Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Knights of the Chalice 2 - Editor & Module Creation

Dorateen

Arcane
I will have to double check when I get to the Editor, but if you are looking to make a dialogue answer based on having 5 items, I think you are better off creating a new NPC line above that checks if the five stones are present, then have the guy's dialogue with the player response accordingly.

In other words, instead of putting the check for the five stones on a player's dialogue option, make it an If/then/else command at the start of the whole dialogue with the NPC. I will try to post an image in a little while to show what I mean.

Gandalf

edit: Here is a conversation where the party had to obtain six certificates. This first screen shows the structure of the dialogue, with the script command checking if the characters ALL PARTY MEMBERS as a whole own the certificates in the quantity of 6.

koqDD2P.jpg

Until the party has all six, the dialogue will default to the secondary NPC lines, whether the initial greeting or follow up conversation. Here is a screen that shows the exact command.
SEB8C75.jpg

Again, it is important to check the ALL PARTY MEMBERS, not just the PARTY LEADER for the script to work.

I think the reason why you can't use a PC dialogue choice for the check, is because you are looking for a specific quantity of stones (five). If you were only checking for one item, then you could use that on a PC option.

Last edited:

Gandalf

Arbiter
I will have to double check when I get to the Editor, but if you are looking to make a dialogue answer based on having 5 items, I think you are better off creating a new NPC line above that checks if the five stones are present, then have the guy's dialogue with the player response accordingly.

In other words, instead of putting the check for the five stones on a player's dialogue option, make it an If/then/else command at the start of the whole dialogue with the NPC. I will try to post an image in a little while to show what I mean.

Gandalf

edit: Here is a conversation where the party had to obtain six certificates. This first screen shows the structure of the dialogue, with the script command checking if the characters ALL PARTY MEMBERS as a whole own the certificates in the quantity of 6.

koqDD2P.jpg

Until the party has all six, the dialogue will default to the secondary NPC lines, whether the initial greeting or follow up conversation. Here is a screen that shows the exact command.
SEB8C75.jpg

Again, it is important to check the ALL PARTY MEMBERS, not just the PARTY LEADER for the script to work.

I think the reason why you can't use a PC dialogue choice for the check, is because you are looking for a specific quantity of stones (five). If you were only checking for one item, then you could use that on a PC option.
YES! This is perfect. Thank you Dorateen! That check worked like a charm and your help just saved a quest of collecting not 5 but 120 itmes, actually.

Mauman

Learned
Man....these npcs sure are lazy. First they want us to get their bear asses, then kill their rats, and now they want us to get some rocks? What's next? Breathe their air? Chew their food?

:troll:

I jest, of course. It took me like 2.5 hours to figure out how to make a wand merchant, so I wish you luck

Gandalf

Arbiter
Man....these npcs sure are lazy. First they want us to get their bear asses, then kill their rats, and now they want us to get some rocks? What's next? Breathe their air? Chew their food?

:troll:

I jest, of course. It took me like 2.5 hours to figure out how to make a wand merchant, so I wish you luck
Man, you just gave me an amazing idea...
Yeah, I know the feeling. Still don't know how to implement some of the stuff, but I'll eventually get there, hopefully. Thanks and I also wish you good luck with your project!

Gandalf

Arbiter
I think it might be worth mentioning for module makers that it's better to add music to scripts on the fly. I've recorded some music for my second module and have just started adding it to the game, and it will probably take a whole week because now unfortunately I have to sonify each script, so it doesn't play the default music each time they are triggered.

Also, here's a video of one of the battle themes I've made for my second module:

Players will hear this piece many times. I hope you find it enjoyable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom