Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos module now available

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    If you do get it and play it. Don't forget to send Pierre bug reports if you come across any.

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah I found a Mantis in Character creation.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ProphetSword Arcane Developer

ProphetSword
    Count me among the people that wish I could have been around during the Kickstarter. Anyone know when this will be available for sale?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    You can email Pierre at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com to ask him how to buy a copy. The game isn't "officially available", but you can still buy it directly from him.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. ProphetSword Arcane Developer

ProphetSword
    Did not know that. I thought maybe someone might have heard something about when it would be officially released.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Transfiguring Roar Arcane Patron

Transfiguring Roar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That makes it sound a lot more reasonable. I think I'll go ahead and make the purchase.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. rojay Educated

rojay
    It's not completely bug free but I figure if I'm going to buy it at some point anyway, why not give Pierre more money than I'd spend if I bought it on release at GoG?

Sometimes I make rash decisions.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Dorateen, playing Hearkenwold right now. Really enjoying it.

Only just hit level 4 but lots of skill checks in dialogue so far and some tough but fair encounters. The encounter design reminds me a lot more of the first KOTC than KOTC2 which is a good thing in my opinion.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. rojay Educated

rojay
    I emailed Pierre and bought the game a few days ago. It's the first game I've bought full price in a decade, but I liked KotC.

I was reading my way through this thread when I realized that while I am getting CTD pretty often, I'm not facing as many bugs as people experienced a year ago. Still, it's not anywhere near ready for a final release.

Pierre did a great job with the AI for combat, and I suspect there will be good modules released eventually. I wish the ToEE engine was as easily mod-able.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Dude, you and me both buddy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So I completed Augury of Chaos many patches ago with much savescumming and gnashing of teeth. After finishing Hearkenwold (superb module btw, all glory to Dorateen) and still having the itch for Pierre's whacky 3.5. I decided to give AOC a replay.

Out of curiosity I decided to try it on the new "Normal" difficulty that Pierre added (quite recently?).

First things: The new village map has some fairly challenging encounters that can get you to level 2 (and perhaps higher) before you start the sewers. I'd suggest killing the bandits at the start rather than negotiating with them, as it gives you more gear and XP from what I can tell.

Pierre seems to have removed or shifted around some of the encounters, I'm not sure if this is a general change he has made or a result of playing on the normal difficulty setting. The minotaur mage encounter that spawns just after you get dumped naked didn't appear for instance.

The crone fight was still tough as nails, but very enjoyable. Feeblemind and control body were the keys to winning this encounter, still took many attempts though. It seems as though he nerfed their saves slightly here, probably to give you a better chance of landing save or suck spells without a ton of savescumming. This is as far as I've currently got.

Overall, I'm having a much more enjoyable time with it on this "normal" difficulty setting than I did when I completed the game a while back. The encounters feel fairer in many ways, and I think Pierre has taken some of the legit criticisms on board.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 10
    • nice nice x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    Pierre is determined to release it as bug free as possible and feature complete on steam, probably including steam success and shit, it could take a while.

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/3258931

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  14. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    I logged in just to brofist that post! God bless Pierre and his game.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Was it too much work to just type nude hottie? :lol:

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    The icon search will be very helpful in the editor. Hearkenwold has a folder that contains 817 images. It could be tedious to sort through.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    The game keeps on truckin'

Time for a new playthrough soon :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    I'm going in, one month to complete the game before the next update.

Half-Giant Barbarian -- Two-handed brute with the STR Barb perks + rage, i'll go full damage and try to craft a +1 2H weapon with best damage enhancers
    Centaur Fighter -- Probably dual weapons (main skewer weapon which i'll switch off before the fourth chapter)
    High-Elf Bard
    Stygian-Human Psionicist
    Deep-Kobold Red Wizard (initiative familiar)
    Argossian-Human Druid (Geomancer)

Last one will be either the Druid or a "undecided" Cleric with 2 domains increasing healing spells range/power but i think i'm going without a cleric this time.

Geomancer for earthquake mostly, this spell is just great and hits a wide area, useful when it matters, also, never tried it and the crystal golem might be good.
    Aeromancer druid with the improved Sirocco also working on gargantuan monsters and better guts of wind spells is also quite good but i used this one more than once already.
    Quicksand is just too good and then there's earthquake or better Sirocco, druid spells are just better than cleric ones and there's scrolls, maybe i'll even use Erz as a weaker cleric this time.

First time using a bard or a barbarian in KotC 2, i'm not sure how that team will fare but with luck, the bard songs will do what my usual Death Knight do (reducing enemies saving throws) in a wider area or just increasing my spells DC.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Just finished my playthrough on normal difficulty. It was still an extremely challenging playthrough and some fights required a lot of attempts, but it felt a lot "fairer" than my original playthrough shortly after release.

Many fights were winnable even with botched initiative rolls and bad RNG on saves.

I used:
    Gladiator
    Fighter
    Rogue
    Cleric
    Psionicist
    Wizard

I'd recommend that anyone who wrote the original module off gives it another go on normal.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  21. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Unless you have a hotline to Pierre's psychiatrist I think your guess is as good as anyone else's

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    The new village content is quite good, I didn't split the party, beat everyone to a pulp and then went for the extra fight, quite entertaining and not too tough.

Of course, the optional spider fight is something else and the elevation is not helping, well, characters below don't get stuck into spiderweb at least.

Show Spoiler
    The Troll fight was quite weird, i lost initiative and reloaded after a cleric threw pandemonium on my two fighters and the bard and when i did, 4 allies survivors from the previous fight were still there (they left the first time) and i won the initiative which allowed me to block the opponents clerics before things got too hairy.

And some psionicist grease to finish off the troll, while some grease kept him at bay while i was cleaning the southern area.

Show Spoiler
    Got a nice warhammer for my trouble, worth saving some spell slots for the optional combat.

Still, i have no clue how to beat the spiders with a level 1 party, short of save-scumming until you get lucky with sleep.

Also, psi-bugs DR must have been bugged last time i tried v1.14 probably because they only took 1 damage per hit while this time, i could hit them hard.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    ^ Top  
  23. vazha Erudite

vazha
    Dorateen How long is Hearkenwold? would i get a weekends worth of turn based goodness out of it?

^ Top  
  24. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    I have received feedback of between 20 and 30 hours. That is a good estimate, although it depends on your party and how much you complete. The module is open-ended and nonlinear.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    I think i'm going to craft a valorous (double static + STR weapon damage on charge) + destruction (+3D6 base weapon damage, not sure if it works with valorous but if it does it's a mini-skewer on each charge) weapon for my Centaur Fighter when i reach the crones.

And probably a vorpal something for the bard at some point, to compare, maybe a force weapon too if i can when he gets good enough for dual-wielding or for the fighter second hand.

As for our "favorite" scarecrows:

Salamander
    Show Spoiler
    Silence works well but quicksand works even better and then the lvl 1 pebble druid spell does "insane damage" 3x10 on average for a lvl 5 druid...

Djinn
    Show Spoiler
    Hideous laughter has a good chance to land and if it does, the fight is over.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.