Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I have to ask you all a favour guys.
I am done for the time being with KotC2 - i hope to return soon for a second run, with different builds and possibly play on Archmage or Ironman. But for now i'm done.
I'm thinking what to play next, mosty something tactical, CRPG or CRPG-ish. The option I came with:
1) Battle Brothers Legends (Darh, is it known when they will include the big perk mod (PTR?) into Legends?)
2) King's Arthur Knight's Tale
3) That Warhammer 40k Demon-something-something game
4) Solasta
5) Gloomhaven
6) Return to Kingmaker or try (more) WotR. Damn, I love the idea of mounted combat but hate the writing and a few other things so much.
7) Finish Underrail
8) Something else

Which one would you recommend?

Underrail

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Underrail is definitely a very good game. I played it more than a few hours, just haven't finished it. The issue, it's the least tactical of the options. Its strength is in exploration, word building and the setting in my opinion. I'm more into tactical mood after KotC 2. Choices, choices...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Underrail is definitely a very good game. I played it more than a few hours, just haven't finished it. The issue, it's the least tactical of the options. Its strength is in exploration, word building and the setting in my opinion. I'm more into tactical mood after KotC 2. Choices, choices...
I suppose you're already done with Silent Storm, Blackguards, Dungeon Rats and of course
Realms of Arkania HD

Parabalus

Arcane
I am done for the time being with KotC2 - i hope to return soon for a second run, with different builds and possibly play on Archmage or Ironman. But for now i'm done.
I'm thinking what to play next, mosty something tactical, CRPG or CRPG-ish. The option I came with:
1) Battle Brothers Legends (Darh, is it known when they will include the big perk mod (PTR?) into Legends?)
4) Solasta
5) Gloomhaven
6) Return to Kingmaker or try (more) WotR. Damn, I love the idea of mounted combat but hate the writing and a few other things so much.
7) Finish Underrail
8) Something else

Gloomhaven, completely polished and different from standard fare.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
4) Solasta
5) Gloomhaven
7) Finish Underrail
8) Something else

1. Only played base game which was good
2. great game highly recommended
3. never played
4. You have better games on your list
5. never played
6. Kingmaker and Wrath story are obviously shit but that dont matter much just skip most of dialogues.
7. I would play this first

Anyway did every castle fight without support options but did not get achievements but thats not a big deal. Final battle is quite easy even without help if u have plenty of casters.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
4) Solasta
5) Gloomhaven
7) Finish Underrail
8) Something else

Great list.
Basically a "must play" for those who like more tactical RPGs.
Most of the listed games share the same downside, though - very small field team of 4 characters.
After KotC2 it could feel especially limited.

Solasta is a barebones game. The best thing about it is "faithful 5E adaptation".
Gloomhaven is a boardgame. I heard it's good, but personally I don't like deck-of-cards mechanic in my tacticools.

One good game that is missing from the list is Dungeon of Naheulbeuk.
From pure tactical challenge it beats everything on the list, in my opinion.
So I'd recommend it... if you can stand the art style.

Oh, there's, of course, Troubleshooter.
It's contraindicated to the people with low weeab-tolerance levels, and it's very slow to start, but it snowballs into a great tactical game
with character building so complex that nothing bar Pathfinders could even come close.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I suppose you're already done with Silent Storm, Blackguards, Dungeon Rats and of course
Realms of Arkania HD
No, not Realms of Arkania HD, is it good?
:smug:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Oh yeah forgot about troubleshooter one of my favorite tactical games. Only game I bothered to get 100% achievements with.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
4) Solasta
5) Gloomhaven
7) Finish Underrail
8) Something else

Great list.
Basically a "must play" for those who like more tactical RPGs.
Most of the listed games share the same downside, though - very small field team of 4 characters.
After KotC2 it could feel especially limited.

Solasta is a barebones game. The best thing about it is "faithful 5E adaptation".
Gloomhaven is a boardgame. I heard it's good, but personally I don't like deck-of-cards mechanic in my tacticools.

One good game that is missing from the list is Dungeon of Naheulbeuk.
From pure tactical challenge it beats everything on the list, in my opinion.
So I'd recommend it... if you can stand the art style.

Oh, there's, of course, Troubleshooter.
It's contraindicated to the people with low weeab-tolerance levels, and it's very slow to start, but it snowballs into a great tactical game
with character building so complex that nothing bar Pathfinders could even come close.
I forgot about those last two myself, thank you for reminding me.
Otoh that only adds to the number of choices. Sometimes I miss early 90s where on the 286 and A500 i had very little games. If i wanted to play a 4X game it was the choice between Civilisation or Civilisation, when a strategy game about ancient times that was Centurion or Centurion, if tactical game, X-COM: UFO Defense or UFO: Enemy Unknown... On the other hands, I'm glad it's not 1994 anymore, it's nice to have a choice.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you had mentioned Troubleshooter I would have said to play that one. Feels like a way better Nu-X-COM... Only much more complicated but without the "boringness" of Phoenix Project. It's fun from start to finish and it just gets more and more complex in really fun ways. It's great.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Think I start real archmage ironman attempts now. Im pretty set for my party only thing I might change is the fighter for monk maybe.

1. Half-giant Fighter
2. Mantis Rogue
3. Elf Bard
4. Halfling Bishop (still figuring out domains). Probably first getting Mysticism + Reach. Tried Flux first time and that was great in late game for mass heal/harm so probably going to get that. Celerity is good for Death Snare and in general for harder fights. Aberration would be great for early+middle game if that fucker would stop trying to grapple 80% of time.
5. Human Psionicist
6. Human Blue Wizard

Companions
7. Zalapha
8. Pizarra, might need to use Driaghan and Erzimon for some fights.

Its pretty much same archmage party I just finished but swapping Death Knight for Fighter. I used his Smite ability zero times I kinda forgot that he even had it. I still like that class has great abilities. I might use Driaghan to store some xp for crafting a weapon for fighter after the crypt.

There are some problematic fights which I tested multiple times and cannot do much against bad initiative roll. Salamander and Death Snare are probably the biggest ones. Castle fights Im not too worried. Spider queen is easy after you have figured out that fight. Psionicist + Wizard was the most consist for me for Salamander because high dex + 1 spell from either class pretty much decides the outcome of that encounter.

I had 1 crash in my latest playthrough so if that happens I think it deletes the save file. Looking forward for that.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Until which number it's reasonable to increase with level ups Strength for fighter Half-Giant and Mantis gladiator? Look, I know saying "The more STR the better", but mantis does not wear armor (so AC mostly from DEX) and Half-Giant slow as fuck and I starting to thinking about pumping DEX on these characters. Same with casters - INT is cool, but I fear for initiative in further battles, so I would like to know soft or hard cap for Dex and STR. Is there any cap at all? Because for INT there spreadsheet in help section (who the fuck has 50 INT, wtf, I think it's too much even for 3.5 edition), yet no such thing for str and dex.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Until which number it's reasonable to increase with level ups Strength for fighter Half-Giant and Mantis gladiator? Look, I know saying "The more STR the better", but mantis does not wear armor (so AC mostly from DEX) and Half-Giant slow as fuck and I starting to thinking about pumping DEX on these characters. Same with casters - INT is cool, but I fear for initiative in further battles, so I would like to know soft or hard cap for Dex and STR. Is there any cap at all? Because for INT there spreadsheet in help section (who the fuck has 50 INT, wtf, I think it's too much even for 3.5 edition), yet no such thing for str and dex.
Wouldn't it easier for you to pump as much dex as you deem necessary to mitigate the respective weaknesses of the half giant and mantis then toss the remaining points into str?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Wouldn't it easier for you to pump as much dex as you deem necessary to mitigate the respective weaknesses of the half giant and mantis then toss the remaining points into str?
Yes, I could do this too. But let's say I start to just pumping dex on these chars, but a) there only limited amount of levels (and therefore ability scorepoints) and b) I don't know how much Dex I need. For now party going relatively fine, but I am afraid to hit the wall in the middle of the game, thats why I asked. Btw, what is max level for character?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
As much STR. Mantis has natural armor + gladiator bonus to AC when waering light / no armour. Offence and hitting things is by far more important. Half-Giant speed is irrelevant + boots + 10 are cheap and there two to buy. Str all the way for str based builds (no dex-to-attack).
My opinion at least.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

For half-giant fighter cloudtop subrace is the best subrace in the whole game so that gives +4 dex. Just max out str/dex/con and you still have 6 points left for other stats to pump saves. And yeah its not worth it to rise dex over 14 just full on str. If you feel like your giant is too squishy feel free to use armor. For movement issues you can get armor bracelets later or just use armor with boosts that give speed.

For mantis gladiator you can start with maxing str/dex/con again and you have 20dex which is plenty for the whole game. Just pump str also at this point.

There are also belts which give +6str and +6dex which are handy for melee (also for casters since more dex is always good)

There is no max level at least you can get to level 21 after final fight. But expect to be lvl 20 before final fight

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Half-Giant's job is to get mad and murder things. Strength all the way.
Exactly this.
In addition strength is important not only for attack/damage but also there are strength checks when using the combat tricks: trip, grapple and bull rush IIRC. There are better ways to make your Half-Giants/melee chars a little more sturdy than sacrificing the most important stat.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Seems like game was not hard enough so Pierre made some stealth buffs for enemies such as making the dragon in the tomb incorporeal. Thanks Pierre was looking forward for this kind of stuff when Im starting to do iron man attempts.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
4) Solasta
5) Gloomhaven
7) Finish Underrail
8) Something else

Colony Ship is what Ive been playing besides Chalice, that and Battle Brothers

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I've got the team kinda ready, although after making 12 characters, I thought I could fit more classes into my party.

I have:
Storm Warrior
Samurai
Bard
Cleric
Wizard
Psionicist
I have the storm warrior because I want the nature skill. I really wish I had one more melee dude, with dual wield or smth. I'm sure the squad could be much better, but I can always restart. I'm not pumping the difficulty up to the max, so I should manage.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
You can get storm warrior companion which is actually quite good in prologue if you want so you can create other class

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You can get storm warrior companion which is actually quite good in prologue if you want so you can create other class
I know that from reading the thread, but I think I want to avoid making decisions based on the game knowledge for my virgin run.

To be more specific:

Storm Warrior - hill dwarf 16/14/16/8/18/8
Samurai - half-giant 20/10/16/8/10/9
Bard - human 14/14/12/13/8/18
Cleric - half salamander 16/10/14/8/18/9
Wizard - deep kobold 9/16/14/20/10/10
Psionicist - stygian human 8/16/12/20/10/11

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom