Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Knights of the Old republic 2 Patch version

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
so, since i only have the german version, i not removed a copy of the english one. but now i have no idea which patch to use, that for the US version or those for the european. so how the fuck do i find that out? alternatively, can i just play the restored content mod without it, or are just too many important things fixed with the patch to make that a bad idea?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You want the restored content mod, definitely.

I would suggest just pirating the North American version, would save the hassle.

Gord

Arcane
I think I have the german version, too.
Pretty sure I didn't install an US patch.
But whatever I did, I never had problems with the restored content mod (except for the few bugs it had at the time).

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
i think i got it. version i loaded was apperantly the US version.

the previousl 2 times i tried installing i just forgot to install it in admin and compatiblity mode, and ran into this strange bug where instead of loading the level it sometimes would throw me back into the main menu.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I am very wary of playing a game for the first time with any kind of mod installed. That said everyone seems to say with KOTOR2 you have to.

I wouldn't know, personally. I found KOTOR1 to be boring as shit and not even Obsidian fanboy tingles have motivated me to install 2 yet.

Deleted member 7219

Play through the first time with the official patches installed. Go here: http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/kotor2int.html Select your version, remember you need to install 1.0a and then 1.0b

There are HQ music and HQ video patches available too, just do a Google search.

The restored content mod should ideally be played on your second playthrough, at least in my opinion.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
there is no reason to play without the mod. unless you want to know just how much crap was cut.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I am very wary of playing a game for the first time with any kind of mod installed. That said everyone seems to say with KOTOR2 you have to.

I wouldn't know, personally. I found KOTOR1 to be boring as shit and not even Obsidian fanboy tingles have motivated me to install 2 yet.
I don't, the restoration mod adds a bunch of shitty combat/fan-fiction. Adding horrible content makes it a net loss imo, better to just read about what was cut to make the story coherent rather than subjecting yourself to playing it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't, the restoration mod adds a bunch of shitty combat/fan-fiction. Adding horrible content makes it a net loss imo, better to just read about what was cut to make the story coherent rather than subjecting yourself to playing it.
It's true the execution is lacking in parts, namely the droid factory with its boring filler combat (controlling only 1 character in KotOR = pain) as well as the escape sequence at the end of Nar Shaddaa, but the smaller stuff like side-quests, restored dialogues, restored interactions with companions (like training them), etc. are all pretty cool and worth putting up with the few things that were not really well implemented.

I'm not sure about the "fan fiction" part though, other than the droid factory itself pretty much everything else was planned to be in the game more or less as-implemented.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wish this thread would stop coming to the top. Every time I see it, the curve of the "O" in Old makes me think it's a thread for Knights of the Chalice 2 and I get excited. Do you know how painful that is?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not sure about the "fan fiction" part though, other than the droid factory itself pretty much everything else was planned to be in the game more or less as-implemented.
"Planned" doesn't necessarily mean "written out in full." There's also the possibility/probability that some of those things were cut because of quality concerns.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
ok, yeah. i can see it now. i played it once with gizkas leaked beta thing, but the new one adds a ton of new exciting filler combat.

on nar shadda, for example, the part were you play as party members got expanded, and made even more shit.now i got to play as atton, mira and t3whatever, three of my favorite characters. no wait, i'm lying, because playing primarily ranged characters in this game is tedious as fuck especially if you didn't bother upgrading their equipment. now i can watch those fucks exchange blaster fire with gand and other alien scum for a few minutes while occasionally clicking on the "activate shield" button.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Instead of playing KOTOR 2 you should read this Let's Play of it:

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

It'll be a better experience and you'll see why this buggy, broken game with shit combat has a determined group of followers here.

You know, in fact you should re-read that LP every three years; it's that good and it's always good to remember. The LP covers all the (good) cut content, connects all the dots for you, talks about such small, yet important things as inflections and camera angles and generally does a more thorough job of showing you the scope of KOTOR 2 than playing the game does. And I say that as someone who has played it ~4 times.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
is that the jedi jesus: revenge of the akimbo blaster lp? was pretty good. though i had prefered a "smart" dark side playthrough.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
"Planned" doesn't necessarily mean "written out in full." There's also the possibility/probability that some of those things were cut because of quality concerns.

There seems to be this idea amongst modders that more content is always better, or that cut content was always supposed to be included.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is this possible to back general Vaklu and spare the Master Kawar in restoration mod? IRC this was not possible in Vanilla. http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/ is great playthrough and done by light Jedi path I seldom take but if you have time try to beat the game itself, it is much better and RPG than ME3 I had missfortune to try lately... Almost one hour long intro... Jersey shore... Emotionally engaged.... :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom