Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did you start the ironman run yet?

Yes, still in Finchbury and trying to plan my course. Hardest part in Finchbury will be the vanishing sword quest.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
:avatard:

Gaem too hard. Filtered by the tutorial. Welcome to RPG Codex, home of true, monocled gamers.

tbh the tutorial is harder than the first and second act of the main game

So what I'm hearing here is that visionary designer Pierre Begue listened to all the whining about difficulty and created a tutorial that will tutor players to be able to more easily pass the first two acts of the game. Genius! :smug:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
:avatard:

Gaem too hard. Filtered by the tutorial. Welcome to RPG Codex, home of true, monocled gamers.

tbh the tutorial is harder than the first and second act of the main game

So what I'm hearing here is that visionary designer Pierre Begue listened to all the whining about difficulty and created a tutorial that will tutor players to be able to more easily pass the first two acts of the game. Genius! :smug:
He also created a sort of "prologue" that is more difficult than the first chapter and half of the game. This is why everyone loves him. Or hates him but it is hard to remain unaffected by his "design" choices if you play his games.

Yes, still in Finchbury and trying to plan my course. Hardest part in Finchbury will be the vanishing sword quest.
I agree, the fight with the Sharkmen was probably the most difficult one in Finchbury for me. Perhaps the one in that quest where you fight a lot of melee only in a very small room too. I had a domain that prevents surprise round so it was easy for me but i don't know how it is otherwise. The good thing is that it is Finchbury, the beginning of the game and after that you have an easier time for a while.

Yosharian

Arcane
There is little difference in that case. What difficulties do mostly is changing long term balance, number of feats, having to pay for levelling, etc... Things that make the game easier/harder because your party becomes stronger or weaker. The change in combat itself are the initiative penalty for the AI on Normal and Hard and higher dying threshold - on per level basis on Normal. Let's forget easy. The initiative plays a big role, the bigger the stronger enemy, especially casters get but only Archmage by default doesn't have the penalty for AI. Btw a 25% penalty doesn't guarantee anything, just makes it much more likely.
This isn't true because I have seen a video of someone playing on Normal difficulty and he is hitting / succeeding on spells far more easily than I was. Normal applies a level drain to enemies which makes them weaker, so it doesn't just change long-term difficulty.

plem

Learned
There is a "Zen Archery" feat though, WIS replaces DEX as the stat to give the attack bonus. Included in Hunting domain. Nice for a cleric archer, i would say, and affects ranged touch spells too.

it's also great on a Druid, especially if you take either the Fire sphere for empowered Produce Flame or Earth sphere for empowered Magic Stone

Serus

Arcane
Patron
There is little difference in that case. What difficulties do mostly is changing long term balance, number of feats, having to pay for levelling, etc... Things that make the game easier/harder because your party becomes stronger or weaker. The change in combat itself are the initiative penalty for the AI on Normal and Hard and higher dying threshold - on per level basis on Normal. Let's forget easy. The initiative plays a big role, the bigger the stronger enemy, especially casters get but only Archmage by default doesn't have the penalty for AI. Btw a 25% penalty doesn't guarantee anything, just makes it much more likely.
This isn't true because I have seen a video of someone playing on Normal difficulty and he is hitting / succeeding on spells far more easily than I was. Normal applies a level drain to enemies which makes them weaker, so it doesn't just change long-term difficulty.
Normal doesn't apply any "level drain" automatically. Level drain is a rare effect from, mostly, higher level spells and a high level, rarely used, weapon enchantment. This is what normal difficulty modifies. The change only affects spells resistance and armour class - at least according to help files. This means that if the video wasn't showing mid game at least AND the players wasn't spamming the effect AND the enemy had SR (in case of spells) to begin with - the option didn't do squat - at least to my knowledge. Also See "observer bias".

So yes, there is a difference between Normal and Hard in combat but it isn't a big one and not early in game at all. The death threshold change is, probably, the bigger one of the two between normal and hard difficulties. The big difference in combat is between normal/hard vs Archmage, namely the initiative.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The village is a better tutorial but when you're done with the main game, maybe after playing it twice and after playing Hearkenwold, the tutorial is a nice short module.

Ok, I'm going :
  • Kobold Red Wiz
  • Human Black Wiz
  • Elf Psion
  • Drake Fighter
  • Mantis Rogue
  • Centaur DK
For my Archmage (no gold and more feats) Ironman run.
Probably with fire druid and pizarra or the monk if he's good enough.

I barely used necro spells so far, aside from malison on some tough enemies so i'll try to fix that. I'll miss the Barbarian, he's fucking good early on.

I was just thinking about trying a prismatic wall for the Spider Queen fight since I've never tried it.
Silence + Prismatic wall + fighters behind her and some summons on the other side, probably malison once she spawns, ectoplasmic cocoon worked once so it might work again and there's also the guaranteed 1 level drain aoe (probably if not resisted) which might remove her some spells.
What about healing? Only Psion in main team is capable of healing. Everything else from potions scrolls? You can't even read cleric/druid scrolls. I think you need the one of the two companion druids - or at least the elemental bodyguard of the "good" one. But then i'm a noob in this game compared to you.
Also necro spells on lower levels are mostly crap.

PaquoCastor

Novice
Using v1.29, I was only able to beat the battle on very hard after setting reduced initiative 25%. No one was even unconscious at the end! The negative levels make the fighter less of a problem, that's true. Only him and one of the mummies has that effect, from what I saw in the editor. Either way, it's still one of the best battles I've ever played.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think I'm on the final fight but it keeps crashing -.- I'll try again tomorrow, it's fun though.

Reinhardt

Arcane
looked at nexus - it's almost empty. way too early for modules but no one even makes tokens. Pierre really messed launch with starting price. pity.

Fireblade

Erudite
Normal doesn't apply any "level drain" automatically. Level drain is a rare effect from, mostly, higher level spells and a high level, rarely used, weapon enchantment. This is what normal difficulty modifies. The change only affects spells resistance and armour class - at least according to help files. This means that if the video wasn't showing mid game at least AND the players wasn't spamming the effect AND the enemy had SR (in case of spells) to begin with - the option didn't do squat - at least to my knowledge. Also See "observer bias".

So yes, there is a difference between Normal and Hard in combat but it isn't a big one and not early in game at all. The death threshold change is, probably, the bigger one of the two between normal and hard difficulties. The big difference in combat is between normal/hard vs Archmage, namely the initiative.
The in-game help says "Negative levels may be assigned to certain opponents, depending on the Difficulty level. Negative levels resulting from the difficulty setting apply a penalty to Armour Class and Spell Resistance, as well as the standard effects of negative levels detailed below". Then it goes on to list Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, Hit Points, and Effective Level (affecting spellcasting/psionic powers).

edit: also just pulled up a normal mode save-game I have in chapter 4, got into a fight, examined a Black Wizard, and in the Effects tab it says "Condition: Reduced Difficulty Negative Levels +2". A Warlock in this fight has it, too. Most of the enemies don't though.

Yosharian

Arcane
Normal doesn't apply any "level drain" automatically. Level drain is a rare effect from, mostly, higher level spells and a high level, rarely used, weapon enchantment. This is what normal difficulty modifies.

neglevel.jpg

Yosharian

Arcane
Using v1.29, I was only able to beat the battle on very hard after setting reduced initiative 25%. No one was even unconscious at the end! The negative levels make the fighter less of a problem, that's true. Only him and one of the mummies has that effect, from what I saw in the editor. Either way, it's still one of the best battles I've ever played.
So you admit that the negative level effect makes the fight easier, and having defeated the encounter before and knowing exactly what to do, you were able to defeat it again on the higher difficulty!

Real big brain moments in this thread

Yosharian

Arcane

The in-game help says "Negative levels may be assigned to certain opponents, depending on the Difficulty level. Negative levels resulting from the difficulty setting apply a penalty to Armour Class and Spell Resistance, as well as the standard effects of negative levels detailed below". Then it goes on to list Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, Hit Points, and Effective Level (affecting spellcasting/psionic powers).
Yes and it does make a big difference to the fight.

Anyway my problem isn't with the way the fight is designed, exactly, it's with the number tuning for an early fight in what is meant to be a tutorial module, and also the way the grids are displayed to the player is super frustrating and not at all comparable to the solid design of KOTC1.

I had an issue last night in later fights where I couldn't quite position my fighter correctly so that he could get cleave followups, it seemed like he was in range because he is adjacent, but the game nopes out of it and says no actually he's two squares away, sorry.

Regardless, I am totally addicted and cannot play anything else right now

Fireblade

Erudite
Given all the positioning problems you've mentioned...are you using sprites, or tokens? I ended up switching to tokens because it made positioning so much easier, it's like a completely different world. Also when using tokens you can see each unit's health on the token, and you can turn on green/red circles around each token for friendly/hostile.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm up to the spider queen fight and my will to push on is being eroded at just how aids having 0 campfires is in this main sewer. I have found one, which was right after you literally kill 60 mobs waiting for you after your first two steps from the crones.
When you need to cast spells to have a chance at all and there is a fight every 10 metres it'gets a bit old.
There is maybe... just maybe a bit too much combat or the balance with resting needs a tweak imo. Feels like the game cheeses you on some of the rolls as well, the RNGesus for dispelling or avoiding petrification etc is sus it feels.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i hope you realise there are consoomables that can refresh your spell slots and from what i remember they are plenty plentiful

Yosharian

Arcane
Given all the positioning problems you've mentioned...are you using sprites, or tokens? I ended up switching to tokens because it made positioning so much easier, it's like a completely different world. Also when using tokens you can see each unit's health on the token, and you can turn on green/red circles around each token for friendly/hostile.
Ahh yeah I might try that, I do like the effect of having sprites though to be fair

Fireblade

Erudite
Ahh yeah I might try that, I do like the effect of having sprites though to be fair
Give it a try in a few combats, and you may never go back. Also keep in mind you can modify the token that's used for each of your characters at any time (click on their portrait on the char sheet). Set recognizable ones so you know who's where at a glance, that will be a big improvement over the sprites too. Alt+T toggles between the two modes if you don't already know that.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
i hope you realise there are consoomables that can refresh your spell slots and from what i remember they are plenty plentiful

Yeah, i probably (definitely) fucked up by not buying them all from teh ratmen when I had the chance. A convenient cave collapse means I can't go back. Oh well... save scumming and RNGesus it is.

Yosharian

Arcane
Any thoughts on what the best summoning domain power is?
summons.jpg

Seems like the Undead immunities from the ghoul warrior would be pretty sick, but the inevitable's DR could be somewhat useful too I guess.

Last edited:

Fireblade

Erudite
Six attacks could be a big benefit at times. Lots of mirror images to burn through in this game.

Trash Player

Scholar
bards are a weird in-between of martials, rogues and casters. they get enough feats and weapon proficiencies to be useful in combat but not enough to come close to a real martial. their songs are really useful though, not only the ones that buff but the offensive ones as well. pipes of pain and heavenly song are as good as some control spells, and arcane rhyme is great for magic-centric parties.
Read the rules, man. Pierre removed the rogue out of bard. Full BAB and no rogue skill. Their extra skill is even Nature. They are not much worse than martials with no wade-in if built similarly.
The SLAs that check DC are not bad and come earlier but mind affecting effect isn't worth too much investment. Imo, building them as a martial with choice SLAs is better than going all in SLAs,
seeing the most scalable ability is Arcane Rhyme anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom