Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

almondblight

Arcane
Hope people in the community help him find a good and affordable sprite artist. Look at the difference folks here made when they helped Craig Stern get a better artist for Telepath Tactics/Together in Battle.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Hope people in the community help him find a good and affordable sprite artist. Look at the difference folks here made when they helped Craig Stern get a better artist for Telepath Tactics/Together in Battle.

I don't know about you but I help him to track bugs and suggested a fair amount of QoL features along with some improvements for the weakest classes like the monk and the paladin.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
weakest classes like the monk

Monk is weak? I found monk mantis great for my first archmage playthrough. Even though some feats are wasted (ki strike, stunning fist) at least for me since I prefer to use weapons over fists other feats are at least somewhat useful. Belt of the lion is quite awkward in some scenarios so having wade-in makes playing melee more pleasant.
But if you made these suggestions before release then Im not familiar how monk was in beta or if some things got changed before release.

For my archmage ironman grinding I would replace rogue for monk if only rogue did not have so many good dialogue options.

But yeah for main melee guy I still prefer fighter or gladiator over monk.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Monk is weak? I found monk mantis great for my first archmage playthrough. Even though some feats are wasted (ki strike, stunning fist) at least for me since I prefer to use weapons over fists other feats are at least somewhat useful. Belt of the lion is quite awkward in some scenarios so having wade-in makes playing melee more pleasant.
But if you made these suggestions before release then Im not familiar how monk was in beta or if some things got changed before release.

For your first?
I've done so many archmage runs I can't even count them, latest being low magic.

You find the monk strong?
Compared to what?

Have you played a dual-wielding fighter with a good skewer weapon (x4 crit multiplier + big base damage >100-200 crit damage) ?
That's my base for a comparison.
DK, Barbarian, Samurai hold their ground, the monk, on the other hand has a lower BAB and nothing to improve it (like the samurai when using a single weapon, the barbarian rage or smite)

Unarmed damage is quite weak, even if you pick a half giant, of course, you can use weapons but why would you do that since it becomes a fighter with a lower BAB and less good feats?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
For your first?
I've done so many archmage runs I can't even count them, latest being low magic.

I actually misspoke for my first full run which was normal and switching to hard at around middle of the game. I have played with monk on archmage but not full playthrough.
I have finished game 3 times now once with normal-hard twice with archmage. Past month I have been grinding archmage ironman got probably around 60 hours on those attempts for now dying to coffin vampire is my best result so far. I have not done full playthrough with all the classes yet still missing ranger, barbarian, psychic healer and mage knight. Ranger and psychic healer are the only classes I have not touched yet.

You find the monk strong?
Compared to what?

If we are talking about only pure melee classes without any casting potential my ranking would go like this:
1. Fighter 2. Gladiator 3. Monk 4. Death Knight 5. Samurai 6. Barbarian

I might put too much value for wade in but considering how much movement monk gets attacking pretty much any enemy anywhere with full attack without provoking attack of opportunity is nice. And yeah all of those classes hit harder than monk but besides fighter most of time only once. On the other hand having 14str is quite limiting early so tickling enemy many times is most of time worse than hitting once hard so I might overvalue mantis monk.

Another reason is why I rank mantis monk so high is that I find early game more harder than middle/late game besides few encounters for ironman grinding (considering that I probably should rank samurai over death knight). Mantis monk starting with 20-22 AC is quite nice without losing any movement. Middle-late game value of melee becomes lower for the reasons you know already so Im not going to list em. It is still nice to have 1 guy that hits hard middle-lategame and fighter is obviously the best choice for that.

Comparing melee classes to caster classes is probably not fruitful so I dont even try to rank all the classes.

Have you played a dual-wielding fighter with a good skewer weapon (x4 crit multiplier + big base damage >100-200 crit damage)?
That's my base for a comparison.
Yup and same time with mantis monk I used both of those classes for my first full playthrough. Fighter is better.

DK, Barbarian, Samurai hold their ground, the monk, on the other hand has a lower BAB and nothing to improve it (like the samurai when using a single weapon, the barbarian rage or smite)

Yup other than wade-in monk does not get much from levels other than some more movement + some stuff to help with survivability.

Unarmed damage is quite weak, even if you pick a half giant, of course, you can use weapons but why would you do that since it becomes a fighter with a lower BAB and less good feats?

Agreed when Im comparing monk to other classes I ignore unarmed abilities helpfulness.

In a nutshell what I think monk has going for it is high survivability/movement and getting the best melee ability in the game. Then is that worth it compared to higher early game dmg that other classes bring Im not so sure anymore :D For the next module I start with mantis monk since I have a lot more experience with chalice now than I played with monk last time so I might change my mind.

Last edited:

almondblight

Arcane

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've come to the conclusion that this game is still kind of retarded. Even with the extended intro, the extended additional options for fights and extensive meta-knowledge, it still largely boils down to a quickdraw fiesta, and I'm not even in chapter 4 yet.

Also, another thing that I find insulting is how the game autosaves between streaks of fights in Finchbury, but Pierre couldn't be bothered to add that anywhere afterwards in the rest of the game (or at least from what I've seen thus far).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I've come to the conclusion that this game is still kind of retarded. Even with the extended intro, the extended additional options for fights and extensive meta-knowledge, it still largely boils down to a quickdraw fiesta, and I'm not even in chapter 4 yet.

Not entirely, only a few fights fall in that category, in most fight, you can take losses and still win without burning too many resources.
Also, you'd be surprised to see how a bulky healing focused Cleric or even better Bishop can turn the initiative gamble into a "icanneverdie" game.

Anyway, we need more of it, more autistic, combat focused RPG and less Sawyerism.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, you'd be surprised to see how a bulky healing focused Cleric or even better Bishop can turn the initiative gamble into a "icanneverdie" game.

Black rose ambush by the fire pit in high sewers.

Aeromancer acts first, uses greater gust of wind, niggas land in a fire pit and take as much as 20d6 damage in total, that's enough to kill even a martial nigga at that point.

How do you turn that into never die? Because you can't.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

Aeromancer acts first, uses greater gust of wind, niggas land in a fire pit and take as much as 20d6 damage in total, that's enough to kill even a martial nigga at that point.

CQM6DGf.png

This fight?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yes.

If you wanted to make a point out of option #1, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that there are two aeromancers there.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Oh sorry I was thinking you meant ambush as in extra round, yeah there are some fights that you pretty much cannot do anything if you get fucked by initiative rolls agreed with that

Darth Canoli

Arcane

I've done this fight a billion times and never had a guy dying in the fire pit, hell, most of the times I dive into it later during the Dragon fight to skewer the poor thing.

Latest playthrough, probably because of the Pal aura, everyone succeeded on the saving throw.
So, I really don't know what you're talking about, it was never an issue, besides, there is some rings and armors granting some fire resistance.

Also, if someone gets KOed, just use any healing spell and if he dies, there's some TR scrolls everywhere.
Or Raise dead if you're not hoarding xp.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite

I understand that alternative title for this game could be Knights of Dexterity: Initiative Wars, but have you tried to approach this room from other side? There a passage where you could use warrior skill or water druid skill to swim into different part of the sewers and approach lava room from north (there plenty of different enemies though) After reaching lava room (and beating some creatures in center) you could position yourself little more better. Also there possibility that having Pizzara in party will strip enemy of surprise round, but I wasn't able to confirm this due to forgetting about her existence (and book) until all sewers were cleaned.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I understand that alternative title for this game could be Knights of Dexterity: Initiative Wars, but have you tried to approach this room from other side? There a passage where you could use warrior skill or water druid skill to swim into different part of the sewers and approach lava room from north

I did this on all my previous playthroughs, where funnily enough this encounter was never a problem in the least. But now I have neither a druid nor a fighter (or well technically I have Jorad and wossname mantis, but then I have to use them vs beholders and deprive a valuable other party member of xp, and my autism doesn't allow that), so I have to waltz through the ambush.

Also there possibility that having Pizzara in party will strip enemy of surprise round

Yes, it works like that.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Phew. Finished Augury. Final fight was annoying due to Dragon being stuck in endless thinking loop and I had to replay whole battle anew. My Earth druid sat on floor in depression due Quicksand not working in room and majority of other AOE spells would fuck up whole party. And if someone reads this before starting game - don't be me and sell all rings granting resist to fire, good think I was able to craft some armor and luckily managed to dealt with sphere quickly enough. Also IMO XP as currency for crafting and transformation does not align with what XP supposed to represent. You can't just lose memories about epic battle with monsters for some sword. But maybe it's just me.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Was it like that in Temple of Elemental Evil where you lose exp, or was it gold, for crafting? I don't remember...
Yes, that's probably where it comes from.
Both gold and xp, plus you need certain spells or alignments for some enchantments.
While I liked ToEE, crafting system where you pay with xp wasn't my favorite part. It's up to preference, I guess.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1233530/view/3326484488059732977

Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.38
Hello everyone! Version
is a small update for KotC 2. Here is the list of changes:

• When the game's dialogue interface displays the list of your party members and you have to select one or several party members, mousing over the name of each character will now display the character class and level, and you can right click to open the character sheet of the moused-over character.
  • The feat Healing Focus now allows a Psychic Healer to activate Cell Division as a level-1 power. Also corrected the in-game help entry for Healing Focus.
  • You can now right click on the spells of a character in the Party Creation Screen to display the help entry associated with each spell.
  • Fixed display problems in Puzzle Screens when the single-panel dialogue interface option is turned on.
  • Fixed character name display problems in the Level-Up Screen.
  • Fixed a bug in the level-up Hit Point rolls above level 20.
  • Fixed the Halberd sprite used by the weapon named Severance.
  • Fixed a bug with the AI when the enemy uses the Slide action to break the grapple of an allied mage.
  • Fixed a typographical error in the help entry for Game Controls Out Of Combat.
  • Fixed a bug with picking up items when the party is failing on a hidden search check.
  • Fixed the gold amount check when booking a room at the inn after using the skill Word of Honour.
  • Allies will now be marked as 'Defeated' (not Unconscious) if their Hit Points drop to zero or below.

Thank You, Valiant Knights of the Realm! Best regards :)

Sacibengala

Prophet
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1233530/view/3326484488059732977

Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.38
Hello everyone! Version
is a small update for KotC 2. Here is the list of changes:

• When the game's dialogue interface displays the list of your party members and you have to select one or several party members, mousing over the name of each character will now display the character class and level, and you can right click to open the character sheet of the moused-over character.
  • The feat Healing Focus now allows a Psychic Healer to activate Cell Division as a level-1 power. Also corrected the in-game help entry for Healing Focus.
  • You can now right click on the spells of a character in the Party Creation Screen to display the help entry associated with each spell.
  • Fixed display problems in Puzzle Screens when the single-panel dialogue interface option is turned on.
  • Fixed character name display problems in the Level-Up Screen.
  • Fixed a bug in the level-up Hit Point rolls above level 20.
  • Fixed the Halberd sprite used by the weapon named Severance.
  • Fixed a bug with the AI when the enemy uses the Slide action to break the grapple of an allied mage.
  • Fixed a typographical error in the help entry for Game Controls Out Of Combat.
  • Fixed a bug with picking up items when the party is failing on a hidden search check.
  • Fixed the gold amount check when booking a room at the inn after using the skill Word of Honour.
  • Allies will now be marked as 'Defeated' (not Unconscious) if their Hit Points drop to zero or below.

Thank You, Valiant Knights of the Realm! Best regards :)
How he manages to update the game so fast at the same time on steam and gog while other devs with a publisher can't do that in a window of several days is beyond me.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
He finally fixed the display bug with puzzles. That made playing the dice game at tavern so annoying that I put the playthrough on hold. Maybe after I take a break from Colony Ship, or am waiting for next patch, I'll jump back in and start new run. I love starting new runs xd

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom