Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos module now available

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    That particular issue is that the line is placed too low, cutting through one of the portraits. It's not a big problem, but a very simple one to spot and fix, which makes it kind of like watching someone fail to write their name on a line properly and writing crookedly down into it.

I'm not a big layout guy (I doubt many people here are, there'd be better places to get free advice) but I know what I like and that isn't it. In both the inventory and the battlefield (background and tokens) there's a lot more detail than there needs to be. A lot. I've heard another developers refer to the same sort of thing as 'greebles' when writing a blog post about their design. Visual elements that would be nice to look at on a piece of artwork in a vacuum that are distracting to the eye in the context of an interface. And the battlefield is also an interface. Things like shadows, textured menus and too many colours being used. Or in the battlefields, having parts of what is functionally uniform terrain be more dirty and textured than other parts.

I mentioned it a while back, but I think Rimworld is a great example of a good set of low budget graphics. It's a very complicated game where noticing details like a bit of medicine or a gun being left outdoors is important, or a small gap in a wall, etc. But it makes notcing those things very easy. I would be more than happy to play KotC 2 on Rimworld's tileset (anachronism of spaceships vs fantasy notwithstanding) with sprites that simple looking. The menus are also well done. The majority are one or two background colours and white text, all the same font with perhaps two difference sizes being used for headers and information. The injuries screen is more complex but only the bare minimum of what it needs to convey everything at a glance.

Props to you for actually taking feedback on this stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. Ontopoly Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot

Ontopoly
    Swen is a soulless passionless cunt and I didn't take you for a Larian cultist.

• STOP! posting x 6
    • butthurt x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Edgy x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    He's very butthurt about Baldur's Gate 3. Very butthurt. I'm talking can't sit down ever again butthurt.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ontopoly Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot

Ontopoly
    These people... Look at them... They try to shame passion

• butthurt butthurt x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    No, it's definitely butthurt.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    KoTC means a lot to me because when the game was released, I had terrible, horrible dry eyes that I was not able to fix. They were so painful that I couldn't read for very long and thought I would fail my University semester. This was a very discouraging time to say the least. Playing video games, with constant motion, would trigger too much pain and was out of the question.

KoTC was an exception because there was almost no motion on screen. I finally completed it right around the end of my last semester. I still think to this day that it gave me courage to continue on and that it helped me be still motivated to study. For some of the required reading, I managed to find audio versions of the same books to digest all the content without too much strain. All in all, although on that semester my grades were terrible, I managed to pass every course and successfully graduated.

And later that year I found the source of the issue and considerably reduced the symptoms. I still have dry eye to this day, but to a much more manageable level that allows me to live a normal life.

Consider my contribution to the Kickstarter guaranteed.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ontopoly Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot

Ontopoly
    Are you trying to say it would take a blind man to enjoy his game? Kind of harsh

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    I miss the sprites too but I really don't get all the complaining.

Anyone who played the game knows that the only thing that mattered in it was the brilliantly recreated D&D tactical combat, that was still extremely easy to pick up and play.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  9. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm surprised at the amount of graphic whoring in this thread. The first game delivered superb tactical combat, and that's all I really want out of the second game.

• Brofist x 7
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Don't think it's graphic whoring as much as it is concerns about how easy it should be to parse information.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Grimlorn Filthy Kalinite

Grimlorn
    I Have Disgusting Opinions
    [​IMG]
    Did anyone ever figure out this puzzle?

• No No x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Get the fuck outta here :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    fixed

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    'k

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ladonna Arcane

Ladonna
    This is going to be a great game. I can already see so many modules being remade using this toolset too. Fuck the graphics whore retards.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. AdolfSatan Erudite

AdolfSatan
    A conspicuous lack of blinking?

The lack of a proper reference is making it quite hard, I'm getting a couple of different outcomes and am finding it hard to call the shots as to which might be the right one.

One recommendation: pay attention to the second word.
    And if anyone wants some direction, I'll tell you that of all my guesses the one I like the most makes a phrase related to:
    Show Spoiler
    EDITED as I made a mistake on my first interpretation. It is related to the title of the game

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Now thats going in a good direction BlueSalamander , its indeed for the best to have a vote from backers, or come here , remember the codex is always there to help.I know we cant expect top tier 2D art on a budget, but there must be a middle ground , willing artists on deviant art, and a way to avoid another industrial accident.
    And help we can provide, i've designed a little exercise to fight your phobia for good art , its well know by therapists, you alternate pics of the phobia with reassuring pics so the patient adapt himself. So have a look at the first pic, breath, then scroll to the second .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK . then next.. OMG he's having a seizure, we are loosing him ! Look at me in the eyes pierre , think of the roots,think of those juicy healing roots , focus !

[​IMG]

Breath pierre breath!
    [​IMG]

Scroll down , good, you are getting there!

[​IMG]

ok more tame
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok that should be enough for today session !

• Funny x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • not sure if serious x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Artistic x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. AdolfSatan Erudite

AdolfSatan
    None of those paintings are "good art". Hell, the first one is rather shabby and the second is downright awful.

• Edgy Edgy x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    It's not top tier, i took deviant art less known artists on purpose .

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    AdolfSatan link what you like that might help.

^ Top  
  21. Ladonna Arcane

Ladonna
    Are the maps going to be straight 2D? Or will they have 3D layers for higher/lower floors?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. AdolfSatan Erudite

AdolfSatan
    No point to it, Pierre's been quite clear about his intentions and I actually do find it commendable that he's focusing on the stuff that matters the most first. We're just beating a dead horse here, either the ks reaches the necessary amount to outsource the art or modding will take care of it in time.

Rpguy why the what rating? Did I fail to make myself clear or have you arrived at an wildly different solution for the puzzle?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Rpguy Arcane Patron

Rpguy
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Just not clear (for me), I have no solution.

^ Top  
  24. AdolfSatan Erudite

AdolfSatan
    Ok, let me clarify: Look at the second word, it has 8 characters, 3 repeated. That should narrow the possibilities down a bit.
    What confuses me is the shields at both sides, I don't understand whether they serve a funcion or are merely decorative.

^ Top  
  25. Rpguy Arcane Patron

Rpguy
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.