Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Mackerel

Augur
Havoc said:
There was a Death Knight in DnD? Too much WoW? :/
History lesson:
30569813.jpg

quasimodo

Augur
Serious_Business said:
commie said:
Will there actually be a game to go with the combat this time?

I know this is troll post, but I'm wondering, would you actually care about story written by a random guy with a computer science degree who has a passion for dungeons and dragons? Just let this be an autistic stat fest, please, or we'll get derpy shit like Eschalon 2 again

What SB said. Good combat is hard to find in RPGs. If the guy has only a limited amount of time I hope he spends it all on combat.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I just hope he fixes the graphics / camera perspective / whatever. For some reason playing Ultima 6 and KotC made me feel nauseated.

Edit: Holy crap DK seems OP. Then again, maybe it might be more on par with Wizards.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Lonely Vazdru said:
Mackerel said:
Havoc said:
There was a Death Knight in DnD? Too much WoW? :/
History lesson:
30569813.jpg
So a semi-unique monster of which only 12 specimen existed is now a character's class ? I so wanna play as a Cyric in KotC 3.

How about a Chocker? Will it be a class too? What about a Vampire class? Mummy class? My Ass class?

zeitgeist

Magister
Serious_Business said:
commie said:
Will there actually be a game to go with the combat this time?

I know this is troll post, but I'm wondering, would you actually care about story written by a random guy with a computer science degree who has a passion for dungeons and dragons? Just let this be an autistic stat fest, please, or we'll get derpy shit like Eschalon 2 again
It's still possible to implement interesting gameplay elements with minimal writing (for example bounty contracts, arena fights, various collectathons, that sort of thing).

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Evil paladins is indeed something I'd like to see but instead of using a new class I'd rather see the "Unearthed Arcana" variant for 3.5 which introduces a paladin for each of three remaining "extreme"(TM) alignments :
Paladin of Freedom : Chaotic good paladin variant.
Paladin of Slaughter : Chaotic evil paladin variant.
Paladin of Tyranny : Lawful evil paladin variant

But that's nitpicking, I'm fine with Death Knights even if it doesn't "feel" right.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So is the idea of a first level paladin, honestly. Both should be prestige classes. The idea of a holy champion of light blessed by his gods and renowned among his order being beaten to shit by a couple of orcs is absurd. You can be a shitty fighter or a novice mageling or cleric or thief, but if you can't fight worth shit you wouldn't have been ordained as a paladin to begin with, or been hired as an assassin, or attracted the attention of dark gods to become a death knight or warlock.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
So is the idea of a first level paladin, honestly. Both should be prestige classes. The idea of a holy champion of light blessed by his gods and renowned among his order being beaten to shit by a couple of orcs is absurd. You can be a shitty fighter or a novice mageling or cleric or thief, but if you can't fight worth shit you wouldn't have been ordained as a paladin to begin with, or been hired as an assassin, or attracted the attention of dark gods to become a death knight or warlock.

I'm sure Bobby Kotick had to start out somewhere. He couldn't have always been the evil CEO that he is today.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
In 3.5 rules, to become a blackguard you can give up your paladin levels and convert them into blackguard levels. Why not make a bunch of other prestige classes work the same way? Being able to give up fighter or cleric levels to convert them to paladin levels would be really cool. Only as a one time deal, obviously. The image of a cleric setting aside his robes and donning armour to prepare for war is iconic, likewise that of a relatively detached mercenary or soldier finding a righteous cause to fight for or being thrust into a position of a leader or guardianship and appealing to the gods. Even better if the progression was something along the lines of Fighter > Retired > Cleric > Paladin.

On the other hand, the idea of some young goofball who has achieved nothing riding out to dispatch holy justice on behalf of his church is absurd. Characters should have to earn some respect and recognition before they're eligible for these kinds of classes. And at the same time, taking them on should be a complete transformation, not just some stat bonuses and a couple of neat abilities.

visions

Arcane

Why should every paladin be a "holy champion of light" "renowned among his order"? Why couldn't the term "paladin" just signify a lawful good warrior with a strict moral code, who has dedicated his life to serving a good god?

Shannow

Waster of Time
visions said:

Why should every paladin be a "holy champion of light" "renowned among his order"? Why couldn't the term "paladin" just signify a lawful good warrior with a strict moral code, who has dedicated his life to serving a good god?
A simple good warrior...with divine favour :)

DK seems overpowered in the 3.5ed description, which doesn't have to be the way it's implemented in KotC2.

And while I don't really care and would agree that lvl1 Pals, DKs and BROs seem "wrong", even a lvl1 fighter or rogue is considered "heroic" if not very accomplished.

I'll also second the sentiments that ask for more difficulty and fluff story in KotC2. I'll add multi-classing and a party of 6 (I'd like to try as many classes as possible but I don't see myself playing through more than once):

Mortmal

Arcane
Its probably a class very similar to D&D 3.5 blackguard , or evil paladin, indeed, nothing like lord soth .
Remember the guy dont have any D&D license, so hes doing with open d20 rules and adding whatever he feels like it, the blackguard name is probably copyrighted, you wont fight beholders and illithids too.
I hope too he focus on what he did the best,strategic combat, a story like the one in eschalon wont get anyone any awards.

visions

Arcane
Regarding KOTC, I'd like to see a more developed world (everything felt quite empty in the first one), and no forced linearity like "There appears to be an invisible magic wall blocking the entrance to the giants' fortress".

Eagerly awaiting this game. I'll buy it in the first week, likely enjoy the hell out of it, sign up to do the review, and disappear for another two years.

mondblut

Arcane
Lonely Vazdru said:
So a semi-unique monster of which only 12 specimen existed is now a character's class ? I so wanna play as a Cyric in KotC 3.

AD&D had a lot of inflation during 1ed to 2ed transition. 1ed lore claimed there are only 4 balors and 6 mariliths, FFS. Which goes for a single generic random encounter in BG2TOB or something.

But yeah, I like death knight as a fighters' answer to a lich more than as an "antipaladin" or shit like that.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
visions said:

But then why should there be a distinction between an actual Lawful Good Fighter that worships some good god and a Paladin? If you're going to even have the class at all, it should be different enough to warrant being a separate class.

IMO, Paladins should be from a select order, kind of like the Neverwinter Nine class from NWN2.

OuterSpace

Scholar
he's using a true top down perspective this time.

This thread has the least trolls per post out of anything in GRPGD for a while. Must be a real RPG or something.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
visions said:
Regarding KOTC, I'd like to see a more developed world (everything felt quite empty in the first one), and no forced linearity like "There appears to be an invisible magic wall blocking the entrance to the giants' fortress".
Even if you don't like the official campaign, a module editor is promised to come with the game, so maybe user made content will suit your tastes better. :D

Speaking of which, I hope there will be some degree of customisation of what rules would you want to use in your module. Pierre feels like it's easier for him to balance the campaign for a four character party? I'm OK with that but I'd also like to see adventures created by the others which would allow you to create six or even eight characters groups. He didn't feel eavesdropping outside the door was a meaningful addition to the gameplay? Well, I believe it wasn't a great mechanic on its own but it served well combined with other means of influencing your starting position in combat. Wouldn't mind using it in my own module.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Damn, this is going to be great :bounce:

I just hope that they get tid of 'scribe scroll everywhere' spam. Granted, there were places where you basically needed to do that, but it still felt cheap.

Also ironman mode was unplayable just because the game gave initiative to the enemies too often. Consequently, even before you could do anything half of your party was eating grass and the other half was going to join them next turn.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Mrowak said:

I just hope that they get tid of 'scribe scroll everywhere' spam. Granted, there were places where you basically needed to do that, but it still felt cheap.
A wizard should be able to scribe scrolls anywhere. I mean what do you need to scribe a scroll, a sheet of paper? The problem was that you could scriibe any spell whether you actually had it memorized or not, that coupled with the fact that scrolls were cast at current caster level meant infinite casting as long as you have the gold/XP. And there was no shortage of gold/XP.

Mrowak said:
Also ironman mode was unpleyable
false

Mrowak said:
just because the game gave initiative to the enemies too often.
So, Improved Initiative finally had a use?

Mrowak said:
Consequently, even before you could do anything half of your party was eating grass and the other half was going to join them next turn.
This is a pretty valid complaint, especially considering ypou couldn't prepare by pre-buffing. Situations where enemies get surprise-rounds and wipe your entire party out without giving you the chance to even act, forcing you to reload until you get lucky enough rolls to survive the surprise round in good enough shape to continue the fight, that's a pretty silly approach. If you want to give the player a challenge then bring in reinforcements after the party had some rounds to cast a few basic protection spells.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Mrowak said:

A wizard should be able to scribe scrolls anywhere. I mean what do you need to scribe a scroll, a sheet of paper?

Well, that's not exactly what DnD ruleset says, but the rest...

The problem was that you could scriibe any spell whether you actually had it memorized or not, that coupled with the fact that scrolls were cast at current caster level meant infinite casting as long as you have the gold/XP. And there was no shortage of gold/XP.

... is pretty valid.

Mrowak said:
Also ironman mode was unpleyable
false

You mean there's actually someone somewhere who finished ironman KotC... Wow :shock: (no, not World of Warcraft).

Mrowak said:
just because the game gave initiative to the enemies too often.
So, Improved Initiative finally had a use?

Yes, I liked it that it was more useful. Still, later in game whether you had it or not mattered little.

Mrowak said:
Consequently, even before you could do anything half of your party was eating grass and the other half was going to join them next turn.
This is a pretty valid complaint, especially considering ypou couldn't prepare by pre-buffing. Situations where enemies get surprise-rounds and wipe your entire party out without giving you the chance to even act, forcing you to reload until you get lucky enough rolls to survive the surprise round in good enough shape to continue the fight, that's a pretty silly approach. If you want to give the player a challenge then bring in reinforcements after the party had some rounds to cast a few basic protection spells.

Agreed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom