Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Foes exhaust their resources knocking you out then you rez the team and come back.

Appealing gameplay if you can stomach it. I've had several fights like that in KotC where I was down to one character and he scratched the team back into it. Exhausting if you don't know how many more fights are ahead until next rest.

Pal isn't unbeatable but creates an area a relative safety to turtle at beginning of the fight, and can create the opportunity for different tactics altogether inside that umbrella.

The game I got the furthest I had a Champion that I dropped for the Pal companion. I designed four original characters that were strong early to be replaced by companions as they were discovered. Enjoy seeing what the designer had in mind and sometimes they throw in some added incentive to play them. Takes a little while for Pal to really get up to speed.
I think about using a paladin in the party next time (if) i play - because of your advertisement nonetheless. :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dorateen I started playing Hurkaworld the other day, and I wanted to say I like it quite a bit. I've just escaped slavery, cleared out Kelton Manor and destroyed the lich, and I'm liking it much more than Augury of Chaos so far, that's for sure. It has that cool low level adventure vibe to it that is very compelling, and after Augury it's a welcome relief that not every fight feels like dragging your face across sandpaper.

The only thing I raged at was the big evil snek in the lich's tower, with the petrification breath. This is the sort of special ability that I always hate in my RPGs for being bullshit, and this was no exception :argh:

Dorateen

Arcane
Dorateen I started playing Hurkaworld the other day, and I wanted to say I like it quite a bit.
Thank you, that is high praise indeed! One thing that is probably apparent, the open-ended design allows the player to come back to an area and try later if an encounter doesn't go that well. I think there are some items that protect against the gaze attack, which helps fighting those monster types.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
the open-ended design allows the player to come back to an area and try later if an encounter doesn't go that well. I think there are some items that protect against the gaze attack, which helps fighting those monster types.
That is always great game design that I like. Getting your ass kicked? Maybe come back later when you are perhaps a bit better prepared.... :salute:

std::namespace

a day in the life of kotc2 dev
CLJSKcV.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Hearkenwold does a great job at highlighting how solid of an engine/game KotC2 is. It's really too bad that Augury was what it was.
The cold splash of water to the face
This water is a bit too cold if you ask me. Nothing wrong with Augury. No, wait, there are tons of things wrong with Augury but overall it's still decent. Saying "too bad Augury was what it was" is a little too harsh. Especially that we do have both and with some luck we will get more of Augury but better and - if we have a TON of luck - perhaps even some Haerkenwolds(-likes).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/4038772

Update #80: New Sprites Coming Up For KotC 2 + New Adventure Maps!​

Hello, Brave Knights! I trust this update finds you well. In February, I focused on new animated sprites and created a few new background images for adventure maps.

4f3eb0ed6a65478db2dfbd595ec43626_original.gif

For the new sprites, I had to learn how to use the Unity Editor and create a few Unity scripts that I'm using to automate some of the steps required to make isometric sprites out of 3D models. The scripts launch the Unity Recorder, start the model's animation and rotate the model in the eight directions.

That produces a set of 64 images (eight animation frames in each of the eight directions) which are then regrouped into a single image using an Image Magick command-line instruction.

9d05665fd7298a71739cceea96c93b66_original.png

The model's shadow is recorded separately by switching the model to 'render shadows only' and adding a white-coloured plane under the model. Afterwards, the result can be converted into a transparent image using the layer-mask feature of Photoshop. Then the image of the transparent shadow can be combined with the creature's image.

In the last few days, I looked into how to change the weapons held by models that have hands, like the Centaurs. For example, I'm planning to have the male and female Centaur sprites wield two swords, as in the GIF animation below.

bee473a5e4ce1e881d70374733a765b2_original.gif

There are Youtube tutorials about adding a Flaming effect to swords in Unity. I haven't looked into that yet, but it could be very cool for some monsters, like the Marilith. The Flaming or Frost effect would be recorded together with the creature.

If there are eight frames for the 'idle' animation, perhaps that is enough for the 2D effect to still look nice, even though originally it's based on a 3D particle system in Unity.

d73cfdfb0c0636d3fc7d8f71d7e284b7_original.png

Anyway, I'm planning to upload KotC 2 version 1.68 once I've finished working on the new sprites for the Hydra, female Centaur and male Centaur. That shouldn't take too long.

The new maps I worked on this month are a night-time mysterious forest with an evil-looking tower, a foreboding temple interior, and a small desert oasis.

Next Steps for Knights of the Chalice 2​

The next development steps are the following:

• Continue work on the encounters, monsters & scenario of the upcoming KotC 2 module.
  • Work on the conversion of 3D models into isometric sprites, and on modular sprites for Dwarves. Also look into story images and a possible upgrade of spell icons.
  • Work on voice effects for Critical Hits & monsters, and voice-over using text-to-speech AI.
  • Implement new features such as new monster abilities, subraces, feats, familiars, items.
  • Fix any remaining issues mentioned on Steam, GOG, heroicfantasygames.com, or by email.
489182610c0f985d0ffb2ea8d8c25eb5_original.png

If you have any feedback, suggestions or bug reports, please feel free to let me know here, in the Forums, or by email at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com. I appreciate it!

Thank You For Your Loyal Support, Fearless Knights of the Realm!! Rejoice :)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I still have no idea if he would be entwined in such a mess regarding presentation if he simply delivered the game with better looking tokens to begin with.

Dorateen

Arcane
According to the nexus page, I have just reached 500 unique downloads of the Hearkenwold Adventure Module for Knights of the Chalice 2.

https://www.nexusmods.com/knightsofthechalice2/mods/5

I wanted to take this opportunity to mention since the initial release of the module in the Spring of 2021, there have been numerous changes including bug fixes, but also a lot of new content added. This is an ever expanding, open-ended, ongoing campaign that is made up of various self-contained adventures tied together by an underlying arc. I am working on the next part right now, and will have an updated version of the module later this year.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Knights of the Chalice 2
Announcement
Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.68
Greetings, Brave Knights of the Realm! I hope you're well. Here's version 1.68 of Knights of the Chalice 2.

Here's the list of changes:

Graphics: Added new sprites for the Hydra, Male Centaur, and Female Centaur. In the module Augury of Chaos, the Hydra will now use the new sprite. The pre-generated character 'Khellendros' will now use the Centaur sprite.
Graphics: Characters with wings will now have their wings displayed below the character when Prone (previously, the wings wouldn't be displayed when Prone).
User Inteface: The game will now only offer to activate the Barbarian's 'Spirit Animal Scorpion' if your character can take a full-round action, or a standard action with the feat Wade In, or if your character is conducting a full attack.
User Interface: In the tooltip information of the Combat-Actions menu, the game was incorrectly displaying 'Standard Action' for the Feint combat manoeuvre when a character doesn't have the feats Improved Feint or Greater Feint. It will now correctly display 'Move Action'.
User Interface: Modified the Character-Creation interface so that the new Centaur sprites are selected automatically when you select Centaur as the race of a new character.
User Interface: When pushing Control + Left Arrow in a text box, the cursor will now move to the previous word. Pushing Control + Right Arrow will skip to the next word.
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug in the AI leading the enemy to use the spell 'Gust of Wind' against a Solid Fog or Acid Fog. Only 'Greater Gust of Wind' works against these effects.
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug when a creature was Pinned then Swallowed Whole. This would result in the game freezing.
Bug Fix: Fixed a display bug with the colour of a movement arrow not being correctly updated from blue to green in some cases.
Bug Fix: Fixed a display bug when failing a concentration check for a spell or power. For some spells, the game would keep displaying the expected amount of the effect.
Bug Fix: Fixed a source of crashes and other errors when playing with certain pre-generated characters, or any character that has an incorrect line in its intelligence settings (e.g. 'Use Blinding Strike' when the character doesn't have that ability. For some reason, the pre-generated character 'Conan' had that line in the character's intelligence settings, which was resulting in a possible crash when the character was Dominated).
Bug Fix: In the Module Editor, fixed the non-combat setting 'Prone' for characters using modular sprites.
Bug Fix: Fixed a display bug in the Script Editor when searching for variables. The list of results wasn't updated correctly.
Soundtracks: Edited the music track 'Angevin' to reduce the volume and improve quality.
Engine/Editor: Added support for Polygonal Activable Zones. Please see this Kickstarter update for details: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/4015685.
Help Files: Added some links to the feat 'Melee Touch Magic' and the help for 'Caster Levels' in the help files of certain Cleric Domains. Improved formatting in some pages.
Please don't hesitate to email me at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com if you find any bugs and annoyances, so that I can fix the game quickly. A saved game may be very helpful, too.

Thank You So Much For Your Support, Valiant Heroes!! Enjoy :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom