose units to counter the enemies comes with its set of drawbacks regardless of system.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
On one hand it does look quite nice (visuals, 3rd person overland map is interesting, there seems to be an adequate amount of depth to the character systems). But from the sound of things I'm afraid that this game could become a full blown puzzle game. The interesting thing about tactics is trying to overcome an unfavorable situation with superior maneuvers and choices. Getting your shit pushed in by a hard fight and then coming back a minute later with a different army that is built specifically for that encounter sounds like it's going to get very exhausting and repetitive very fast. We'll have to see how it turns out.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Here's the thing about changing army composition on the fly to adapt your units to the enemies' - we already have such a game and it's not the best idea in the world, Etherlords 2.

We also have King's Bounty Legend, KB Crossworlds, KB WotN and KB Dark Side. Because changing units to adapt to the enemy has always been the defining feature of the series. And it always worked splendidly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can't change them on the fly, you have to return to dwellings to recruit them and you don't have endless gold to do so with.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can't change them on the fly, you have to return to dwellings to recruit them and you don't have endless gold to do so with.
"You see the enemy composition before the fight, you can choose not start the fight, change your own army and only then engage in battle." Their own words.

You could do the same in previous KB games, starting with Crossworlds I think, although back then you only had 2 reserve troops slots, maybe that's expanded in KB2 so that you can change your entire army if you want.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Maybe there is more reserve troops slots which wouldn't be so bad, 2 wasn't enough so i mostly used it for extra troops (same ones i had on the field) when earning leadership on KB's reboot.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Makes me wonder this is a step before Embracer Group (THQ Nordic) acquires 1C Entertainment. 1C has some "interesting" catalog after all.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Makes me wonder this is a step before Embracer Group (THQ Nordic) acquires 1C Entertainment. 1C has some "interesting" catalog after all.
Ahh to be honest,thq n i one of the better ones. I would have been worried if it was some of those western garbage publishers like EA or microsoft. THQ N does pump out quality AA games,a lot better than the western AAA shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"This video is private". I think they sent out that press release a little early.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I completely forgot that Gamescom was a thing this year. And yeah, trailer was meh. Hopefully the game can live up to its predecessors. Not a fan of the art style either, looked a little bit too Xbox360 brown to me.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I completely forgot that Gamescom was a thing this year. And yeah, trailer was meh. Hopefully the game can live up to its predecessors. Not a fan of the art style either, looked a little bit too Xbox360 brown to me.
Ahh i am interested in the third person exploration mode,that could end up interesting take. Its predecessors were really interesting games,the combat was generic line tb,the writing was totally forgettable.....but in reality was extremely fun formula. I must have replayed them like 5 times by now :lol:. The RPG and exploration elements are pretty good. Nothing beats a good mage build :smug:.

Nyx

Novice
Going for srs story is not helping them.
In games like this story should be avoided as much as possible. I feel so sad for whoever wrote those small blocks of text in the previous games that I completely ignored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom