Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

AdolfSatan

Arcane
One thing that's cruelly lacking is inventory space, it should be doubled or tripled at least.
Did i mention having to rely on containers is the worst idea one ever had?

If someone wanted to copy a very user friendly inventory management system, Wizardry 8 comes to mind, when you open a character's inventory, you also open the party inventory and have easy access to everyone's inventory.
It's not perfect because you have to scroll the party inventory but you can order items as you like and in the end, it works quite well.
Problem with shared inventory is that the idea falls apart when you have to split the party for mission. A simpler solution might have been
A single gems bag where every gem you pick goes by default
Spellbooks in casters where all scrolls they pick go to (and are easily browseable) by default as well
Adding sort/filter buttons

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Final battle didn't look that bad on first glance.

And then...

> Constantly spawning high-level, immune-to-everything, prebuffed-up-the-ass casters galore
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA meaning each spellcast is a concentration check
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA because Pierre couldn't add an actual fucking effect for taking damage each turn so the fake-floor is literally all fire squares
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA means I can't use stuff like grease and (especially) quicksand, which means my arsenal against the bullshit mages has just been cut in half
> Since THE FLOOR IS LAVA, every single fucking enemy in this fight is given fire immunity to mask this, EVEN THE FUCKING MUMMIES ARE FIRE-IMMUNE (and that's without even mentioning that they have SLA: Mirror Image because W H Y N O T)
> All cloud effects disappear on next turn because why not I guess, meaning I'm now deprived of both quicksand AND stinking cloud (at least after the first turn of cast) and the retardo casters can run rampant while I continue to bash my face against a brick wall

I feel like declaring war on France

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Final battle didn't look that bad on first glance.

And then...

> Constantly spawning high-level, immune-to-everything, prebuffed-up-the-ass casters galore
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA meaning each spellcast is a concentration check
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA because Pierre couldn't add an actual fucking effect for taking damage each turn so the fake-floor is literally all fire squares
> THE FLOOR IS LAVA means I can't use stuff like grease and (especially) quicksand, which means my arsenal against the bullshit mages has just been cut in half
> Since THE FLOOR IS LAVA, every single fucking enemy in this fight is given fire immunity to mask this, EVEN THE FUCKING MUMMIES ARE FIRE-IMMUNE (and that's without even mentioning that they have SLA: Mirror Image because W H Y N O T)
> All cloud effects disappear on next turn because why not I guess, meaning I'm now deprived of both quicksand AND stinking cloud (at least after the first turn of cast) and the retardo casters can run rampant while I continue to bash my face against a brick wall

I feel like declaring war on France

That's why you kill everything on the first round. :smug:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, that is a tough battle, took me three attempts to finally win before any of the difficulty changes and patches.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
well

202010011041581.jpg

what a stupid fucking game :neveraskedforthis:

Commander Boreale voice pak has made this much less torturous than it would have otherwise been tho.

Also, Bruva Barachiel the sammy is MVP (even if for some STUPID FUCKING REASON nearly each and every single fucking enemy in this fucking castle is IMMUNE TO CRITS BECAUSE WHY NOT I GUESS), fugg da haters

Also2, a collection of fun facts:
- Never in the entire game can you buy or find a single crossbow.
- However, you get to find a few crossbow bolts. A total of 60, I think.
- There is only a single vendor who sells arrows, bolts and bullets, a goblin in chapter 2. Once chapter 3 starts, you never get to find or buy ammunition ever again.
- Similarly, you never get to find a heavy shield. I only noticed after killing the imperial dragon, when I looted the only tower shield, that my fighter had been running with a regular masterwork heavy shield I bought from the ratmen at the start of chapter 2 for all the time.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Still interested in the engine, not really interested in (what sounds like to me) meat grinders.

The options for puzzles and paths is very exciting, and I hope to see other designers take a shot at them.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
202010091838381.jpg

I wanna get stuck in with da boyz

(this party is terrible and I'm sure it's going to crash and burn, but I don't intend to take it further than the second Pizdarra fight)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Barb + storm wammo + monkor + roguey + psychic healer + wizard

:bro:

Thanks, you just proved Jaesede wrong by going back in after clearing the game.

Actually, I'm doing this primarily for research purposes (trying paid level-ups now). Nevertheless, I'm now at the moon crypt and I disagree with Jasede that the game is terrible on a replay, because on my previous playthrough I liked it up until mid-chapter 3, and so far I'm liking it still.

I have to say though, getting enjoyment out of the game is heavily dependent on meta-knowledge of what's coming up, especially when it comes to managing your funds, spell picks and resting early on.

cruelio

Savant
I have to say though, getting enjoyment out of the game is heavily dependent on meta-knowledge of what's coming up, especially when it comes to managing your funds, spell picks and resting early on.

Game is finally good after X failed runs trying to play it naturally and a run with cheat options enabled plus help from the internet. With a mere 100 hours of practice, you too can finally enjoy Pierre's Punching Self in the Dick Simulator.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Barb + storm wammo + monkor + roguey + psychic healer + wizard

:bro:

Thanks, you just proved Jaesede wrong by going back in after clearing the game.

Actually, I'm doing this primarily for research purposes (trying paid level-ups now). Nevertheless, I'm now at the moon crypt and I disagree with Jasede that the game is terrible on a replay, because on my previous playthrough I liked it up until mid-chapter 3, and so far I'm liking it still.

so it’s the TrackMania of RPGs

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Lol, fighting the grey gobs in the arena is hilariously easier compared to greens. Especially since you don't have to fight the kang afterwards.

Also, I'm mostly going through this now to research my earlier theory that the paid level-ups are only a problem until you finish the Moon Crypt if you know what you're doing, and it deffo checks out. After the goblin arena I already have 100k+ geld.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I use psionic fog on a bunch of bugmen. Psionic fog is supposed to provoke concentration checks on all spellcasting, where the target number is 10 + damage taken by the spell + level of the attempted spell + 1 per bonus peepee.

Bugman was hit for 8 damage. Imagine my surprise when the combat log said his concentration check target was 14, and clicking the value said it was only base (10) + the spell he cast (4). It completely skipped the damage and the bonus peepee. Nice.

I wonder how many more things in this game are bugged like this, and you have no idea until you check for them explicitly.

Also nevermind that the damage is supposed to be 1 per 2 caster levels, and this somehow produces 8 damage when cast by a level 13 psychic healer.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, I've just finished my second playthrough - by which I mean I finished chapter 3. I'd have to be stupid to willingly expose myself to the retardation of chapter 4 again. A few closing thoughts:

- The economy is completely bonkers. As I predicted, after leaving the moon crypt you never have to worry about having geld to level-up anymore. In fact, the game drops so much cash and epic-level junk loot that sells for 100k each on you, the attrition aspect flies completely out of the window after that point as well. Even without campfires around, you can just haul ass to the nearest trader and heal everyone to full for a fiver.
- There is a good game hidden under all the insanity, and I think it shines the most after you leave the moon crypt up until late chapter 3, when the obnoxious bullshit begins to appear (spider queen, the undead mob before Xadriphar). Mind you, as evidenced by the greater grap genocide posted above, some bullshit will be less bullshitty for you depending on party composition, but I dare say chapter 4 will be nothing but aggravating nonsense from start to finish nevermind what your party is.
- Otherwise, the post-moon crypt, pre-chapter 4 part of the game is very solid, and I liked most of it quite a bit. The goblin arena and goblin king are probably the highlights for me, though I also liked Pizdarra, the witch coven and the black dragon. I was also surprised at some of the small differences between this and my previous playthrough, like the different things you can do with the tome of the dead if you copy it or don't give it away to the witches. For example - Maphistor appears at the start of chap4 if you don't let the witches summon him, and you can cut a deal with him. Using the staff of reversal, he... actually joins your party.
- Party building is deffo a big strength of the game, and all the three parties I had (including the terrible one from my aborted first playthrough) played very differently, showing different strengths and weaknesses. I was particularly surprised how effective the rogue turned out to be. I was sure he'd be a deadweight, but it was quite the contrary.
- I must say I have absolutely no idea how some of you could have been restarting this game like a dozen times with different parties because you were hitting a wall at some point. I can understand hitting a wall at the moon crypt. The moon crypt is bullshit, particularly the domain of fiery rape. But after that it's mostly smooth sailing up until chapter 4 (and as I said above, every party in existence will probably get assraped in chapter 4). And I say that as someone who doesn't have too big of an idea about D&D, so it's not like my successful parties were munchkins inc., unless I somehow managed to accidentally make munchkin bands, but I strongly doubt it, given that they included "total useless shit (tm)(c)(r)" classes like sammy, rogue and storm warrior, and I never even had a single mantis or half-giant. It also boggles my mind that some of you had to do stuff like xp banking.
- Unfortunately, most of the fun stuff is wasted on the late game bullshit. Late chapter 3 already starts being "tiresome" because combat fatigue kicks in once you realise that you're basically unticking a checklist of encounters left on the map, with very little other stuff to do ("ok so i'll now do the vampire lord, then i can kill the bugmen, then use the campfire and go for the death snare and..."). Then chapter 4 simply leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Chapter 4 is an abomination that shouldn't exist. If you ask me, the spider queen is the final boss of the game, and that's that.
- Though obviously there's also plenty bullshit to come around before the late game. Domain of fiery rape in the moon crypt takes the cake in that regard for sure. I also have a love/hate relationship with the fucking sharkman druid in chapter 1 - this encounter is 75% based on luck, but at the same time something about it is kind of cool, though I can't place my finger on it. Still, another absolute bullshit thing that's been bothering me ever since I noticed it, is that all enemy casters have access to all the spells they can have at their level. This is just stupid, lazy and cheap. And even then they also often pack a bunch of mega-annoying SLAs because having full spellbooks (further bonus points if they are "dual class" casters like warlock/sorcerer) is simply not enough. And don't even get me started about the bullshit arbitrary immunities to critical hits that almost everything starts having from late chapter 3 onward - at first I thought this was just an effect of foresight, but it ain't, since you also have generic evil cultist fighters who are immune to fucking crits.

Blaaaaah.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom