Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Mortmal

Arcane
Pogs using classic fantasy art would work too.

There's 2 packs you can use on nexusmods, one huge sprites pack on heroicfantasy games forum (i prefer Dorateen's Goldbox import by far)

Also, the Goldbox sprites used by Dorateen , I suppose it's easy enough to extract them from the mod files.

There were more packs from this thread but there's 200 pages to browse...
I know i did my own too with d&d tokens to replace the monsters ,heroes tokens are not enough. It should have been way better to have a license for them from the begining and not even bother with 3D mdoels.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Also, here's some semi-official information:

About the spiders, i was asking him a video of him killing those fucking village spiders with a level 1 party.

Translated: Ahahaha! You just wait, the village isn't complete yet. I think the spiders will talk with your party.

Other intel:
  • Barbarian revamp postponed after the official release, maybe a patch next year or with the next module.
  • Steam release planned for November.
  • Xadriphar (the lich) might become a recurrent villain he might come back for augury's final fight if you can't ban him and even in next module.
  • Some math problems from the chess master might become skippable.
  • Maybe a ki-focus feat for the monks so they'll be able to use their ki powers while armed (or with some special weapons)
  • Unfortunately, no dual or multi-class will be added "but a lot of other cool stuff are planned" and that last part is a quote...
Also, another extremely useful info you didn't ask for, Pierre reads Lilura's blog.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And on and on I wait. I get the feeling my replay with the kobold all-stars will be a curbstomp considering all the concessions he's making.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
After all is said and done. I wonder if a full monk party can work. Never tried full melee. Sounds painful. However, from the KI Powers, Monk Weapons, and being able to use them while wielding weapons. It makes the monk player think. I can have different monk builds focus on different things.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And on and on I wait. I get the feeling my replay with the kobold all-stars will be a curbstomp considering all the concessions he's making.

I don't think so, the main game is as difficult as it ever was depending on your difficulty settings.
Even harder here and there as reinforcements now spam even if you finish the fight early or kill the triggering enemies.

After all is said and done. I wonder if a full monk party can work. Never tried full melee. Sounds painful. However, from the KI Powers, Monk Weapons, and being able to use them while wielding weapons. It makes the monk player think. I can have different monk builds focus on different things.

I don't know about 6 identical classes, i don't understand why anyone would inflict that upon himself but it'll certainly make the monk more appealing, a party with monk + samurai as melee characters + the usual casters and hybrids could be fun.

Samurai and +1 Skewer destructive weapon and high crit multiplier (4 or 5) = profit.

Monk + wade in + battle skill belt and ki-weapon would do wonders too.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Even harder here and there as reinforcements now spam even if you finish the fight early or kill the triggering enemies.
Wait. Does this mean the Devil Lord at high sewers Death Snare will still spawn regardless if you manage to rush or grapple the Mastermind mind flayer? There used to be a way to prevent Devil Lord from spawning by grappling the mind flayer. If so. That's rough. It's a pretty difficult challenge - fighting big Devil Lord in enclosed area. He also spawns right on top of you too. Having easy melee reach on your party. Unless you took the time to reposition everyone.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wait. Does this mean the Devil Lord at high sewers Death Snare will still spawn regardless if you manage to rush or grapple the Mastermind mind flayer? There used to be a way to prevent Devil Lord from spawning by grappling the mind flayer. If so. That's rough. It's a pretty difficult challenge - fighting big Devil Lord in enclosed area. He also spawns right on top of you too. Having easy melee reach on your party. Unless you took the time to reposition everyone.

I think so but there is some dialog options to delay him, confuse him, dominate him for 1/2 turns or banish him (heresy, you'd miss some xp and loot, you fool!)

Last playthrough, i dominated him or confused him, i'm not sure, it kind of helped to clear/tank the trash on his side.

So, for Tweed, yes, that part was easier but you can chose not to do anything or you could not have the right skills and the combat is just the same.

As for the grapple to prevent him from spawning the demon, i have no idea, maybe it'll still spawn later after you killed the boss, i am now in doubt.

Last edited:

Tomas

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Gave it another try this weekend with the new version but still no dice. Had animal trance, color spray, stomp, grease and 3 summons (skeleton was decent) going, and level 2 party. One thing is that the party starts with “ceremonial” armor - looks real but zero ac (don’t think that is the problem though). So I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what the plan is for that encounter.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Gave it another try this weekend with the new version but still no dice. Had animal trance, color spray, stomp, grease and 3 summons (skeleton was decent) going, and level 2 party. One thing is that the party starts with “ceremonial” armor - looks real but zero ac (don’t think that is the problem though). So I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what the plan is for that encounter.

A Bishop with aberration and celerity domains can cast haste (mass haste actually) and summon the tentacled horror, if there's a level 2 party able to defeat those spiders as they are now, this Bishop has to be in.

Also, now the bard songs can bypass some of the height difference, he could be a fine addition too, otherwise, a druid is fine, well, a geomancer really makes things easier later on.

+ Wiz, psion, maybe a gladiator and a DK

The only drawback is this party would be weaker later on without the druid and without the fighter's wade in, but mostly the druid.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Try it with the silence scroll that you can buy from shopkeeper in guard tower. That's how I win the fight. By using silence on spider queen.

With a level 1 party?

I only fought him once in each of my latest playthrough and i used silence but even if she's less lethal, she can cast some shit while silenced so it's not enough and animal trance will only affect one spider if it lands and i also used it.

So this strategy isn't enough except if you get a shitload of lucky rolls.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

A Bishop with aberration and celerity domains can cast haste (mass haste actually) and summon the tentacled horror, if there's a level 2 party able to defeat those spiders as they are now, this Bishop has to be in.
A Cleric with Aberration is enough: with some luck (well, more than "some"), the tentacled horror can deal with the spiders on its own (provided that the AI doesn't decide to try a useless grapple instead of using all its attacks). I managed to kill them with Fighter, Death Knight, Cleric, Druid, Psion, and Wizard.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Darth Canoli Here:

Since Pierre couldn't provide a video of him beating Spider Queen at level 1 on Archmage Mode. I'll provide mine. Key notes. Silence turned out to not be very good. It worked for me last time when I could surround her, while also eliminating the other spiders. Didn't work this time because her allies were still alive. It also got in the way of spells/buffs. Another thing, Bard songs don't work on allies if they're in silence bubble. Offensive spells don't work either. I ultimately had to dismiss it mid fight. Tentacled Summon - this applies to summons in general - will make poor use of action economy. I wish I could control summons myself. Anyways, the thing will waste turns trying to grapple instead of attacking with its high BAB 6 iteratives. Grapple won't work because none of my units can land a hit on her. The other disadvantage of grapple is that it prevents Tentacled Horror from using the 6 iteratives it has.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
Darth Canoli Here:

Since Pierre couldn't provide a video of him beating Spider Queen at level 1 on Archmage Mode. I'll provide mine. Key notes. Silence turned out to not be very good. It worked for me last time when I could surround her, while also eliminating the other spiders. Didn't work this time because her allies were still alive. It also got in the way of spells/buffs. Bard songs didn't work on allies if they're in silence bubble. Offensive spells don't work either. I ultimately had to dismiss it mid fight. Tentacled Summon - this applies to summons in general - will make poor use of action economy. I wish I could control summons myself. Anyways, the thing will waste turns trying to grapple instead of attacking with its high BAB 6 iteratives. Grapple won't work because none of my units can land a hit on her. The other disadvantage of grapple is that it prevents Tentacled Horror from using the 6 iteratives it has.

Is... is this ingame music?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Pink Eye I didn't need a video confirmation from you, i only asked Pierre about it since he was really the underdog in every video he posted but maybe he handed the keyboard to his nephew or his neighbor.

You're right on time, i think the village will be completed by next update so it's now or never.

Tomas

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So I finally beat the encounter. It was normal difficulty, everything standard with level 2 party and everyone survived. Did not use the Silence scroll, but did use the two magic stone scrolls (good for getting rid off the mirror images). I think the key was Animal Trance that stuck and kept the Queen fascinated for couple turns which allowed time to deal with her minions. And then just surround her and put grease under her.

Still, whatever the final plan is for the encounter if fighting is an option it should not be this hard. There is no way new players are going to know these tricks or even how to build a viable party to begin with.

Here is my party:
Frost brother fighter
Mul gladiator
Cloudtop cleric mystic traveler
Lightfoot geomancer
High elf blue wizard
Stygian psionicist

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Not really. Pierre knows level design. For example. In first Death Snare Challenge with Undead. He gives you a mace that can annihilate undead in one hit. He also gives you consumables and other things to help you. When you get to the second part of the challenge - the furnace with fire creatures - he gives you loads of cold spells to combat the fiery beings. He's also still working on the Upper Sewers too. For instance, the fact that he's still addressing the Spider Queen encounter. Acid Death Snare got addressed with how you can delay the Devil Lord. Or have him be on your side. Then there's the Castle Siege which Pierre is constantly working on.

Knights of the Chalice 2 is still under development. You have to understand that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Apply to everything later too , working as intended....

Just bring a DK + a bard and you get +2 to +6 (+10% to +30%) on every spell target within the DK's aura (3 tiles?)
There's even a wizard spell to do this as well, so, no, later on, you're the master of your destiny.

Also, a lot of overpowered classes and spells, wizards are overpowered, spell acceleration and a lot of powerful spells, psionicist (same), samourai + skewer weapon, mantis gladiator (or half giant), half giant barbarian + skewer, fighter (wade-in), geomancer (earth druid) with quicksand, earthquake, sirocco but the wider quicksand alone is a game changer ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom