Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Kickstarters get a ton (most if I'm not mistaken) of their money from the big spenders too. Not the guys chipping in <20$ but the guys giving >100$. Those high reward tiers add up real fucking quick, and I'm sure there are plenty of nerds out there who'd be happy to shell out a couple hundred to have an NPC or item named after them, or get to design a character (as you'd build a PC) and have them put in the game. Even 100k would be an easy goal for him to reach with incentives like that, I'd wager. He's got a forum membership of nearly 400; and most of those are probably pretty diehard fans, considering it's a forum for just one relatively small game with little to talk about. I'm sure he could get at least 5x that in 20$ sales and a sizeable portion of it in big spenders. Probably more like 10x in sales and an equal amount spent on the high tiers.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Maybe i will pledge if the graphics is not dots on screen fighting like in the first one.

Murk

Arcane
Graphics were fine, perspective was painful (especially when large characters/monsters moved north resulting in this weird rotation display reminiscent of MS Word text-boxes that are rotated).

Regardless, I played the living shit out of it and I loved it. I'd definitely back this up as the guy's more than proven himself capable, but I can understand the concerns some have over it not getting enough attention.

I suppose it would be up to people like us blathering on and on about it to whatever sources of potential support we are aware of.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
But please do it next year. It's almost December, I will not pledge for some vapourware again.

NecrosD

Novice
Would back this in a heartbeat. KoTC was easily the best game released in fucking ages. Also graphics were fine, people bitching and not playing this because they're graphic whores need to man the fuck up and play this. Great game solid and easy to navigate interface with all the information you need easily displayed. Graphics really aren't that different from games like Ultima VII or Dark Sun which I assume at least some of you guys would have played - though can't be too sure with the way the codex is these days

almondblight

Arcane
The graphics were fine when you were playing it, but looked bad in the screenshots. If someone gave the game a cursory overview, they'd see poor graphics, a generic sounding name, and only three classes. Given the amount of shovelware that's out there these days, it's not uncommon for people to just spend 30 seconds looking at a game before deciding whether they are going to move on or not.

Anyway, I think he's got a decent shot at making the target if he has some decent looking screens/mockups and - more importantly - some decent looking art. Hell, Conclave got 75k, and I imagine KoTC 2 will look at least as good.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I thought he had dropped KotC2 to focus on some RTS game anyway.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He should first release original KoTC for a smaller price, in order to get more name recognition for it.

And on Steam. Why the fuck it isnt on Steam? With the amount of shovelware there I dont think they have a good excuse for not accepting KotC.

Murk

Arcane
For a game like KotC I think it should be everywhere, even if only raking in a few hundred bucks. It's probably the only "low-fi" indie game that appeals to me on nearly all levels and demonstrates how one doesn't have to come up with a stupid gimmick to be enjoyable (many XBLA and PSN indie games are gimmicks), KotC is a legitimate game, and awesome to boot. The additional exposure may give it more "acclaim" and interest -- that may not translate to sales but it may translate to more support should a sequel come out; one that I would gladly support and word-of-mouth as much as I could.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
For a one-man team it's all about choices as to what best spend your time on. Years after launch, the potential effectiveness of promotion, which takes quite a bit of time, needs to be weighed against the benefit of further development. A difficult choice but it seems Pierre made it a while ago. He probably needs to bunker down until he has something to show for the sequel that is worthy of interest. Then the promotion can be directed towards crowd or apha funding and serve a more worthwhile purpose. Just my 2c.

Murk

Arcane
I do not think the two are mutually exclusive. I am sure it takes some effort to ask the digital distributors "hey, will you sell my game" -- but I do not see it as a situation where people would/should say "no" -- especially a site like GoG. Yes, KotC is not an old game but it's definitely made to look/feel like an old game (even if it plays as smooth as silk). Anyway, I'll stop before I put my foot in my mouth out of ignorance of how these things work -- but I imagine he can simply send a few emails to the appropriate sources and see if they are willing to carry his game at whatever price he is comfortable with.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I do not think the two are mutually exclusive. I am sure it takes some effort to ask the digital distributors "hey, will you sell my game" -- but I do not see it as a situation where people would/should say "no" -- especially a site like GoG. Yes, KotC is not an old game but it's definitely made to look/feel like an old game (even if it plays as smooth as silk). Anyway, I'll stop before I put my foot in my mouth out of ignorance of how these things work -- but I imagine he can simply send a few emails to the appropriate sources and see if they are willing to carry his game at whatever price he is comfortable with.

I agree, GoG isn't much of an effort. They go to great lengths to answer requests promptly.

http://af.gog.com/support/contact/business?as=1649904300

A Steam Greenlight would take but an hour, given he already has a trailer. Contacting press, however, is trickier.

Contacting Gog could potentially lead to an acceptance, which is newsworthy. The potential coverage of such news can be used to hype a KS, which requires increasingly tight preparation. So choosing the right time for Gog still matters. Doing it now vs later has its pros (immediate sales if accepted) and cons (some lost coverage opportunity for a later KS).

That's as far as I'll go toward giving advice. I am quite unproven at this.

Murk

Arcane
Charles, I hear ya and it seems pretty legit, but I too am just "an guy" or whatevs. :bro:

hydd

He's really been against it the whole time (that is an old thread). I can't say I blame him. KS looks like A LOT of work. Also KOTC1 got RPS coverage, so the potential for doing much better is limited. There's the graphics, then there's the actual size of the stat heavy RPG niche. Pretty and lightweight for a good relaxing play after work seems the way to go, unfortunately.

I actually brought up that Kickstarter was open to the UK on November 1st (Link Here). Check the date of the recent replies, they're all within a few weeks.

Looks interested to me. Crossing my fingers.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
He's really been against it the whole time (that is an old thread). I can't say I blame him. KS looks like A LOT of work. Also KOTC1 got RPS coverage, so the potential for doing much better is limited. There's the graphics, then there's the actual size of the stat heavy RPG niche. Pretty and lightweight for a good relaxing play after work seems the way to go, unfortunately.

I actually brought up that Kickstarter was open to the UK on November 1st (Link Here). Check the date of the recent replies, they're all within a few weeks.

Looks interested to me. Crossing my fingers.

You're right, thngs have evolved in the last few weeks. That comment of mine is a bit too negative. I actually did read that too. It isn't that he isn't interested, just that he wants good progress made first so it isn't for right away.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
KoTC was a great game. Veteran Codexians will recall it was I, Andhaira, who interviewed this guy before most here knew anything about the game (while it was still in development)

I just wish KoTC used Eschalon's graphics...that would make this one of the best series of all timez.

betamin

Learned
Just replaying KotC, awesome game. All you bitches that can't play it because of the graphics should man the fuck up.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't want to get beaten up for making a new thread, so I'll just necro this one. I think it's close enough. I decided to check out KotC2, just to see what was up with it and found that he has been posting updates. I guess it may happen after all.
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=213&p=4271#p4271

I searched just a little and didn't see any recent talk about the game on this forum. I hope it's at least as good as the first one. I can't view any of the updates, so I don't even know what's going on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't want to get beaten up for making a new thread, so I'll just necro this one. I think it's close enough. I decided to check out KotC2, just to see what was up with it and found that he has been posting updates. I guess it may happen after all.

I searched just a little and didn't see any recent talk about the game on this forum. I hope it's at least as good as the first one. I can't view any of the updates, so I don't even know what's going on.

They're for owners of KOTC only. :facepalm: At least he's working on it.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

They're for owners of KOTC only. :facepalm: At least he's working on it.
I own KOTC, but I guess I just don't remember the login and password I used. Can somebody go in and get the good infos?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom