Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I've got the team kinda ready, although after making 12 characters, I thought I could fit more classes into my party.

I have:
Storm Warrior
Samurai
Bard
Cleric
Wizard
Psionicist
I have the storm warrior because I want the nature skill. I really wish I had one more melee dude, with dual wield or smth. I'm sure the squad could be much better, but I can always restart. I'm not pumping the difficulty up to the max, so I should manage.
There is a great storm warrior npc, better than anything you (or anyone) can make due to his race. Take a fighter instead.

Edit: too late.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
You can get storm warrior companion which is actually quite good in prologue if you want so you can create other class
I know that from reading the thread, but I think I want to avoid making decisions based on the game knowledge for my virgin run.

To be more specific:

Storm Warrior - hill dwarf 16/14/16/8/18/8
Samurai - half-giant 20/10/16/8/10/9
Bard - human 14/14/12/13/8/18
Cleric - half salamander 16/10/14/8/18/9
Wizard - deep kobold 9/16/14/20/10/10
Psionicist - stygian human 8/16/12/20/10/11

Okay party looks good enough should be fine for normal-hard

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Yeah Im giving up with archmage ironman after practicing some fights then buffing encounters which were hard enough already seems retarded decision. Got twice into crypt but the dragon and fight after it got changed for the worse. I could probably still do it with some luck if I wanted to bring multiple psionicists but don't really want to do that.

Think Im benching this game now I got over 100hours on it after release so I just wait for the next module.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah Im giving up with archmage ironman after practicing some fights then buffing encounters which were hard enough already seems retarded decision. Got twice into crypt but the dragon and fight after it got changed for the worse. I could probably still do it with some luck if I wanted to bring multiple psionicists but don't really want to do that.

Think Im benching this game now I got over 100hours on it after release so I just wait for the next module.

I burned down Dragon first time but I think probably better to use specialized weapons against it. Next fight (Forge) can be tanked with Summons.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I gave up on my Ranger and melee party, they are promising but the game is too much of a slog without cone of colds and fireballs and shit. So I made a new party using what I learned from the first 1 1/2 runs to try to make the most OP party. It's fun slaughtering the game. :smug:

But I'm kinda losing interest now, want to play some other stuff and come back to this for a good custom module sometime.

Desiderius

Patron
I gave up on my Ranger and melee party, they are promising but the game is too much of a slog without cone of colds and fireballs and shit. So I made a new party using what I learned from the first 1 1/2 runs to try to make the most OP party. It's fun slaughtering the game. :smug:

But I'm kinda losing interest now, want to play some other stuff and come back to this for a good custom module sometime.

Game gets item flooded around Pizzara fight and I have trouble making it through the equipment dance. Same place I got bogged down in with D:OS II.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

I burned down Dragon first time but I think probably better to use specialized weapons against it. Next fight (Forge) can be tanked with Summons.

What do you mean by specialized weapon? Cant afford to craft at that point since spending xp/money for levels is more important. I often craft after crypt since the summon guy gives 80k gold or something.

Also forge is easy if you win initiative roll with psio or wiz before salamander so cant do too much about that fight.

The other fight that got changed is the last coffin with 3 undead guys. At least the caster has some new shit it did not have before I think. But the dragon having incorporeal is 100% new after last patch.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Game gets item flooded around Pizzara fight and I have trouble making it through the equipment dance. Same place I got bogged down in with D:OS II.
The inventory management is insane. Especially with no auto sort on all the various gems and herbs and scrolls and pieces of metal and shit. Omg. Not a fun mini game.

Desiderius

Patron
There's enough bags and chests you can store stuff in. You can use a system for them: one for gems, one for herbs, one for scrolls etc.

Bigger problem is figuring out what to equip/craft/etc.

Desiderius

Patron

What do you mean by specialized weapon? Cant afford to craft at that point since spending xp/money for levels is more important. I often craft after crypt since the summon guy gives 80k gold or something.

Also forge is easy if you win initiative roll with psio or wiz before salamander so cant do too much about that fight.

The other fight that got changed is the last coffin with 3 undead guys. At least the caster has some new shit it did not have before I think. But the dragon having incorporeal is 100% new after last patch.

“I gave up my playthrough because I got owned. Dev shld nerf. Also let me tell you the optimal way to attack those fights.”

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

“I gave up my playthrough because I got owned. Dev shld nerf. Also let me tell you the optimal way to attack those fights.”

Im not sure how this answered my question about what do you mean by specialized weapons? I have been planning on archmage ironman runs so Im curious about tactics that I have been missing so please enlighten me :P

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
There's a Ghost Touch Undead Bane (?) weapon in one of the chests and and Disrupting weapon that also has some kind of Undead specific bonus (?) in another. I sliced him up pretty fast with my Pal maybe?

He got off the Beserk so I Webbed most of my own team. Pal was immune maybe? Dragon's vulnerable to Fire but you don't have a ton of high damage single target Fire stuff yet. Takes a few casts to wear him down with AoE.

Ghost touch is really important to take the variance out of that fight. Just remember feeling like I finally had a good handle on it for the first time.

Last two times in Forge my Bishop shit out an Air Elemental with enough HP to burn both enemy turns each round and Rogue laid down the Grease before slicing up the Sal in one turn after 5-foot-step. Went a lot smoother with a Summoning Domain since it let me Summon and Bless/Prayer on same turn, then Turn + Bless/Prayer if the Summon lived.

Dorateen

Arcane
Some new screenshots popped up on Steam from someone's playthrough of Hearkenwold.

50ABBBCD73978BAEBA94C3E80763A6F65BCD1151

ED95CC83DE945C74BD6E62CF8289DDAF328FE60B

FBCBF00F58565C097C3413AE73850410DD2F9D64

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Just finished the second pizdarra fight, a few thoughts:

1. Mage knight is pretty fun, in a way similar to the storm warrior I had on my previous playthrough. Usually you don't bother with the assorted wizard physical buffs while he's tailor-made for them and can also throw a fireball every now and again.
2. Paladin was a mistake. Compared to ALL the other martial classes, he is ridiculously subpar. The only thing that somewhat saves him is the early access to high-level cleric spells.
3. Cleric is less of a deadweight than I thought he'd be.
4. Ranger is A M A Z I N G. Being able to dispatch all those annoying low-hp fuckers quickly from a distance can be a GODSEND. Also great for finishing off multiple near-death enemies all over the place at once.

Desiderius

Patron
Pal is a strange one. I think you’re mostly a caster/alive stayer/inverse Death Knight who can Smite here and there with a weapon specialized for the situation.

Can also do some Grappling since no 2-handed bonus for Grappling.

It may be a case of changing your whole approach to turtle the team around the Pal and let the fights come to you with AoE buffs and Pal Auras and Reach/ranged attax.

Are there any beneficial Clouds/Surfaces you could put down to prevent enemy ones?

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1233530/view/3294958655386207505

Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.37
Hello everyone! KotC 2 version 1.37 is here.

Aside from bug fixes, there are three main new features:
* a new single-panel dialogue interface (which you can turn off in the game options if you prefer the older one),
* new buttons in the cryptography screen,
* and a new checkbox in the weapon/armour enchantment interface allowing you to leave the name of the item (e.g. +2 Excalibur) unchanged.

In addition, it's now easier to take advantage of the Wade In + Mobility feat combination as you can just click on enemies. You no longer have to use the combat-actions menu to alternate between attacks and movement.

Please scroll down and skip the list of changes if you'd like to read about planned new sprites and the other things I've been planning for KotC 2.

List of changes in version

• Reworked the Dialogue Interface in order to display the NPC/story dialogue and the possible answers in a single panel. However, you have the option to revert to the previous dialogue interface. To do so, please look for the option labelled 'Merged Dialogue Interface' in the Game Options screen, under 'Display'. Thank you so much
    Guido for the interface suggestion and the medieval graphics!
  • Improved the Cryptography Interface when mousing over a rune. Also added two buttons: 'Reveal a letter' and 'Resolve'. Reveal a letter will automatically decode a single random rune (if at least one rune hasn't been assigned to a letter yet). The Resolve button simply lets you complete the decoding successfully in one click.
  • In the Enchant Weapon or Armour dialogue box, added a checkbox allowing you to keep the existing name of the item you're enchanting. Note: if your weapon's name is in the form 'enhancement bonus + name' (for example +3 Excalibur) and your enchantment is a higher enhancement bonus, then the game will update the enhancement-bonus part of the name (e.g. +4 Excalibur).
  • Also reworked the Forge Weapon or Armour dialogue box so that you can use any name for the item.
  • Fixed issues with Wade In and Mobility when you attack enemies by clicking on them rather than by using the combat-actions menu. You will now be able to continue your attacks simply by clicking on enemies (as long as you have some attacks left and some movement points).
  • Fixed a bug with ranged attacks when you have the feat Wade In, there is a surprise round, and you click on one of the enemies to start your ranged attacks.
  • Reworked the Modify Weapon screen slightly in the Module Editor.
  • The game will now display the energy type of the Death Throes ability when it's activated. The icon will also be adjusted according to the energy type. Also, both Globe of Invulnerability and Spell Resistance will no longer protect against Death Throes.
  • Added the chart of Carrying Capacity in the help system, in the help entry for the Burdened condition.
  • Given a -4 penalty to initiative checks to the constructs at the beginning of the Tutorial Adventure.
  • When combat begins, the game will ignore any party-defeated scripts / scene scripts / tactics scripts associated with the party members (recruited companions may have one of these scripts, but they shouldn't be executed once the character becomes a party member). Also expanded the script command used to set the scripts of a character so that you can now change the party defeated (lost fight) script and other new scripts I'm planning to add (wounded script and turn script).
  • Fixed the display of spells with a repeating effect when a metamagic feat is applied.
  • Fixed an issue with cover and Reflex-Save Spread spells like Fireball or Shadow Storm. Any targets that do not have line of sight to the centre of the spell will be considered to benefit from Improved Cover, granting them +4 on the reflex saving throw.
  • Fixed an issue with the display of spell descriptors in the help system.
  • Fixed an issue with the Flat Footed condition remaining out of combat.
  • Fixed a problem with tiny status icons disappearing after opening the Formation Screen.
  • Fixed the duration of the spell Greater Stoneskin.
  • Fixed a problem with the scrollbars of small text boxes in the Module Editor.
  • Fixed a bug with the display of the expected effect of Grease on flying creatures that don't have the Prone condition.
  • Fixed a bug with certain melee attack paths allowing your character to reach a creature standing atop battlements.
  • Fixed a bug with the placement of rectangle spells like Grease near inter-square doors and walls.
  • Fixed issues with the Wizard feat Sleep and Hold Magic.
  • Corrected the help entry about movement in combat, as it stated that you move through squares occupied by allies at half speed. Actually, you move at normal speed through these squares.
  • Corrected an error (a missing word) in the help entry about Critical Hits.
  • Fixed a display issue in dialogue screens concerning the highlighting of the moused-over player answer.

Are you going to add new sprites?

A few people have been asking me this. I'm definitely planning to add new sprites. I've yet to finalise the list or hire a graphic designer for that. The reason being that, thus far, I've had to dedicate all my time to bug fixing, email replies and the implementation of some requested features that were relatively easy to implement.

Adding new sprites will take time even after I've found the graphic designer, because they are so difficult to create.

Also, new sprites are just one planned feature among many others, such as the upgrade of the Barbarian, Monk, Rogue and Mage Knight, the iconised combat actions menu, new feats, new subraces and new spells. At the moment, no single feature has priority over the others.

I'm going to be making three new modules in coming months, so I'll try to make sure that the first upcoming module brings at least a few new sprites, if possible. You won't have to buy the new module to get the new sprites. But they'll probably be coming around the same time as the new module, which means not right now.

So far, I haven't had the time to reply to people on the forums, but I will. My apologies for giving the impression that I'm not listening to player feedback. Please be sure that your feedback is important and it is really appreciated.

I will post a Kickstarter update soon in order to review this month's KotC 2 updates and the next steps in the development of the game. The KS updates can be found there: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1848628223/knights-of-the-chalice-2-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts

Thank You, Brave Warriors And Mages! Enjoy! Best Regards ^_^

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Legit. Now he just needs to make it bigger so all the options fit at once

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom