1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Knights of the Chalice 2 on hold

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Nov 24, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Heroic Fantasy Games; Knights of the Chalice 2

<p><a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#18533">RPGWatch reported</a> yesterday that Heroic Fantasy Games developer Pierre Begue put KotC2 on hold in favor of a so far unannounced RTS game.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>Pierre Begue, designer and programmer for Knights of the Chalice, has informed me that he is currently working on an undisclosed RTS game. Both the RTS and FWE are still in the early stages of development. For the time being FWE has been put on hold while he completes the RTS game. Currently there is no deadline for either game.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>The silver lining to this is that some of the code for the RTS game will be compatible with FWE. Also it doesn't sound like it will take that long to complete this game. He mentioned that it's easier for him to work on a game that will take a matter of months vs one that will take years.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>According to the <a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&amp;t=361" target="_blank">official forums</a> this is confirmed:</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p><span>Yes it's true and it allows me to work towards shorter-term goals. IMO it's not such a bad thing for KotC2 because some of the code will be the same.</span></p>
    </blockquote>
    <p><span>Well, 2 and a half years went by since the release of KotC and now the sequel is on hold. Doesn't bode well, right? By the way, opting for shorter-term goals (i.e. improving the game step by step, adding an additional race or class, improve the graphics a bit etc and focusing on releasing a new game once or better twice a year - the "Vogel way" which has been proven to be successful, as opposed to planning an epic scope game that will take many years to finish with a full construction set a la NWN to boot!) would have been a cool idea 2,5 years ago.</span></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

^ Top  
  2. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Millions of voices, suddenly silenced, etc.

^ Top  
  3. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    eh, if the RTS engine helps to make a better turn based KotC 2, I'm ok with it.

Seems weird though, after the success of KotC you then work on a ......RTS.

Profit?

^ Top  
  4. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Cant blame him to work on a rts to pay the bills, are the people who torrented kotc still so smug now ? I dont see many titles to look forward on the pc this year or the next few years.
    Theres need of good rts too, fan of rts are are starved as rpg fans.

^ Top  
  5. Noddy Augur

Noddy
  6. getter77 Augur

getter77
    I reckon he's earned enough cred from KoTC to be given a fair shake on this. If nothing else, well, I guess this makes it a bit more of a footrace of sorts between KoTC II and Darghul....

It'd be good to have an RTS with some ambition to it, fantasy perhaps, aside from Achron still struggling onward.

^ Top  
  7. moraes Arcane Patron

moraes
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    What's FWE?

^ Top  
  8. Noddy Augur

Noddy
    Fantasy World Engine. (KOTC 2 with a big shiny editor)

I would be sadder at the delay, but aslong as it comes out eventually. Still ranks as a better idea than stopping SoW to make a card game.

^ Top  
  9. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Oh well... Wait and see, wait and see :?

^ Top  
  10. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    An RTS is a strange option for a small developer/project. :?

I mean, unless he's developing for Ipad, he's going to have some really strong competition. It's a genre completely dominated by big names, and considering his low-end technical aspects...

^ Top  
  11. hanssolo Educated

hanssolo
  12. MonkeyLancer Educated

MonkeyLancer
    Ugh! This is singularly the worst crpg news possible :(

^ Top  
  13. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Dont worry, with that kind of short term projects, he will have enough time and resources to do KOTC2 in no time flat. Next Friday is the estimated release date.

^ Top  
  14. Wunderpurps Educated

Wunderpurps
    First e should build a roguelike to fund building an rts.

^ Top  
  15. PorkaMorka Arcane

PorkaMorka
    Saw it coming. KOTC2 was really too ambitious. For a small team to do all that while maintaining KOTC's quality standards would be extremely difficult. I guess he failed to learn the lesson from the success of his own game; limited, focused scope = success and the lesson from all the failed indie RPGs; excessive ambition = death.

^ Top  
  16. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    homeworld and nexus are rts too.

^ Top  
  17. Eyeball Arcane

Eyeball
    Agreed. It will likely be crappy, won't sell much and be completely forgotten between the Warcrafts and millions of tower defense clones of the RTS genre.

We will never see KOTC2 now. I completely regret never getting around to paying the man for his work, because KOTC1 was just about perfect: oldschool but without the shitty interface that characterises most oldschool RPGs.

Fuck.

^ Top  
  18. Johnny the Mule Educated

Johnny the Mule
    Pretty much, yeah.
    Hell, I'd love to see him cancel it (its not canceled yet, right :M ) just for the sake of butthurt. M:

^ Top  
  19. Wunderpurps Educated

Wunderpurps
    Well if he made more money off it I'm sure he could get it done eventually, but making too many changes at once is almost like making all new software.

^ Top  
  20. zeitgeist Magister

zeitgeist
    How on earth would he be able to make a decent RTS on his budget/lack of employees/etc? And why would such a game sell better? Unless we're talking about an iPhone tower defense "RTS" of course.

^ Top  
  21. Angelo85 Magister Patron

Angelo85
    A RTS after a critically acclaimed turnbased RPG? Sounds like a red herring. Or preperation for Baldurs Gate like gameplay? :lol:

^ Top  
  22. Wunderpurps Educated

Wunderpurps
    And let me add how depressing this is. I mostly roll my eyes at the indie derp but a deserving bro like this guy should succeed.

^ Top  
  23. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    This sucks. KOTC2 was pretty much one of the only RPGs worth looking forward to.

Cyclopean
    Knights of the Chalice 2
    Fan Made Fallout
    Afterfall RPG
    The Broken Hourglass
    Scars of War
    Planescape: Purgatorio
    The Black Hound
    Dead State
    Age of Decadence
    Grimoire: ALWAYS BET ON CLEVE!

Edit: Added some more. Jeez...I forgot how many RPG projects crash and burn.

^ Top  
  24. Angelo85 Magister Patron

Angelo85
    Excuse me Mr Murrow but I believe your list contains an error. You seem to have crossed out Dead State by accident.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.