Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If the game is easily moddable, which campaign should I make?

A ) You play as a glantri nobleman in a campaign all about doing experiments on drunk manlets, killing then and reanimating then to serve as undead slaves

B ) You play as a dark lord on the realms of dread, with a nasty curse

C ) Magocracy VS Teocracy ethernal conflict.

D ) Test of the warlords style "tame the wilderness"

E ) Harsh survival setting in a freezing world.

F ) Naval heavy campaiogn.

Z) Kobolds conquer the world.

Sacibengala

Prophet
There's a LOT of great modules for ttrpg to draw inspiration from. The OSR stuff is a sight to behold. Megadungeons included.

jungl

Augur
D would be a good pick. I'm thinking of making a module where you are a farmer that finds portal to a remote plane of fey on your land. Filled with ever changing terrifying wildlife that cross over into your farm. Nonsensical changing geography and a select few bored chaotic fey/undead that make their home there that become aware of you traversing in their plane that now scheme to meddle in your affairs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
egawizards and hyperbeams all the way down.

Nope. I always preferred less flashy spells.

But E, as in Dark Sun in Norway, not any Icewind Dale slog.

I think that if I commit to make a module for KoTC2, I will gonna make something like :

- The world : A Frozen version of Athas. We have zealot priests in some city states and wizard kings in other city states. the church has a complete monopoly on all forms of producing heat which the population desperate needs. Elves are hated by the theocratic city states and dwarfs by the magocratic city states. Arcane magic is viewed as using the power of Demons in theocratic cities hence using any spell that can't be masquarated as psionics a very dangeorous thing in theocratic cities(if I can create custom code for the spells, a system similar to masquerade break from vtmb will exist on this module). Arcane magic can't produce fire in that world, only divine magic. Over 90% of the world population live in the theocracy city states.

The wilderness will be pretty harsh, trolls and jotuns will gonna be relative common and during the winter will gonna exist almost zero trade between the city states. Resting on the wilderness will gonna take heavy toll on the characters. If they have a good source of fire, they will almost certainly attract attention of unwanted frozen monsters and if not, will take a hell of constitution damage and have a high chance of failing when attempting to memorize spells. Magical heat sources which doesn't draw attention are extremely expensive, only available in few city states for those with good relationship with the church and have charges(to prevent rest scumming and make the wilderness dangerous even for high level players). A lot of expeditions to find ancient stuff from the times where "anti athas" was a blue green planet will occur during the summer and even on the summer, resting will gonna be pretty harsh. Meat is rare among the theocracy and among the magocracy, is mostly produced by using exploiting trolls magical regeneration. Metal is expensive and only members of the church or with a license can lawful own metal weaponry.

All ""civilization"" outside of the city states are Barbarian tribes which has supernatural bodies and a religion about ancestral worshiping. They see any form of civilization as a corruption of natural order and a way to make weaklings who doesn't deserve to survive to survive.

The campaign - CHAPTER 1: The campaign will start in a major theocratic city. The starting level will gonna be something like 3~5(3 for arcane casters, 4 for half casters & psionics and 5 for pure martials, as training the magical arts is extremely hard in this world and often did in hidden and the church trains fighters). You will gonna be conscripted into a exploration force to try to find "ancient artifacts" for the holy church on chapter 1.

At end of chapter 1, you will gonna get framed by stealing a artifact and wanting to sell it to a evil necromancer wizard king, tortured with fire and then healed with magic till you ""confess"" and then, sentenced to die in the arena.

CHAPTER 2

The chapter 2 will gonna be all about surviving the winter as a gladiator and making escape plans, so you can maybe reach another city state in next year. You also get branded as a "heretic" by the church, meaning that you can't live in the theocracy anymore. The player should fight like 15 times in arena till the summer comes and he thinks in a escape plan. Using "masquerade break" spells during the arena can mean execution. The ways to escape the arena should include :
  • Seducing the head paladin (only available for females and not dwarves)
  • Developing a polymorph spell, by somehow getting books from executed wizards and assuming guards appearances ( only available for wizards )
  • Convincing everyone to join in a rebellion
  • Using brute force alone (the hardest way)
  • Stealth stealing keys and other items and leaving the city without being noticed
  • (...)
CHAPTER 3 :

The chapter 3 will be the chapter with most survival elements. PC's are expected to be lv 8~11 at this point. You will try to get into the "necropolis" till the end of summer to get answers. There is no hard time limit, but taking too much time means that the game will become extremely harsher as temperature drops. A lot of harsh encounters and optional ruins to explore will exist.

CHAPTER 4 :

When you reach the necropolis, the chapter 4 quest starts. Is similar to BG2:SoA chapter 2, but instead of money, you try to get "reputation" to get a audience with necropolis city leader. Many quests will require leaving necropolis and the city winter will gonna be harsher than the original city winter. The player is expected to be lv 10~14 at end of this chapter depending on how completionist he is.

CHAPTER 5 :

If you are a wizard, he will offers the chance to become a vampire lord after a side quest is completed. If you are a monk, he will offer the chance to establish a monastery on his city and get passive income. Death Knights, will get a chance to train with his Death Knights and each class should get a stronghold, except Clerics. HE don't trust clerics. Arcane casters also gain a wizard tower and can start to research high level magical spells (lv 7+) at high gold cost.

He will ask you to get a harsh mysterious artifact and you learn that the chapter 1 artifact was a orb of mass destruction capable of leveling entire cities and that the guys who he hired to steal it managed to steal but died in the way back to here. With no time to lose, you go in a adventure to get the artifact back and have to make a decision.

CHAPTER 6 :

Trying to find wereabouts about the artifact and expedition, you find that the artifact is now in the hands of a dragon who hates humanity trying to find a way to activate it. You climb a Vulcan mountain, fight the dragon minions and slay the dragon. He would be not only a very strong fighter, but also capable of casting fire spells empowered, maximized as a 20th level caster and reaching the dragon would be very hars, so hard that you will gonna see a lot of corpses of dead adventurers trying to reach the dragon.

CHAPTER 7 :

Now, you chose between siding with necropolis or clerics. If you side with clerics, you get "pardon" and have to defend the city walls from a siege from the alliance of all mages rulers till the clergy learns how to activate the artifact. IF you side the necropolis, same thing. After defending the city, the "cold war" between mages and clerics ends.

You can also destroy the artifact on chapter 6 and skip chapter 7 damming the world to a perpetual state of "cold war".

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
God Almighty. The Soul Sucker Death Snare is by far the hardest thing in the entire module. Fighting a Devil Lord in an enclosed area is absolute nightmare. He gets summoned on top of you, has huge range; due to the range your spellcasters are also in danger of getting annihilated by him. Every time I do it. It takes me a couple of days before I beat it, and it's usually due to something stupid like him rolling low on spell DC. I really don't like how he doesn't let you heal or revive after completing the challenge. The other Death Snare would heal or revive allies, this one doesn't. Belch. My party is all beat up:
0ITLKWS.png
I hate wasting genie rest on this challenge - which can't be helped. There's only like two or three rest spots in the entire Upper Sewers area. At the very least, you can call upon celestial allies to support you, but good luck with that. They will be severely outmatched by the Devil Lord:
Babaus are useless as well. They're just whacking pinatas for him to beat to death. The five negative levels didn't really do much for me either. He'd still obliterate me. I knew I should have made Infinitron a bard. Recent patch brought about so many good skill checks for bard.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
God Almighty. The Soul Sucker Death Snare is by far the hardest thing in the entire module. Fighting a Devil Lord in an enclosed area is absolute nightmare. He gets summoned on top of you, has huge range; due to the range your spellcasters are also in danger of getting annihilated by him. Every time I do it. It takes me a couple of days before I beat it, and it's usually due to something stupid like him rolling low on spell DC. I really don't like how he doesn't let you heal or revive after completing the challenge. The other Death Snare would heal or revive allies, this one doesn't. Belch. My party is all beat up:

I hate wasting genie rest on this challenge - which can't be helped. There's only like two or three rest spots in the entire Upper Sewers area. At the very least, you can call upon celestial allies to support you, but good luck with that. They will be severely outmatched by the Devil Lord:

Babaus are useless as well. They're just whacking pinatas for him to beat to death. The five negative levels didn't really do much for me either. He'd still obliterate me. I knew I should have made Infinitron a bard. Recent patch brought about so many good skill checks for bard.

Negative 5 levels sounds like the best deal.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
There's no magical recipe but i think Vortex of Doom worked here, this and a bit of luck because this combat isn't the hardest but it's the one with no winning strategy, just trial and errors and lucky die rolls.

Is possible to "code" your own classes and spells on kotc2? Like on nwn2? I wanna make a hydromancer for the game.

You can pick a water druid or a mage elementalist, honestly, with all the feats and abilities, there's a lot of different builds for most classes, even more for spellcasters.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Only a very small crowd of gamer enthusiasts are forviging enough for a game that look like solasta, the crowd shrink drastically for something looking like KOTC2 even with the revamp.
I'll take KOTC2 over Solasta any day of the week(if you can still play with tokens)

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This time around. You get help against the Spider Queen of Upper Sewers. Yay! Sad thing is, so does she. Encounter is made harder. On top of the four high level mage spiders she usually gets. There's also another one that spawns from the bottom. That's the trade off. Fun fact! The spider prince who joins your efforts, strikes a resemblance to the one from Dark Sun: Shattered Lands! See, he even wants to open up trade:
Though I don't remember the name of the spider prince from Shattered Lands. Here's a picture of his face:
Anyways, keeping the Prince alive in this game is ball busting hard. Silence doesn't work on the Queen. She has meta magic feats to combat the effect. Grapple works, however, you need to first get through her stupid mirror image. Dispel isn't much help; I had a zero percent chance to dispel the effects. All the Queen has to do is accelerate > big area of effect spell - and you're toast. I did get lucky on killing her with a weird spell (My proudest moment before I died afterwards):
It helped a little bit. Of course, I still had to contend with the other spider mages. Hence me dying afterwards. Statue man had a field day finishing my weak party off.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Two suggestions:
  • Ultra accelerated combat
  • Remove impact effects for the spells that allow it (like magic missiles)
I'd like to see this team against the crones and their stone statues the witches from the tower (same city)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom