Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Outmind

Augur
I'm kinda sad to see he replaced the top-down 2D sprites with these token-like thingies. it makes the game look more like something you'd play with folks over at Roll20.

Then again, maybe that's the kind of look he wanted all along, kind of a tabletop to monitor transition.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm kinda sad to see he replaced the top-down 2D sprites with these token-like thingies. it makes the game look more like something you'd play with folks over at Roll20.

Then again, maybe that's the kind of look he wanted all along, kind of a tabletop to monitor transition.

You'll have the option to play with the old sprites of KOTC1 and there are stretch goals for improved sprites

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Update #4: The KotC 2 Campaign Has Reached Its Funding Goal! Thank You!

Hurray! It is still the first day of the campaign, and we've already reached the main goal!!

Our campaign is funded! Thank you, Brave Heroes! Together, we can Restore the Great Incline and Repel the Sinister Forces of Chaos!! :D

Let the Whole World Know about the Good News! ^^

f3b1ff74bbc4d5bdd657e4f129390359_original.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Not only what Rpguy said but it was also a budget constraint, the first module is done and he did it with his own potatoes, now, in one month, the game will be released with the tokens (it's done already) and when they're ready, tokens will be replaced with sprites.

Next adventure modules will get both as well.

By the way, the Diamond knight pledge should have been a Warrior of Jet and Gold pledge instead ...

Last edited:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2848533

Update #5: The First Three Companions!

Excerpts from the Vaults of Loremaster Geldaron.

588bc10ec87a9a24adc2b81c553d0c56_original.png

The story of Ysss
I was once invited to visit the laboratory of a circle of powerful sorcerers. I cannot disclose their identity, but the story is true nonetheless. It was a unique opportunity, for they conducted many bizarre experiments, and this one was perhaps the strangest of all. You see, somehow they had come upon a gelatinous cube that was sentient.

This, however, is nowhere near the strangest part, merely the beginning. They studied the creature intently and discovered many strange things about it. During my visit, as they showed the creature to me, it took the shape of a beautiful woman, or rather the shape of a woman had grown out of the slimy mass. Needless to say, I was shocked when she waved her hand at me.

I was fascinated by it and visited it each night when the others were sleeping. We had long talks of philosophy and such. Ultimately it professed that it loved me and asked me to make love to it. The idea was not as repulsive and grotesque as you might think, dear reader. It is difficult to put to words the appeal of the sensuous creature.

Thankfully, due to my cautious nature, I refused the creature, coming up with some excuse. The next morning when I came to eat breakfast in the great hall, I was told one of the apprentices had been consumed by the gelatinous cube. They found his skeleton lodged inside the ooze. Apparently he had gone to the creature during the night, as I had, but had instead accepted its proposal.

Apparently, the intimate encounter was fatal. When I left the laboratory, the creature told me she would see me again. The notion left me with cold sweat for a week. It wouldn't surprise me if she has escaped by now. So, in short: if you ever see a slimy woman, stay away from her, or you'll regret it!

• Special Skill [Dissolve]: you may be able to melt a lock or destroy a dangerous Tome of Evil quickly.
  • Blindsight and ooze traits. Acid and Paralysing attack. Large Size increases Damage & Grapple Rolls.
  • Swallow Whole grappling attack. Cannot wear armour.
  • Consume Enemy Corpse to gain benefits.
  • Sorcerer Class.

d38401b9ba4527ad3fe03c6cb8220e28_original.png

The story of Kutrang
When I journeyed to the far east, I saw many things you would not believe. Rather than waste your time with such tales, I'll tell you a believable one. I came upon a site of a recent bandit raid. A caravan had been massacred, and everyone had been killed. Curiously, this included all of the bandits, for none of the goods had been stolen.

I grabbed a fancy looking sword, intending to return it to its rightful owner, when it suddenly spoke to me! It called me a villain seeking to steal it! Given that I had never heard a sword speak, I was quite spooked and ran off immediately.

When I came to my wits, I returned, for am I not a Loremaster? Unfortunately, the sword was gone when I came back. Perhaps it grew legs and walked away? The east is a strange place indeed.

• Special Skill [Break Open], which includes the ability to break open doors and chests.
  • Artifact Samurai Sword. Large Size increases Damage Rolls. Metal Damage Reduction.
  • Cannot be disarmed. Penalties to Grappling. Fire resistance. Cannot wear armour or boots.
  • Can be enchanted and improved with new hilts and magic diamonds.
  • Samurai Class.

a65b4131a355270afa853e6d1524c31c_original.png

The story of Lasouche
I was once given the honour of entering the Golden Library of Abu Rhaal. The Sultan was busy, so I was shown around by a slave. She brought me to a section full of wondrous and strange tomes. My hands sweated profusely but I managed to not touch the books, for to do so would have been to forfeit my life. Instead, I listened patiently and asked questions.

The slave-librarian took out a few tomes and showed me secrets I can't discuss here. In any case, at one point I saw that there was an empty slot in the meticulously organized shelf. Where, I asked, had the book gone? She replied that it had flown away. I laughed, ignorant of the implication.

Rather than shoo me away for my impertinence, she explained to me that once there lived a wizard-poet in the sultanate, one that was known for his knowledge of spells. Indeed, he was so obsessed with spells that he regarded them as poetry. He sought to seek the perfect spell, it was said. Of course, there is no such thing.

One day the wizard's wife came back home to find a book lying on the bed, rather than her husband. The book had a single phrase in it. It said "Since you love books more than your flesh and blood husband, I've turned myself into one!".

The slave-librarian, who turned out to be the wife of the story, explained that it was just an excuse her spell obsessed husband used in order to perfect his craft. Enraged, she had gifted the tome to the Sultan, who was delighted by the story. He had the book chained inside the library so it wouldn't escape. While she did not say so, I suspect the wife regretted her actions and helped spring her husband free. So, if you ever see a book floating around, ask if it can teach you the perfect spell.

• Special Skill [Small Size], which allows a creature to gain access to narrow tunnels.
  • Book Spell Casting by adding a scroll to the book.
  • Cannot be tripped or fall prone. Vulnerability to fire.
  • Darkvision. Cannot wear armour or boots.
  • Spell Weaver Class.
Special thanks to Tiavals for writing the great stories above. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
If the sword and book descriptions say they can't wear armor nor boots, but the gelatinous cube entry only mentions an inability to wear armor, does that mean that the gelatinous cube can wear boots?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Hey BlueSalamander I want to pledge via PayPal. Basically I just use the PayPal donation button on your Website and in the PayPal message to you I just write which pledge tier I want (corresponding to the amount of money I put in, of course)?

Does the currency matter? I'd preferably send it in Euros according to the conversion rate given in the Kickstarter tiers.

For example for the "Story Teller" tier it says
Mindestbeitrag: 246 £ Ungefähr 276 €

So can I just send you 280€ over PayPal and then everything will work out properly?

Mortmal

Arcane

Not only what Rpguy said but it was also a budget constraint, the first module is done and he did it with his own potatoes, now, in one month, the game will be released with the tokens (it's done already) and when they're ready, tokens will be replaced with sprites.

Next adventure modules will get both as well.

By the way, the Diamond knight pledge should have been a Warrior of Jet and Gold pledge instead ...
Nah i'd prefer Knight of the root order.

Acutally someone drawed a root knight:
the_root_knight_by_eyardt-d688e2b.jpg

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
The first image where the party is fighting a lich shows the map is drawn with hexagons while the game actually uses squares...:deathclaw:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
He mentions in the KS FAQ that there will be toggles for hexes on map and during combat.

Some good info in the FAQ answers. For example, if you are engaged on the stairs and you cast grease, then push a foe down the stairs, they will slide all the way to the bottom and take fall damage :incline:

ralphonzo

Novice
Sprites are going to happen regardless of stretch goals being met if Pierre actually wants to sell his game.

ralphonzo

Novice
Great, so that big stretch goal is to add one additional sprite in 2 or 4 directions to establish epic animation. As long as there are sprites, I don't really care.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
No, that stretch goal is for better art for all sprites in general. He has also mentioned he will try for better art over all, and the ability for the community to easily replace art if wanted.

Grimlorn

Arcane
What's the ETA on animated sprites if it hits the stretch goal?

Which version of animated sprites did KOTC1 have? 4 directions?

Is the 50k goal only your party gets animated sprites? The wording in the stretch goals is a little confusing and it sounds like there could be a mix of sprites and tokens which would look weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom