Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The last section of the update is the most interesting to me.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
considering that Piere is expanding assets etc for the next campaign I would assume KotC2 manage to be a financial success for him. Nice

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
considering that Piere is expanding assets etc for the next campaign I would assume KotC2 manage to be a financial success for him. Nice
On the other hand, Pierre has never struck me as fiscally conservative, Jeff Vogel type.
Yeah, Pierre's always struck me as a: he wrote a book on economics? ... How? :lol:

I do hope this venture is a success for him though. He's made some good stuff.

Lorebrok

Educated
God this game looks like a true labor of love title. Only recently heard of it. Seeing how the game started and what it has become is truly astounding. Digging the oldschool style. Good shit. Definitely on my wish list but cant let the backlog grow too much. Feels nice having such a title as my back up for now.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Man how come the second game manages to look worse than its predecessor. I greatly appreciated the intentionally stylised look (being a reference to Dark Sun I guess?) in the first game, whereas this one took the turn for a more garish and inconsistent appearance, ending up like a jumbled mess (though it does have its charm). Also, the game graphical assets don't seem to scale properly when desktop scaling is set to values other than the default 100% - in particular, the text and UI elements end up pixelated and even deformed sometimes.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron
Man how come the second game manages to look worse than its predecessor. I greatly appreciated the intentionally stylised look (being a reference to Dark Sun I guess?) in the first game, whereas this one took the turn for a more garish and inconsistent appearance, ending up like a jumbled mess (though it does have its charm). Also, the game graphical assets don't seem to scale properly when desktop scaling is set to values other than the default 100% - in particular, the text and UI elements end up pixelated and even deformed sometimes.
As far as I know, he's always just purchased either art packs or art services from freelancers as needed. He's not much of an artistic fellow (which I sympathize with) and can be stubborn so you can end up with stuff that looks more or less like dog shit. I don't think anyone goes to Pierre's games for art design though anyway, it's sort of a trade off for what you get. You can find pretty pictures in the latest Bioware release. :P

Maybe someone who's artistically inclined will make some sort of graphics replacement mod down the line, but I wouldn't hold my breath either way.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
mediocrepoet I had zero objections to how the first game looked, but in KoTC 2 dev apparently decided to do his own thing, and it came out worse. Not that it's that big of a hurdle for me, of course, but it's just strange. Why couldn't he preserve the original style, it suited the game so well. Maybe it's somehow related to modability.

mediocrepoet

Patron
mediocrepoet I had zero objections to how the first game looked, but in KoTC 2 dev apparently decided to do his own thing, and it came out worse. Not that it's that big of a hurdle for me, of course, but it's just strange. Why couldn't he preserve the original style, it suited the game so well. Maybe it's somehow related to modability.
There's an answer to this, people were bugging him about it before release, I just don't recall what he said about it. Eventually he put the KotC1 sprites into KotC2, but then it looks even weirder imo because you get a mixture of those guys and other art. Like I say though, as far as I recall, he didn't make them himself.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
KotC 2 was designed initially using token to play like some virtual table top. Then people complained and he started to add KotC1 sprites and I guess he also buy some licensed sprites for the rest of the game because actually doing KotC 1 sprites for all new stuff in KotC 2 is probably going to be very expensive.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't like tokens at first, but since the sprites are so bad, I just forced myself to make the switch, and by the end, I didn't even notice them. I strongly recommend just using them as you'll get used to them shortly.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Ok, after 8 hours I've finally created my party, now it's time to select the difficulty level and start the game at last. Judging by the descriptions, Very Hard is actually the normal level (no advantages for player, no disadvantages for enemies)?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I suggest playing the second most difficult one - don't remember the name (hard?). It's difficult but reasonably so. We had several discussion on that subject here, there is no consensus but the game can be a masochist's dream on hardest level. Still, the hardest one now was the basic = only difficulty at first and is the closest to p&p. Because of that "purists" think it is the only "correct" one to play. I think the game is better balanced for the second hardest one - at least for first play-through. Ymmv.

Only 8 hours? :smug:

Covenant

Savant
For what it's worth I'm playing the second hardest (Enchanter) difficulty on my playthrough and it seems well-balanced. I'd want more experience with higher level spells (and forewarning of later encounters) before going up to the hardest setting.

Still having fun with it, though I'm encountering enough bugs that I'm surprised I didn't see more mention of them here. The latest was that a few of the spell scroll choices from the crones seem to not actually give you a scroll (Fly and Mass Hideous Laughter, for example, as well as all of the level 9 druid spells I tried), which justifies my impending slaughter of them far more than a detect evil reading ever could.

Last edited:

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I suggest playing the second most difficult one - don't remember the name (hard?). It's difficult but reasonably so. We had several discussion on that subject here, there is no consensus but the game can be a masochist's dream on hardest level. Still, the hardest one now was the basic = only difficulty at first and is the closest to p&p. Because of that "purists" think it is the only "correct" one to play. I think the game is better balanced for the second hardest one - at least for first play-through. Ymmv.

How does the difficulty compare to KotC 1?

mediocrepoet

Patron

I haven't played it since he's been nerfing everything, but earlier on it was significantly harder than KOTC1. Assuming you could progress through the bugs anyway.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron

I haven't played it since he's been nerfing everything, but earlier on it was significantly harder than KOTC1. Assuming you could progress through the bugs anyway.
I'd say 1 was a fun challenge but definitely not punishing.

mediocrepoet

Patron

I didn't find KotC1 to be overly challenging up until the final optional event. That kicked my ass.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I didn't find KotC1 to be overly challenging up until the final optional event. That kicked my ass.
I have a confession to make. I never won the optional battle. On my single full playthrough i had a party of 2 knights/1 mage/1 cleric. With a party like that that battle would require too much reloads... i tried. If i replay fully Kotc 1 one day i'll go 0 or 1 knight and do it.
Anyone beat it with a melee heavy setup?

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron

I have a confession to make. I never won the optional battle. On my single full playthrough i had a party of 2 knights/1 mage/1 cleric. With a party like that that battle would require too much reloads... i tried. If i replay fully Kotc 1 one day i'll go 0 or 1 knight and do it.
Anyone beat it with a melee heavy setup?
I also didn't with 2 knights 1 mage and cleric.

Mortmal

Arcane
KotC 2 was designed initially using token to play like some virtual table top. Then people complained and he started to add KotC1 sprites and I guess he also buy some licensed sprites for the rest of the game because actually doing KotC 1 sprites for all new stuff in KotC 2 is probably going to be very expensive.
No one asked for sprites, and you can tell with ease, as there's only on the codex that people speak about this game. Complaints were about the art used on them being absolutely awful and still is. The isometric and sprites really arent that bad , but a waste of time instead of using 2D classic artstyle , even generating itself with AI would give good results.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I think sprites look serviceable in the prologue (and the "tutorial" too). It was created with sprites in mind. Most of the game is not so tokens are better. What I'm saying is that the problem is not with sprites or tokens or 2D. All are ugly but they all could have worked anyway. The problem is inconsistency. Pierre should have never changed his mind in the middle of development. Choosing one and sticking to it was the way to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom