Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
A bit late but..

I frankly found chapter 4 to be a joke compared to the rape dungeon that was the upper sewers. Too many rest spots, didn't even use the rest from the genie, gate assault literally on the first try. Meanwhile I smashed my head against the spider queen 4 different times (party lvl 8, 12, 15 and finally beat it at 17) and countless reloads. The hardest fights for me were the spider queen, chapter 3 opening fight and the goblin king ambush.

All in all, the module is just a tad overtuned. :M
I hope for the module trilogy to come Pierre looks for inspiration at the original KotC and not this.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A bit late but..

I frankly found chapter 4 to be a joke compared to the rape dungeon that was the upper sewers. Too many rest spots, didn't even use the rest from the genie, gate assault literally on the first try. Meanwhile I smashed my head against the spider queen 4 different times (party lvl 8, 12, 15 and finally beat it at 17) and countless reloads. The hardest fights for me were the spider queen, chapter 3 opening fight and the goblin king ambush.

All in all, the module is just a tad overtuned. :M
I hope for the module trilogy to come Pierre looks for inspiration at the original KotC and not this.
Wait, am I supposed to reach level 17 by the end of chapter 3? Where the fuck am I going to find the gold to do that? I think I explored almost everything and there's no way I can gain enough money...

PrK

Savant
Patron
I just sold any of the loot I didn't use and had enough money for heals at the cleric, heal potions, the pounce belt and for the level-ups. (I reloaded a save - after trying to guess where in the 269 saves I have is the chapter 3 end, nice coding Pierre - and indeed lvl 17 party with the bishop lvl 18 and 90k to spare).
The lack of rest spots in chapter 3 really favours xp banking since you don't benefit from the new spells, I ended up lvl 21 at the final boss.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2902951

Update #36: KotC 2 Version 1.03 Now Available For Download! Another Big Upgrade!

Hurray! Version 1.03 of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos for Windows is here, and it's another massive upgrade!

To download the game, please visit: http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/DigiVendorPro/download.php

List of improvements in version 1.03
You can now start the adventure with a party of level-2 adventurers. To do so, simply use the 'Level-up character' button in the party member selection screen.

You can now adjust the ability scores of your characters in the character-creation screen. To do so, simply use the tiny left and right arrow buttons that you can see above the Ability Scores box.

15bbde63b300734a43c97ae31605f14d_original.png

You can now create characters that use the ability-score range of the opposite gender. Simply tick the 'Opposite Gender' box to do so.

You can now remove the racial ability-score total during character creation. This means that the ability scores of your characters will only be limited by their ability-score range, and not by the racial total. To do so, simply select the option in the Game Options screen.

2517668c42110387e284aad330b94ad0_original.png

Many new game options were added in version 1.03. You now have an option giving you the maximum ability scores during character creation, an option to remove the gold cost of levelling-up entirely, and options to reroll level-up Hit Points automatically if they're below 25% / 50% / 75% / 100% of the maximum Hit Point bonus that you can get when you reach a new level.

You also have new options designed to give your characters more feats. The characters can now receive two new feats upon creation and at every level-up, or one new feat at every level-up, or one new feat every two levels.

f1d02fef5ab07842b0d762c9ba70c8b7_original.png

You also have new options designed to give your characters additional ability-score increases. The characters can now receive an extra ability-score point every three levels, or every two levels, or every level.

I have also added options to skip the explosion animation of the spells Magic Missile, Energy Ray, Produce Flame and Scorching Ray, resulting in faster gameplay.

Moreover, summoning by the player and the AI will no longer cause a pause in large maps.

I've added a scroll of Electric Sphere in the pool room in the beginning of the game to reduce the difficulty of the encounter with the Sharkman Druid.

I've also fixed all the dialogue scripts associated with the green and grey goblins. You can now join the green goblins and talk to them after the fight.

During character creation, the game will now remind you to select the character's feats.
List of bug fixes in version 1.03
I've fixed so many things in this version, so I'll probably forget to mention a few bug fixes. Anyway, here is the list:
  • Fixed a problem with the Swallow Whole ability whenever you killed a creature that had swallowed a party member that had his or her initiative rank above the acting character. That was a tough bug.
  • Fixed a problem when grappling a creature that has the Energy-Damage On Hit special ability.
  • Fixed a problem that occurred when one of your characters is using a Ready Versus Spell action against a spellcaster who's going to cast a summoning spell.
  • Fixed problems with the psionic power Energy Absorption and the spell Enhance Weapon.
  • Fixed a problem with the Trident Stormbringer losing its improvements.
  • Fixed a problem with repeated experience awards for crossing the chasm.
  • Enemy archers will no longer shoot at targets within Solid Fog or Acid Fog.
  • The Belt of Battle Skill now increases the Base Attack Bonus of a Green Wizard correctly.
  • Fixed problems with the Cleric and Bishop Mysticism Domain Power.
  • Fixed problems with the Greater Spell Focus feat of various character classes.
  • Fixed a problem with merchant stocks of scrolls getting replenished on reload.
  • Fixed a problem with the requirements of the feat Improved Multiattack.
  • Fixed a problem with Amulets of Mighty Fists.
  • Fixed the size of Giant Spider Queen Sattram.
  • Fixed problems with the feats Shield Expertise and Shield Mastery.
  • Fixed a problem when learning a scroll from a stack of spell scrolls.
  • The effect of the spell Enhance Armour no longer stacks with the armour enhancement bonus to AC.
  • During character creation, fixed a problem with Druid Sphere selection.
  • Fixed a problem with the Warpipes of Ice Blast.
  • Fixed a problem with Warlocks getting bonus power points from their intelligence score.
  • Fixed a problem with the feat Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting.
  • Fixed a problem that caused a freeze while exploring the furnace special level.
  • Fixed a problem with using the Respec option to change the Arcane spell selection of a Warlock.
  • Fixed a problem with the Base Attack Bonus of certain character classes.
  • Fixed a problem with the list of modifiers associated with Valorous weapons.
About the audio-related issue
Today I saw on this page https://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=22000.0 that some people had been having problems with OpenAL and SFML. This may be the same issue that a few people have reported with KotC 2.

So, if anyone is still having an audio-related freeze problem with certain sound devices, please could you download from this page https://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html the Win32 and Win64 binaries? Then rename the 32-bit file soft_oal.dll to OpenAL32.dll and paste the file into the system32 folder (if you're using 32-bit Windows) or the SysWOW64 folder (if you're using 64-bit Windows). Be sure to make a copy of the old file OpenAL32.dll before overwriting it. Then please let me know if that changes anything by sending me an email at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com. Thank you! :)

Next steps for KotC 2
I've just received the Steam keys for KotC 1. So in the next few days, I will be sending them out to Kickstarter backers who have a KotC 1 Steam key in their KS rewards, or who have used the add-on option to get one. I'll be sending them out manually, so it will take a bit of time.

Also, I'm going to work on the Mac OS versions of KotC 2 in the next few days. And of course, I will keep improving the Windows version.

Manuel Marino has created another awesome soundtrack for KotC 2. I will add it to the game soon. Thank you so much, Manuel!! :)

Thank You For Your Support, Loyal Knights! Enjoy! ^^

Mortmal

Arcane
Dont understand why people tag this incline, this patch is just adding cheating options, editing stats, adding feats like that every levels, i really dont like that . Bending the rules like that that break completely any enjoyment .So is starting at level 2 instead of redesigning a decent starting area. Thats a cheap answer instead trying to rebalance the module and design fair encounters.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dont understand why people tag this incline, this patch is just adding cheating options, editing stats, adding feats like that every levels, i really dont like that . Bending the rules like that that break completely any enjoyment .So is starting at level 2 instead of redesigning a decent starting area. Thats a cheap answer instead trying to rebalance the module and design fair encounters.
I like the point buy and HP rerolls, but I agree with this. The module needs to be redesigned rather than adding a "God Mode" option and calling it a day.

Mortmal

Arcane
I like the point buy and HP rerolls, but I agree with this. The module needs to be redesigned rather than adding a "God Mode" option and calling it a day.
Point buy is ok , a mid HP option would be too, but there i honestly am losing all interest. I want to stick to a rulset and have finely tuned encounters , not this absurdity.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I was about to say that while more options are always good, it’d be nice to have a default/intended set of options around which the module was created, then remembered the pain and suffering I just got through so, yay?

The Red Knight

Erudite
Making cheat options built-in might also be detrimental on balancing of user modules down the line. You'll have to double-check with players reporting difficulties or breezing through intended-to-be-hard encounters if they're using any cheats options (certainly to some it won't feel like cheating or something worth mentioning if the cheats are bundled with settings like game speed, tokens/sprites switch or music volume).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was about to say that while more options are always good, it’d be nice to have a default/intended set of options around which the module was created, then remembered the pain and suffering I just got through so, yay?

Yeah, a default that can be set by the module author would be a good idea. That way they can set a default as they intended, and then it's up to the players if they want to go against the recommended settings.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
The "easy mode" options make it seem like he thinks the module is just fine, and people who don't like it just want everything to be handed to them.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Because now it's actually playable. I mean what was the point of locking level ups to gold costs?

Mortmal

Arcane
Because now it's actually playable. I mean what was the point of locking level ups to gold costs?
I dout its even better , try chapter 3 and 4 encounter see if its really playable.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Okay, I'm starting to get A BIT annoyed by the last encounters of chapter 3.

"This room is full of acid, you take acid damage every round". Well, let me cast Resistance to Energy. Naaaah, it doesn't work. Okay, maybe the spell only defends against magic acid, fine.

"This room is full of poisonous gas, you take constitution damage every round". Well, let me cast this very high-level spell that gives immunity to ability damage. Naaaah, it doesn't work because fuck you.

"Here's a giant spider, it can one-shot your entire party with a single action". Okay.

benzine

Novice

"This room is full of acid, you take acid damage every round". Well, let me cast Resistance to Energy. Naaaah, it doesn't work. Okay, maybe the spell only defends against magic acid, fine.

"This room is full of poisonous gas, you take constitution damage every round". Well, let me cast this very high-level spell that gives immunity to ability damage. Naaaah, it doesn't work because fuck you.

"Here's a giant spider, it can one-shot your entire party with a single action". Okay.

If you check the damage it's "force", so no resistance will work.
Sometimes you wonder the magic is just in their heads and does no shit against the environment, Basically lazy design, maybe to skip out-of-combat casting? Or no script to check for spell and available spell slot?

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Wow, it's not point-buy. You can just set attributes to anything you want, up to the maximum for the race. What is this nonsense?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Restriction removal, level 2 startup, adjustable stats? Wow, why not just let the game play itself at that point.

You left out the part where the demon shows up.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pierre, your module is poorly designed and not very fair or fun to play.
Pierre: Just use these +5 Swords of Instant Winning that I put into a chest next to the starting area for you to address these concerns.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Removing the level up cost almost makes me feel like trying again, almost. Still for you wise men, I had a question.

You said before that a ranger is absolutely worthless in this game. After witnessing the things up until the realm of firey rape, I'm inclined to agree, but I wanted to ask how often can you get or buy slaying arrows after that - because with all the assorted to-hit boost perks, high DEX and shit like careful shot, you could probably get a reliable very high THC with them even against Pierre's retardo creations, no?

Mind you, this potentially only exacerbates the issue of "keep reloading turn 1 until you get the slaying effect", but you know.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Removing the level up cost almost makes me feel like trying again, almost. Still for you wise men, I had a question.

You said before that a ranger is absolutely worthless in this game. After witnessing the things up until the realm of firey rape, I'm inclined to agree, but I wanted to ask how often can you get or buy slaying arrows after that - because with all the assorted to-hit boost perks, high DEX and shit like careful shot, you could probably get a reliable very high THC with them even against Pierre's retardo creations, no?

Mind you, this potentially only exacerbates the issue of "keep reloading turn 1 until you get the slaying effect", but you know.

As I recall there is a grand total of two slaying arrows in the game, one off the goblins and one I think you find shortly before the gas chamber in the upper sewers.

PrK

Savant
Patron
A lot of the reasoning behind Pierre’s design process can be summed up with because fuck you that’s why.

You think your 20+ dex wizard with raven familiar, improved initiative and boots of +10 initiative will go first? Here are a few enemy mages with the same stats and feats buffed with foresight ready to accelerated malison+mass irresistible dance or double prismatic void you make you reload until you win initiative.

I have to say though that showing when a caster is about to cast defensively or make a concentration check in general would reduce the reloads by a few dozen (still a tiny %, but beggars can’t be choosers..).

I think I found only 2 arrows of slaying, and most dangerous enemies have mirror image up, so.. yeah.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Restriction removal, level 2 startup, adjustable stats? Wow, why not just let the game play itself at that point.

You left out the part where the demon shows up.
I was writing my reply thinking that you were talking about the demon in the poisonous room, but then I realized that a demon might appear also in the spiders room. Please tell me that no demon appear in the spiders room. Please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom