Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Darth Canoli

Arcane
One thing that rattles me is the Barbarian's rage "fix", I didn't even report it because I thought it was a compensation while waiting for the Barbarian revamp.
Limited rage makes the Barbarian (in its actual form) not worth picking.

Dorateen

Arcane
I finished Augury of Chaos and wanted to share a couple of thoughts. These are things I had been contemplating, but I intended to complete the module first. Of course, this commentary does not apply to Archmage or Ironman runs, which are an entirely different level of play meriting its own discussion and analysis, and deservedly so. Rather, I wanted to look at the game design in general.

Going back to the Fantasy World Engine's development, this is a system that allows players to create powerful characters and build powerhouse parties. It is 3.5 Dungeons & Dragons on steroids. Consequently, I think when Augury of Chaos was being put together, it became necessary to make super monsters and super villains to threaten such statistical super men. This is why we get ungodly creations like Queen Sattram, why enemies have waves of reinforcements arriving or devils conjured in the middle of battle. The engine includes spells like Prismatic Void, and other magic of mass destruction, which required combat with dozens of opponents in order to make these tools relevant. Did Pierre go overboard with encounters in some places? Perhaps, but I have to respect the sheer audacity of difficulty thrown at the player, and it made for a unique exercise in patience and perseverance.

One of the reasons Augury of Chaos has its justifiably earned reputation as a hardcore computer role-playing game is due to the restrictions on resting. However, I found there are a number of factors that now mitigate this to an extent. The introduction of Finchbury content makes Chapter 1 a more relaxed exploration. The climactic encounter of the Chapel was not an issue if you are running fifth level characters by that time. As soon as you reach the sewers, there are rest spots available, even with limitation as well as one you can use continually. Notwithstanding isolated death snare scenarios, in the High Sewers I thought the availability of rest spots was generous. Furthermore, since the earliest updates there were options to allow recovery of hit points after every battle and there are legitimate feats that do the same. I had a stockpile of astragalus, which restores all of a character's spell slots. I know the purpose of restricting resting is to create some tension, but with all the consumables and scrolls, I never felt I was in danger of running out of resources. And there was not any encounter I could not take on at full strength, if I wished. All this made me wonder if a more traditional resting system was implemented, would it have even made a difference.

Augury of Chaos is a fun adventure with an interesting dungeon complex. Again, Finchbury puts everything in context, giving the module a proper beginning and ties it all together by the end. The character/party building is sublime. I'm looking forward to The Dark Arena module.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1233530/view/3320856891222480325

Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.41
Hello everyone! KotC 2 version 1.41 is here.

On this occasion, I've just created a new app branch named 'previous' for KotC 2 on Steam (thank you Nicola for the suggestion!). I'll put the last stable version in there in case the latest version has game-breaking bugs.

To access the 'previous' branch, please right click on KotC 2 in your Steam library then click on 'Properties'. Then click on the tab labelled 'Betas'. Then click on 'previous'.

However, I recommend just playing with the latest version. Simply let me know by email at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.comif there's a serious problem with the latest version, please. Thank you!!

Here's the list of changes in version 1.41:

• Added some code to accelerate gameplay during combat. That's still a work in progress but you should notice some improvement when moving through the effect of Stinking Cloud and other terrain spells.
  • Added a transparency effect on character sprites when they're standing within a magical cloud.
  • The Barbarian's Rage will now grant a +2 bonus to Willpower saving throws (+3 with Greater Rage and +4 with Mighty Rage). Also updated the in-game help entry of the Barbarian class to reflect this.
  • Started work on the selection of Barbarian spirit animals during character creation. Please note: they don't do anything yet. But you can already check out their help entries. Feel free to comment on the spirit animals.
  • You can no longer use the Ranger's Critical Shot ability against targets that are immune to Critical Hits.
  • Fixed the spell school of the Necromancy spell Dominate Undead.
  • A Burdened character will no longer be able to move items from a Bag of Holding to any of the inventory slots.
  • The game will now display character Hit Points on top of sprites if the option to display the HPs in combat is turned on.
  • Fixed a bug with the Bishop's feat Extra Turning.
  • Fixed a bug preventing you from casting the Druid spell Summon Efreeti when you have immunity to fire damage.
  • Fixed a rare bug with dialogue answers containing the name of an NPC.
  • Added a link to the condition 'Dying' in the help entry for the feat Die Hard.
  • Added extra tooltip information in the second page of Character Creation when mousing over the ability scores.
  • Fixed a sprite issue in the second page of Character Creation.
  • Fixed a scrolling issue in the stairway ambush of the Tutorial Adventure.
  • Fixed a broken link in the help entry for the Energy Shield condition.
  • Fixed a typo in the help entry for Perfect Balance.
  • Fixed a typo in the help entry for Halflings.
Best Regards, Noble Paladins And Wise Mages! Enjoy! :)

overtenemy

Augur
I was about to post and ask about the barbarian and monk changes because I'm about to finally start and don't want to make a party if they were right around the corner. The barb stuff must be close but there's no mention of monk in the notes. Any educated guesses on ETA?

Mauman

Learned
Those spirit animals are going to make the Barbarian TOP fucking tier. (seriously, look at the list in the game)

At will blindsight? Pounce? A fucking sonic breath weapon?! Holy shit I'm excited.

Mauman

Learned
Can't say I'm a fan of how wands are dealt with.

For one, not being able to craft them severely limits your options to what's in the game. It'd be nice to have a wand of magic missile or fireball for instance, but I guess that's not going to happen :(

And recharging them....oh boy howdy is this pure retardo....

So a wand of mass blur that costs 1500 to buy costs 2500 gold, 200 xp (which seems like a lot), and A FUCKING WATER GEM to recharge?!

What in the God damn fuck? I mean, I get that wands are better in KoTC than standard 3.5 due to how they actually scale, but it should NOT cost more to recharge a wand than to buy it in the first place. Never mind the gem requirement (which is just pure stupidity).

I'd rather have crappy wands that I can use on a regular basis then this shitty system :/

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't say I'm a fan of how wands are dealt with.

For one, not being able to craft them severely limits your options to what's in the game.
Most games don't feature craftable or rechargeable wands at all. :dealwithit:
Also as Canoli says above, crafted wands were abused to trivialize the difficulty and design of KOTC1 by some players. It's better to have a pretty solid idea of what resources the players are rolling with when designing interesting encounters.

Mauman

Learned
Eh....no worries. I dealt with it :smug:

hEltkvv.jpeg

rLFuB6u.jpeg

:troll:

On a more serious note, maybe I'll try my hand at making some new wands for variety. Like maybe a wand of haste or electric loop.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/3543207

Update #60: KotC 2 Version 1.41 Fixes Bugs & Accelerates Gameplay!​

Hello everyone! The latest version of KotC 2 is version 1.41. It can be downloaded here for both Windows and macOS. It can also be downloaded on Steam and GOG. In the past month, I've been focusing on bug fixing. I've also been replying to posts on the main forum, GOG forum and Steam forum.
I've added new code to accelerate combat gameplay and a new option to turn off the calculation of the chance to hit of enemy Attacks of Opportunity. Finally, I've started implementing the upgrade of the Barbarian character class, which will allow you to select the character's Spirit Animals. Thank you so much Juhani for the awesome class-upgrade suggestions!

Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.41​

• Added a Steam branch allowing players to download the previous version of KotC 2. To access the 'previous' branch, please right click on KotC 2 in your Steam library then click on 'Properties'. Then click on the tab labelled 'Betas'. Then click on 'previous'. GOG users also have access to the previous version of the game.
  • Added some code to accelerate gameplay during combat. That's still a work in progress but you should notice some improvement when moving through the effect of terrain spells like Stinking Cloud.
  • Added a transparency effect on character sprites when they're standing within a magical cloud.
  • The Barbarian's Rage will now grant a +2 bonus to Willpower saving throws (+3 with Greater Rage and +4 with Mighty Rage). Also updated the in-game help entry of the Barbarian class to reflect this.
  • Started work on the selection of Barbarian Spirit Animals during character creation. Please note: they don't do anything yet. But you can already check out their help entries. Feel free to comment. :)
  • You can no longer use the Ranger's Critical Shot ability against targets with immunity to Critical Hits.
  • Fixed the spell school of the Necromancy spell Dominate Undead.
  • A Burdened character will no longer be able to move items from a Bag of Holding to inventory slots.
  • The game will now display character Hit Points on top of sprites if the option to display the HPs in combat is turned on in the Game Options screen.
  • Fixed a bug with the Bishop's feat Extra Turning.
  • Fixed a bug preventing you from casting the Druid spell Summon Efreeti when you have immunity to fire damage.
  • Fixed a rare bug with dialogue answers containing the name of an NPC.
  • Added a link to the condition 'Dying' in the help entry for the feat Die Hard.
  • Added extra tooltip information in the second page of Character Creation when mousing over the ability scores. Also fixed a sprite issue in the second page of Character Creation.
  • Fixed a scrolling issue in the stairway ambush of the Tutorial Adventure.
  • Fixed a broken link in the help entry for the Energy Shield condition. Also fixed typos in the help entries for Perfect Balance and Halflings.

Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.40​

• Fixed a source of crashes when recruiting a new companion and summoning a creature. This bug was introduced in version 1.39.
  • Fixed a problem in the High Sewers script about the buried treasure of the Sharkman Druid.
  • Fixed an issue with the free trip attempt conducted as part of an Attack of Opportunity or Ready Versus Approach command. It was ignoring the size category of enemies.
  • Expanded the in-game chart of damage rolls according to each size category.
  • Fixed the help for the Death Knight special ability 'Conviction' in the Feats & Abilities tab of the Character Sheet.
  • Added some code to accelerate gameplay during combat.

Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.39​

• Added a new option in the Game Options screen under 'Display'. You can now turn off the calculation and display of the chance to hit of enemy attacks of opportunity in order to accelerate gameplay. Simply click on 'Display Enemy AOO Percentages' under 'Display'. Do this if attack calculations are slowing down your game.
  • Fixed a performance issue during combat when a character has many conditions and effects.
  • During combat, the game will now display the character class of the acting character and the class of any moused-over character.
  • After a charge or a full attack, if your character can perform a swift combat manoeuvre, the game will no longer skip to the next character in the initiative list even if you have the option 'Automatic End of Turn' switched on.
  • Fixed a source of crashes occurring when a character is falling down and a script is triggered, such as the dialogue displayed in the tutorial when a character is knocked out for the first time.
  • Fixed a bug with the spells Remove Curse and Mass Remove Curse.
  • Fixed a bug with the feats Improved Magic Missile and Greater Magic Missile.
  • Fixed a bug with Spell Penetration bonuses from items that should apply to the caster level check when targeting enemies that have Spell Resistance.
  • Fixed a bug with the number of uses of Barbarian Rage not being reduced properly after activation. Also, you won't be able to start a Rage out of combat.
  • Fixed a problem with the five-foot step action ignoring inter-square cover. This problem was more visible in the Hearkenwold module.
  • Fixed a problem with the game displaying a five-foot step move + attack when actually you can't take a five-foot step to reach the enemy. That was related to inter-square covers. This problem was more visible in the Hearkenwold module.
  • The game will now remove the Monk's 'Flurry Of Blows' condition when combat ends or when your character is knocked out.
  • Using the Curing ability on allies when your character also has the Flux domain will no longer require a ranged-touch attack roll.
  • In the 'Activate Items And Special Abilities" box, you can now right click on a line to open the help entry for the associated spell, if any. Also fixed a bug in the 'Activate Items And Special Abilities' box if you click on the heading to change the order of the list of abilities.
  • Fixed some scrolling issues when using the single-panel dialogue interface.
  • Added a bit of text in the help entry about Damage Reduction explaining how 'DR / x AND y' works, as well as 'DR / x OR y'.
  • The help entries for spells will now indicate if a spell is a Spread spell, in the list of descriptors.
  • When you have to select an item in your inventory as part of a dialogue taking place during combat, you'll now be able to open bags and chests in order to select items contained inside.
  • Fixed a display issue in the Weapon or Armour Details screen.
  • In the Inventory Screen, fixed an issue with the display of weapon and armour names when mousing over item slots.
  • In the Inventory Screen, fixed the comparison tooltip when mousing over Wands and other items with charges. Also fixed the comparison tooltip when mousing over Shields.
  • In the weapon and armour enchantment box, fixed an issue with the expected enchantment cost when it exceeds 10 points.
  • Fixed a link to the help entry for the Grease spell in the text of the Tutorial Adventure.
  • Added some text in the Tutorial Adventure: << Note that Ronja has multiple attacks. Left clicking on a nearby enemy directly, without using the Combat Actions menu, will let her perform all her attacks on the same enemy automatically until the target is defeated or your character has run out of attacks. However, you can use the attack commands in the Combat Actions menu to give more precise orders. You will then be able to select a different target for each one of your attacks. You will also be able to take a five-foot step in the middle of your attacks.>>
  • Added some more text in the Tutorial: << When you're viewing someone's Character Sheet, pressing the left or right arrow keys will switch the Character Sheet to the next party member. However, if the Character Sheet's active tab is one of the spell tabs (Arcane, Divine or Psionic), then pressing the left or right arrow keys will switch to the next party member that has spells of the same type as the active tab. Therefore, if you want to cycle between all of the characters, and not just magic users of a certain type, you should switch to the Attack tab before pressing the left or right arrow keys. >>

Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.38​

• When the game's dialogue interface displays the list of your party members and you have to select one or several party members, mousing over the name of each character will now display the character class and level, and you can now right click to open the character sheet of the moused-over character.
  • The feat Healing Focus now allows a Psychic Healer to activate Cell Division as a level-1 power. Also corrected the in-game help entry for Healing Focus.
  • You can now right click on the spells of a character in the Party Creation Screen to display the help entry of each spell.
  • Fixed display problems in Puzzle Screens when the single-panel dialogue interface option has been switched on in the Game Options screen.
  • Fixed character name display problems in the Level-Up Screen.
  • Fixed a bug in the level-up Hit Point rolls above level 20.
  • Fixed the Halberd sprite used by the weapon named Severance.
  • Fixed a bug with the AI when the enemy uses the Slide action to free allied mages from a grapple.
  • Fixed a typographical error in the help entry for Game Controls Out Of Combat.
  • Fixed a bug when trying to pick up items after the party has failed on a hidden search check.
  • Fixed the gold amount check when booking a room at the inn after using the skill Word of Honour.
  • Allies will now be marked as 'Defeated' (not Unconscious) if their Hit Points drop to zero or below.

Next Steps for Knights of the Chalice 2​

Essentially, the next steps remain unchanged from the list presented in the previous update:
  • Continue replying to posts on the Steam Forum, GOG forum and the website Forums, and fix any remaining bugs and issues in the game mentioned by the players on the forums or by email.
  • Work on the Kickstarter Social Goal promises. The remaining promises are: custom spell effect sounds, the new Druid spells Vampiric Spores, Creeping Doom and Iron Grip, a new option to display spell icons during level-up, a new option to display the monster injury status rather than the Hit Points, and a new option to distribute only 80% of Combat Experience Point awards.
  • Continue working on the other planned features: the upgrade of the Barbarian, Monk, Rogue and Mage Knight character classes, the iconised combat actions menu, new feats (including epic feats), new subraces, new spells, new Wizard familiars, new items, and new sound effects. The new spells I'm interested in include Wail of the Banshee, Mass Hideous Laughter, Reach, Mass Reach, Fly, Mass Fly, Vampiric Spores, and Creeping Doom.
  • Hire a graphic designer to create new sprites, new maps and other types of artwork.
  • Work on the three upcoming adventure modules. Create the new world map & new dungeon maps.
As always, if you find bugs or if you have any feedback, thoughts and suggestions, please feel free to let me know here, or in the Forums, or by email at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com.
Thank You For Your Stalwart Support, Valorous Heroes of the Realm! Enjoy! :)

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>Hire a graphic designer to create new sprites, new maps and other types of artwork.
If anyone knows of any good artists - that are affordable - try contacting Pierre about it, please.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Just started this. For the record, I played and enjoyed the original though I didn't finish.

Anyways, party/character great of course is great. I like different options especially in regards to HP per level as I feel minimum 50% is a fair balanced between cheesy max and character ending duper low rows. I'm not a big fan of the pscionist so far even though people seem to suck dick. Hopefully it gets better.

Biggest pet peeve us the gold to level up. I love the concept always have. But, 1000gp+ to go from lvl 1 to lvl 2 is way beyond excessive and there seems to be no options to tinker.

The story and writing are acceptable considering the goal of the game. The combat thus far has been manageable but some can be cheesy. Bees appearing out if thin air is so DA2. LOL The elemental encounter in inn is a over the top gotcha. :D

Why are the graphics worse than the original? It was passable but this is puke worthy.

What options do people yae in regards to difficulty, feats, Stat bonuses, and the like. What combo seems fair. Some of the standards for game base is head scratching.

Also, what I'd up with racial maximums? Dwarves with 14dex max? Fuck off. You need hood agility to work in forging weapons. Does it break game uf you dare go to 16? What do people do yo deal with thus limit? Ignore or follow as lemmings?

Still... the game looks funnable...

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Quick Skim:
I love the concept always have. But, 1000gp+ to go from lvl 1 to lvl 2 is way beyond excessive and there seems to be no options to tinker.
You can modify this under settings > difficulty:
x2Yg0rv.png
The elemental encounter in inn is a over the top gotcha.
Combat Maneuver Trip or Grease trivializes that encounter.

Why are the graphics worse than the original? It was passable but this is puke worthy.
If you don't like the 3D Sprites. Try tokens and see if it makes it better.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Can't believe I missed that gold per level option. I'll check out. I thought I was pretty thorough with the option stuff. Thanks.

The problem isn't tokens vs avatars. The issue is it looks worse than the original. Not like I expected it to look great going in, but at least the same if not improving on the original should be minimum. Don't care how it compares to other games.

Of course, the game had other things going for it so if those hold up, I'll get pass the subpar graphics.
Heh.

Issue is it trips me than does aoo and cleave taking out my characters who are actually a threat leaving me with a lose mage. I have gotten him down low hp do I know it us fable. I'll try tripping him though I find the abilityto trip an ele a silly concept. :D

Thanks for the gold level info. That gets rid of one my top 5 major pet peeves I had. Still don't know how I missed it... :shakes head:

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>Issue is it trips me than does aoo and cleave taking out my characters who are actually a threat leaving me with a lose mage. I have gotten him down low hp do I know it us fable.

Yeah. The earth elemental encounter is a hard challenge for early level part. If you can't beat it. There's no shame in avoiding it though. I don't remember getting anything good from it except experience.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
>Issue is it trips me than does aoo and cleave taking out my characters who are actually a threat leaving me with a lose mage. I have gotten him down low hp do I know it us fable.

Yeah. The earth elemental encounter is a hard challenge for early level part. If you can't beat it. There's no shame in avoiding it though. I don't remember getting anything good from it except experience.
Oh, I'll beat it, I'm not so easily intimidated. Lol Like I Saud, I got it down to like 10hp. Your suggestion will likely help.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Ahhh.. that option doesnt really help me. It is either/or option. I'm all for paying to level train. I just think 1000gp+ is a tad ridiculous for lvl 1 to lvl 2. That puts me in a pickle as I love the concept. Maybe the first 3 lvls yes to no gold then yes? Will ruin module balance? Ehhh.. Thanks, anyways. Someone should suggest to Mr.dev more detailed options like 100gp per level or double each level or whatever.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>Maybe the first 3 lvls yes to no gold then yes?
Hmm. Disabling until you get to level 3 isn't a bad idea. That's a nice power spike for the early game. Unless you can meticulously min max how much gold you can squeeze from quests and encounters. It's just better to save your sanity and keep it disabled until you get to level 3.

>Will ruin module balance?
Nah. Trust me. This module will kick ur butt a lot! So its okay to get an early advantage if you need it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just started this. For the record, I played and enjoyed the original though I didn't finish.

Who the hell enjoys the original but doesn't complete it, it shorter than most cRPg and there wasn't much else to play...
I smell foul play here.

The problem isn't tokens vs avatars. The issue is it looks worse than the original. Not like I expected it to look great going in, but at least the same if not improving on the original should be minimum. Don't care how it compares to other games.

If you bothered to check or better chip in during the kickstarter, there were options to get the old great 2D animated sprites.
there is much more models here, monsters wise and Pierre didn't have the budget, hence the tokens and later 3D sprites.

If you have 50K € to spare, Pierre would be more than happy to order the 2D sprites from an artist.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I don't finish games like I used to due to various reasons For the record,I played part 1 just a few years ago. I believe I reached the underdark where you face giants. After killing dozens, I stopped and just never went back. I had fun while playing it, though.

FFS, I just spent like $60ish + on the game, and you already begging me to spend another $50 on your favorite game. FFS, You are pathetic. It isn't about sprites, it us the whole graphical package. But, I've moved on. I didn't buy the game because of graphics. Lmao

Darth Canoli

Arcane
FFS, I just spent like $60ish + on the game, and you already begging me to spend another $50 on your favorite game. FFS, You are pathetic. It isn't about sprites, it us the whole graphical package. But, I've moved on. I didn't buy the game because of graphics. Lmao

50K, meaning 50000 € not 50, I'm not the one complaining about the graphics, you are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom