Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
New patch broke piza fight, have not tested other encounters yet. Game crashes turn 2-3 with multiple tries

I'm not saying Pierre didn't screw something up, but just in case, have you tried doing the validate and repair function on the game just to ensure there wasn't an error somewhere in the patching process?

you mean "verify integrity of game files"? Tested now did not help

Yeah, that's what I meant. That sucks.

Mauman

Learned
Great. Now my game is crashing if I summon anything.

Which is really really annoying considering how much I rely on my aberration summon.

edit - checked around and it's not just me. Evidently Pierre pulled an Owlcat. Well, guess I'll take a break for a day or two.

2nd edit - on a more positive note, I want to say I appreciate how the game let's me cause Wily Coyote styled shenanigans such as

causing that evil fire druid in the spider cave to slip and fall off a cliff and break his neck when I used grease on him

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Quick question. Do I have to take an elf for certain searches in this game? Or will a rogue with 20+ int suffice?
Why would you want a Rogue with 20+ INT anyway?
Half-Elf gives +1 to search btw, not that it's very helpful but easy to forget.
Forget elves if you want to min-max you characters, they are mediocre for most classes other than perhaps the "triple-stat" casters.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Rogues need INT to get casts on their spells, but hard to beat Mantis Rogue and there you’re stuck with 14 max, which is why your Wiz/Warlock ends up needing to cover the Searching for a bit at least.

Desiderius

Patron
Psi with 20 INT gets a couple dialogues so maybe I was searching with that. Can’t remember.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Rogues need INT to get casts on their spells, but hard to beat Mantis Rogue and there you’re stuck with 14 max, which is why your Wiz/Warlock ends up needing to cover the Searching for a bit at least.
Sure he does but casting spells is not what Rogues are about. You tell me that you pump INT instead of physical stats on a rogue? Mind you, i haven't played with a rogue so i have no practical knowledge but i always thought that you use rogue spells as secondary rogue tool, for buffs and if needed try a low DC spell. This is how i planned mine at least. You tell me that some people use Rogue as spellcaster first and pump INT, not DEX?

Mauman

Learned
Sure he does but casting spells is not what Rogues are about. You tell me that you pump INT instead of physical stats on a rogue? Mind you, i haven't played with a rogue so i have no practical knowledge but i always thought that you use rogue spells as secondary rogue tool, for buffs and if needed try a low DC spell. This is how i planned mine at least. You tell me that some people use Rogue as spellcaster first and pump INT, not DEX?

Evidently yes as rogues can use scrolls (even spells they don't normally get), and the game provides a shit ton of them. There's evidently an argument that this is more effective than going for sneak attacks (I don't know if this is true). Also, they have at least one spell that goes all the way up to 20d6 damage.

My point was if a rogue could find everything that an elf could. Sources are vague if elf searching and rogue (with high int) search are the same or different. Elf stats suck as others have mentioned. I'd prefer not to have one.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Evidently yes as rogues can use scrolls (even spells they don't normally get), and the game provides a shit ton of them. There's evidently an argument that this is more effective than going for sneak attacks (I don't know if this is true). Also, they have at least one spell that goes all the way up to 20d6 damage.

My point was if a rogue could find everything that an elf could. Sources are vague if elf searching and rogue (with high int) search are the same or different. Elf stats suck as others have mentioned. I'd prefer not to have one.
Obviously you CAN make a rogue spellcaster first but what would be the point? You'd end with a weak spellcaster + weak melee damage dealer. This my question.

From what I saw in my 1.5 playthroughs what counts the most is the Search stat which is simply INT + bonus from race (elf, dwarf, half elf) and rogue IIRC. At least in my half play (with an elf) the only difference i saw compared to a playthrough without an elf when it comes to search for secrets/additional loot was the need of Search high enough to overcome the DC. Elf wizard starts with 22 (usually) and there are some 22DC search checks early. Later it doesn't matter, you can boost your int. In other words, if you have a high enough INT rogue - you are good to go. However some others finished the game a bazillion of times so their info might be better.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait. Why would you play a Rogue as a spellcaster? Just roll a Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, or anything else. Rogues are mostly martials with spells to compliment their combat capabilities. As is evident with Sneak Attack, Uncanny Dodge, and Crippling Strikes; plus the feats which further empower them, such as Greater Dodge. I like Rogues primarily because of Mirror Image and other nice buffs that Monk, Fighter, or other Martial can't get access to. They also make good duel wielders or duelist who uses free hand to throw the odd chromatic orb or fireball.

Desiderius

Patron
Oh for fuck sake. You do both.

Most of the spells are buffs anyway but yeah you also do the scrolls. And of course you rely on Sneaks - with four light weapons you pick up three extra swings with each two-weapon feat.

But you only get those on a full attack. Burning a scroll or casting a spell is a Standard Action. Cast + Move or Full Attack.

Just took down Sal boss in one round with the help of the Grease I cast the previous round before hanging it up for awhile.

Desiderius

Patron
You eventually get the Fast Spells Feat but I like Greater Feint first to set up Sneaks.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Are you... ah, no sorry, it's you Desi. Are you now in the "Captain Obvious" phase, then?
Of curse you "do both"... for fuck's sake...
The point was that you can't max two stats at the same time. DUH! And casting or fighting doesn't use the same stats or feats. Adding to int OR dex at level up is already not "doing both equally" but doing "one more than the other". Same with feats, especially on Archmage since Rogue isn't exactly rich in additional feats.

<double facepalm>

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, but the question still remains. Why would you use them as a *pure* spell caster. Which is what this guy is saying:
There's evidently an argument that this is more effective than going for sneak attacks
You're using a class that doesn't get that many specialized feats for it compared to any other spell oriented class.

Dorateen

Arcane
I've also gotten use out of our rogue as a backup range attacker. Especially nearing the end, I now have two characters in the party with Rapid Shot (Ranger and the Rogue). That has been great for taking down the mirror images of enemy spell casters, along with the fights around the castle with enemies positioned on the wall.

Desiderius

Patron
Yes, but the question still remains. Why would you use them as a *pure* spell caster. Which is what this guy is saying:
There's evidently an argument that this is more effective than going for sneak attacks
You're using a class that doesn't get that many specialized feats for it compared to any other spell oriented class.

The question was why would you boost INT. I answered because Mantis starts at 14 and that's just a little too low. A little DEX won't be missed that badly since the Sneaks are generating so much damage and there is no DEX to Dam. And you start with 20.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
<goes into cahoots with bandits>
<extorts merchants with fake documents>
<sells copy of document to obviously evil bastard>
<gets money promised from bandits the next day>
<turns on bandits, kills them>
<turns in bandit body for bounty>

This game is great :D

Nice, I never tried that since you can't align with Yanos (well, he throws you in a pit naked either way), looked like the evil path wasn't this interesting (same for the witch's cave, evil way gives a lesser reward).
Aside from the demon's quest from the tavern, I don't think many evil choices pay off.

Since most of the rogue's spells are buffs, he doesn't need more than 13/14 INT anyway.
The Rogue is a killing machine against anything not immune to crits, which is a lot of ennemies and with four weapons, you can always pick/make one efficient against those (slimes mostly) or just use him to tank then.

I've also gotten use out of our rogue as a backup range attacker. Especially nearing the end, I now have two characters in the party with Rapid Shot (Ranger and the Rogue). That has been great for taking down the mirror images of enemy spell casters, along with the fights around the castle with enemies positioned on the wall.

Using rapid fire to get rid of mirror images when with a mantis rogue, high movement and self true seeing works better.

Mauman

Learned
Please hurry up Pierre I want to play again :negative:
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/3183487463215080980/

This is a good link to read. Using this and one of the youtube videos listed in the comments I got the game working again.

edit - So you don't have to look up the app/depot/manifest numbers

.\DepotDownloader.exe -app 1233530 -depot 1233531 -manifest 1823549824689465694 -username XXXX -password XXXXXX (where the XXXX stuff is your steam account info)

Only thing not listed in the instructions (though it was in the comments of one of the youtube vids) is that you might need to download .Net runtime

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0/runtime?initial-os=windows

This of course assumes you're using steam. I think GoG has baked in rollback features.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Hi all! Here is version 1.40 of KotC 2. It's a small update. Here's the list of changes:

• Fixed a source of crashes when recruiting a new companion and summoning a creature This bug was introduced in version 1.39. My apologies for that! Anytime there's a bad bug like that, please email me at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com
    That's the quickest way for me to fix the issue. I heard about the bug only today (thank you Juhani!!).
  • Fixed a problem in the High Sewers script about the buried treasure of the Sharkman Druid
  • Fixed an issue with the free trip attempt conducted as part of an Attack of Opportunity or Ready Versus Approach command.
  • Expanded the in-game chart of damage rolls according to each size category.
  • Fixed the help for the Death Knight special ability ' Conviction ' in the Feats & Abilities tab of the Character Sheet.
  • Added some code to accelerate gameplay during combat. I haven't finished doing this. I'll add more optimisation code in coming updates.

Thank You, Stalwart Knights And Puissant Wizards! Take care! ^_^

Butter

Arcane
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1233530/view/4822806821990281069

Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.40
Hi all! Here is version 1.40 of KotC 2. It's a small update. Here's the list of changes:

• Fixed a source of crashes when recruiting a new companion and summoning a creature. This bug was introduced in version 1.39. My apologies for that! Anytime there's a bad bug like that, please email me at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com. That's the quickest way for me to fix the issue. I heard about the bug only today (thank you Juhani!!).
  • Fixed a problem in the High Sewers script about the buried treasure of the Sharkman Druid.
  • Fixed an issue with the free trip attempt conducted as part of an Attack of Opportunity or Ready Versus Approach command.
  • Expanded the in-game chart of damage rolls according to each size category.
  • Fixed the help for the Death Knight special ability 'Conviction' in the Feats & Abilities tab of the Character Sheet.
  • Added some code to accelerate gameplay during combat. I haven't finished doing this. I'll add more optimisation code in coming updates.
Thank You, Stalwart Knights And Puissant Wizards! Take care! ^_^

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom