Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty II

Communist

Prospernaut
Possibly Retarded
Black people have a right to be unhappy with the fact that they are underrepresented in fantasy. If we turn to the classic of the genre - Clark Ashton Smith, we will see that his worlds are full of racially diverse characters. Therefore, Clarke worked in the oriental subgenre of fantasy. Where is oriental fantasy now? He's gone! Instead, we have racist Tolkien, we have racist Howard. Zothique is a classic example of dark and decadent fantasy, and without her there would be no Disciples or Warhammer. Nothing. But where is this fantasy now?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Black people have a right to be unhappy with the fact that they are underrepresented in fantasy. If we turn to the classic of the genre - Clark Ashton Smith, we will see that his worlds are full of racially diverse characters. Therefore, Clarke worked in the oriental subgenre of fantasy. Where is oriental fantasy now? He's gone! Instead, we have racist Tolkien, we have racist Howard. Zothique is a classic example of dark and decadent fantasy, and without her there would be no Disciples or Warhammer. Nothing. But where is this fantasy now?
Then write your own books.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1135300/view/4173115662834297532

Home of wonders, dangers, and unique places
Nostria is home to a thousand wonders, secrets, dangers, and unique places.

6ac367db31930e2b948e903fa6e728130fdda641.jpg
1ab97e959768ec63e06b9f8487d09be586b7353d.jpg
5b489c50520228bd0e2ea5a7e68b40f1159a4b33.jpg
00bc8160b9ebdc236a17064a54aa59d56f27b238.jpg

Would you like to see more, Hunters for King's Bounty? Add our game to the wishlist and let us know down in the comments!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://venturebeat.com/2021/01/18/...lds-what-should-be-a-fantastic-year-for-rpgs/

The D20 Beat: King’s Bounty II heralds what should be a fantastic year for RPGs

Kings-Bounty-II-Dragon.jpg

I find it amusing that a the resurrection of a beloved retro game is itself retro now.

I’m talking about King’s Bounty: The Legend, which came to PC in 2008. It’s a rebirth of the original 1990 game from New World Computer (made by the same folks behind the Might and Magic series, and it’s a progenitor for the Heroes of Might and Magic). 1C Entertainment put out a number of expansions and standalone releases over the next six years, culminating with King’s Bounty: The Dark Side in 2014.

I got excited in 2019 when 1C and Deep Silver announced that King’s Bounty II was coming in 2020. Steam says I’ve put in 630 hours into the series. Like Civilization, it’s a comfort-food game for me. So of course I’m excited that a sequel is on the way. And it’s taking a bit of a different direction; the sequel is a merging of open-world RPG with tactical combat, and it’s ditching some of the lighter tone and artwork of previous games. You still choose one of three heroes (warrior, mage, or paladin), and you’re still exploring, taking on quests, buying new units for your army, and searching for treasures.

Of course, 2020 being that most awful of years, it got postponed to late March.

Changes I’m curious about
King’s Bounty: The Legend and its siblings have you exploring a series of maps (some are islands, others are realms). This time, 1C is taking us to an open world, and I’m quite curious about how it goes about this.

In a demo in November, we saw a typical fantasy-medieval realm. Now, these are standard in the series, but they’ve always been bright and vibrant, with lush colors, the clop of your horse’s hooves, and other details. As you advance through the campaign, you encounter different areas, such as sylvan glades, snowy wastes, muddy bogs, fiery hellscapes, and underground caverns. Here, you’d fight against foes suited to those environments and pick up troops that live there (like elves in the glades, demons in the hellscapes, and so on).

1C showed off a village, some snowy lands, and some interior building shots. The thing that’s different here is it has people and interiors. Before, you’d go to a shop or an inn, and a mugshot would pop up with text interactions or what you could buy. If you hit up a castle, you’d go to a screen with the ruler and may see another occupant or two and whatever units and items it had for sale.

Kings-Bounty-II-Counsellor-1.png

Above: Maybe we’ll be able to have some more character interaction thanks to King’s Bounty II’s new direction.

Interiors with people mean you might actually get a chance to explore locations outside of the main map and combat, and I’m hoping this could lead to interactions with NPC and a deeper story.

Battle lineups look more lively as well. Like in many tactical and strategy RPGs, your units look like singular entities despite how many you might have. Say you have a troop of 54 skeleton archers? You just see one on the screen. In this sequel, your units are made up of multiple icons (though I doubt I’m going to see 200 spiders at one time).

And having people outside in villages, town squares, and other locations will help give King’s Bounty II not just more ways for the player to interact with the world (quests and such) but help this open-world feel more vibrant.

But I do have two concerns: Will this make King’s Bounty II more vibrant, and will it detract what from the core loop of building your armies and taking on foes? 1C says it plans for a more serious approach with building Antara, and I understand the studio’s desire to make a more mature RPG. King’s Bounty does have a light tone (you can recruit a cute dragonet companion in one game), and I’d be happy to see it ditch bikini-like armor sets for its women characters. But that light tone is part of its charm, along with the Civilization-like “one more turn” appeal of looking on the next island, down the next path, to see what new recruits you can add to your armies.

King’s Bounty II remains my most anticipated RPG of 2021. I just hope it nails both tactics and tone.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Not sure how I feel about the fact that our reserve has no limit, if we want we can buy every available unit and keep them in reserve.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Seems like theyre trying to make the game into a 3rd person RPG or something. For sales obviously since action games with rpg elements are what sells these days.

Seems like theyre trying to make the game into a 3rd person RPG or something. For sales obviously since action games with rpg elements are what sells these days.
I reckon they don't have the same guys behind the game and that the original devs went under quite some time ago. Now the publisher (1C) is doing the development and it looks like they went for something of a similar formula which they've had in Ascension to the Throne, which also had third person, so I'm guessing it's just something they're comfortable with.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I reckon they don't have the same guys behind the game and that the original devs went under quite some time ago. Now the publisher (1C) is doing the development and it looks like they went for something of a similar formula which they've had in Ascension to the Throne, which also had third person, so I'm guessing it's just something they're comfortable with.
Yeah,it doesn't change the fact that looks pretty nice. Also i am a fan of Ascension to the Throne,it had really nice game formula,it only lacked a bit of polish. I don't remember any other game having the same type of gameplay is it.

Mazisky

Magister
Not gonna lie, despite a bad initial impression this game could be really interesting if done right. Also, it's coming out in a moment of pc strategy void

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'll never quite understand how dev teams can predict a release six months in advance.
Yeah you'd think that instead of announcing release dates a year in advance and then keep putting it off devs would make the game, polish it and finalize it and then say: "We're releasing next week." What's wrong with that, especially if you're a non-AAA dev and you only release digital?

Mazisky

Magister
I'll never quite understand how dev teams can predict a release six months in advance.
Yeah you'd think that instead of announcing release dates a year in advance and then keep putting it off devs would make the game, polish it and finalize it and then say: "We're releasing next week." What's wrong with that, especially if you're a non-AAA dev and you only release digital?

If they do that the marketing teams would be unemployed, also you cannot build the hype about the game this way < less sales.

Cyberpunk got dozen of million sales despite being a buggy mess by simply not following your advice.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

By communicating in advance, you can reach more people than by just a one-week marketing rush, which might be missed by people who would have bought the game otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom