Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Aegidius

Educated
What the fuck does '+ one playable adventure module' mean? Is he talking about a DLC/expansion? Fucking confusing

Yes. He has built KoTC2 Augury of Chaos already. That will supposedly be released via download on his website right after the KS ends (if funded). Then for those at the right tier he will get the Steam keys out (I'm guessing a few weeks later).

The first 15k pounds from the kickstarter is to build three connected Adventure modules using the KoTC2 toolset. Depending what level you fund at you get 0, 1, 2, or all three new modules. I believe Diamond level is the cheapest pledge to get the Augury of Chaos plus the three new modules plus some other stuff. I think he said it will take him a year or so to build all three modules. Take that with a grain of salt.

IIRC Adventure module is terminology from the old PnP DnD days. TSR would sell new DnD adventures and called them Adventure Modules (the most famous were multiple modules with a connected story line). So he is just using old school PnP terminology vs. computer game DLC / Expansion terminology.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait, right after? So KOTC2 will be released in a month? Oh god

Also for those doing Steam keys, yeah, it's Pierre, he'll probably need 4 months to refile the Steam final version because one of the drop-down menus didn't have the right options and he got stuck

Yosharian

Arcane
What the fuck does '+ one playable adventure module' mean? Is he talking about a DLC/expansion? Fucking confusing

Yes. He has built KoTC2 Augury of Chaos already. That will supposedly be released via download on his website right after the KS ends (if funded). Then for those at the right tier he will get the Steam keys out (I'm guessing a few weeks later).

The first 15k pounds from the kickstarter is to build three connected Adventure modules using the KoTC2 toolset. Depending what level you fund at you get 0, 1, 2, or all three new modules. I believe Diamond level is the cheapest pledge to get the Augury of Chaos plus the three new modules plus some other stuff. I think he said it will take him a year or so to build all three modules. Take that with a grain of salt.

IIRC Adventure module is terminology from the old PnP DnD days. TSR would sell new DnD adventures and called them Adventure Modules (the most famous were multiple modules with a connected story line). So he is just using old school PnP terminology vs. computer game DLC / Expansion terminology.
I mean I know what an adventure module is, I just didn't understand if he meant a separate PnP adventure or something added to the game, it was a little confusing. But thanks for the explanation.

So what's the consensus regarding these adventures?

We're looking at £65 ($79) for the game and all three 'modules', vs £28 ($34) for just the base game on Steam.

Worth it?

Seems rather steep to me.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Pierre makes what is broadly regarded as the finest TB combat encounters in a CRPG. Mechanically, KoTC is an objectively first rate implementation of party-based, turn-based tactical D&D combat in a CRPG. KoTC2, with three modules and tools to create detailed community campaigns could possibly the best value in D&D computer gaming since Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. Time will tell, but he's already hit a home run with KoTC, so people are pretty optimistic.

Yosharian

Arcane
Pierre makes what is broadly regarded as the finest TB combat encounters in a CRPG. Mechanically, KoTC is an objectively first rate implementation of party-based, turn-based tactical D&D combat in a CRPG. KoTC2, with three modules and tools to create detailed community campaigns could possibly the best value in D&D computer gaming since Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. Time will tell, but he's already hit a home run with KoTC, so people are pretty optimistic.
Alright, fuck it, you convinced me. My wallet hates you tho

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It is definitely steep to buy a game plus all DLCs at once, but I think it makes sense for a fundraiser. Better than a T-Shirt, a poster or those other KS rewards that people usually do.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Pierre is a bit odd. He hates money, but when he decides to sell something he insists on top dollar for his indie games.

Last edited:

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Pierre is a bit odd. He hates money, but when he decides to sell something he insists on top dollar for his indie games.
I don't know that he hates money he could make better choices with pricing. E.g. it would probably have been a good idea to price KOTC 1 lower when he released it on steam to get more people into it so it would gain a Very Positive review score rather than sitting at Positive thus increasing player base. Apparently the way the percentages work you need a certain total number of reviews before going up to Very Positive even if a game has achieved the required proportion of positive to negative.

Aegidius

Educated
It is definitely steep to buy a game plus all DLCs at once, but I think it makes sense for a fundraiser. Better than a T-Shirt, a poster or those other KS rewards that people usually do.

I gave Pierre a few suggestions regarding his structure and pricing of the KS. He took some of the advice but held pretty firm on pricing. I thought he should give a progressively larger discount the more modules you purchased. I think he knows his fan base since, despite the pricing, I and I think lot of people looking for the additional modules went straight to Diamond Knight. My fear for his KS is after his current fans finish backing, the pricing will deter a lot of first time people from taking the plunge and backing his product. Hope I'm wrong and he gets a bunch of new support.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
I generally am not a fan of stretch goals. So many devs burn out under the weight of promises made during a campaign. Pierre has tied stretch goals to realistic and expensive things such as implementing sprites, paying an artist for better art, etc. which is good by me. I backed at Diamond Knight which gives me three Pierre modules with his great encounters, so I will get full value without any stretch goals.

Ladonna

Arcane
iu

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2848365

Update #3: Character Classes video!

The first day of the campaign is nearly over, and we've very nearly reached the campaign's goal!

I have just uploaded the second video in support of the KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign.

The second video presents the main strengths, weaknesses and synergies of each of the 22 character classes in KotC 2. There will be separate Kickstarter updates for the three additional classes of Spell Weaver, Summoner and Necromancer.

The link on Youtube is: https://youtu.be/B_9vFGuTGuo

Tomorrow I will post on Youtube the six-minute trailer of KotC 2.

In a short while, I will post another update here about the first three companions in the KotC 2 trilogy! :)

Thank you for the awesome support everyone!! Have a great day! :)

Mortmal

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom