Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Known World - Dead Gods hear no pray (CYOA) - "frozen"

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chapter 1
Destroying bars

You feel your head becoming hollow, and you know that you have won. You take a deep breath and smile to the celling above you. And then you hear whispers from the hole in a nearby wall.

-Hey, girl... are you alive? - a voice behind the wall is harsh and it certainly belongs to a man. - I hope so. Don't you dare die on me!

- I'm alright, Regreh. - you respond, looking at the little hole. - But I think we should start digging our way out of here. Now.

- What do you mean, girl? - the voice of Regreh, a dwarf, was a bit... worried. Well, he had good reasons. You are sure one of them was your screaming.

- Something is trying to get inside our minds, dwarf. It almost got me there. I'm sure of it. - you sighs as he yells to others.

- She is alive! But I think something happened to her...

- Well, at least she stopped screaming. - A female voice. Filled with sarcasm.

- Must you always be so cold, bitch? - A male voice, of an older man. He is probably a bit... angry.

- Can you two stop and maybe ask sir Mertelsson what ma'am soulless is talking about? - another male voice, younger. Calm, too calm.

- Eh, may Gods have mercy on her cursed soul. - A female voice. Hard as steel. But then Regreh spoke again.

- Are you sure there was something? Maybe it was just your ima... - you interrupt him, annoyed. You speak louder so that everyone could heard you.

- Listen to me, Regreh. Something tried to get inside my mind and wipe my memories, and probably not just that. It is possible that it is the reason why we have been locked away for such a long time. It fucked with me strongly enough to almost win, and the only thing that saved me was that I've lived so long and I've been trained in resisting mindbreaking magic. - You are tired. That was a long fight. - If we don't get out of here soon we will probably fail. And then everybody can hang themselves as that'll be their only chance for peace. Do you understand? - a moment of silence. And then, a responce.

- If you are right, then we really are doomed. We already tried to escape, but those doors are too tough even for me. And you, no offense, are rather less strong then I am. - Regreh Mertelsson, son of Merel, one of your companions in those dark times. He was the first person tp talk to you after your appearance in this cell that became your home for the last year. At first, you didn't tell him anything, but as time passed, you decided that it can't harm to talk with him.

You know a bit from his past - he was a part of a large dwarven clan hailing from their old world. He himself was too young to remember it, but he had much knowledge about it. He described himself as 'a warrior, a gourmet of booze and a tough motherfucker'. It was really hard to tell how he really was unless you spent much time with him. Under a mask of wag and behind a large black beard (at least he said that his beard was black), he really is a good man. Caring, friendly and what's most important, loyal. He and you were - if you could say so about people locked together - the closest thing to friends around there. He is only person that knows your past here... or at least a part of it.

- Sadly, sir Metrelsson is right... we don't have a way out of here other than death. And I wouldn't choose that way. - a calm, young voice of Castor. He was a bit annoying at first, yet this was not due to his character, but rather his way of thinking. His mind was cold, rational and fast. You have never heard him yell or speak in a tone other then the one he talks in now - calm, nice and respectful.

You heard him mumbling in his sleep, many times. Wizard spells. Incantations. Calculations. From what he told people, he was a student of magic arts from Vin-Libre University. Last class of specialization - however he never told which specialization that was. Rather then speaking about his work, he preferred to talk about what happened around him. Most of your talks with him were about the Night of Falling Stars - he was really interesed in how you survived it. Can you trust him? Probably not. As he himself said - "We don't know each other, we didn't even really see each other. How could you trust me? Or I trust you?"

- Oh ho hoh. Good to hear that our Godkiller lady is talking crazy shit again. Escape? How! We tried everything. I know how to open damn locks... and I don't see any on THOSE doors... - Silvana, the person that you probably hated most out of those that were locked with you. She didn't speak much about herself, but you know a bit anyway.

She was rather young for a thief with a very good reputation, but she earned it. You heard about her work, and what you heard and whom you heard it from was enough to impress you. Breaking into the house of a member of the Council of Guilds was one thing. Kicking him in the balls and stealing his best sword from his own hands was another. You still don't understand how someone so... reckless and with such an irritating character is alive after a stunt like that, but this means one thing - she is good... or at least lucky.

- Dead Gods, this again! Can't you shut up for a damn moment?! - an old voice belongs to Dambarg Silbarum. He was Silvana's nemesis, and their everlasting word battles probably were one of the few things that kept you sane in this place - that, and talking with Regreh. You know that they met here for the first time... and that it was a hate at first sight.

He is a hunter, and from what he says, he is good one. But his prey weren't just animals, but rather people that deserved punishment. In other words, he was a bounty hunter. A man of a many words and many, many deaths. You didn't exactly hear about his great hunts, but you heard his name and you know he has a solid reputation in that field. And he is probably the second and the last person that you... well... you can say that you like. He was about 50 years old - one of those people that had more power in their bodies and minds at an old age than one would think they should have.

Maybe he had a bit too much of that power, as he was trying to flirt with you everytime you and him spoke.

- May you stop arguing for once? - a cold voice struck everyone with its decisive tone. Lanine. A paladin of Dead Gods... well, maybe not a paladin. Gods were dead for two hundred years, so paladins didn't exist anymore. But she prefered to be called that.

You didn't speak to her much, because of a very simple reason. She hated you. And she had her reasons - in her eyes you were the one who killed her beloved gods. From what she told others you knew that she was a member of one of those sects from the South Kingdoms. More than that? Well, you knew nothing. It was all you have learned from listening to her or hearing her comment on other people's stories.

Then, another two voices joined the conversation.

- I am trying to sleep there. - An elven voice was filled with cold and annoyance. You didn't know anything about him, exluding that he was here first. He didn't even tell his name to anyone... or at least, if anyone knew it, they didn't see fit to share.

The other voice was not so calm. You recognized it. Madman, everybody called him. He was only screaming things about 'the dark hidden beneath'. Nothing more.

But this time, he did.

- They are coming.

And then an explosion blew away the front wall of your cell.

Explosion sends you flying right into a wall. Pain hits you as you fall into darkness...

You wake up a while after that... You sigh, as luck seems to have saved you once again. A chunk of the cell wall lies right next to your head. You look around, looking for other people, but all you is smoke and weird white forcefields in the place where the front wall once stood. Weird runes and lines all around it instantly confirm your suspicions - the walls weren't the only thing that you were locked behind.

You try standing up, but something pushes you back on the floor. The elf. You almost can't see him in the smoke, but one thing is clearly visible - his eyes, blue, almost like lights in the darkness.

- HEY! GET AWAY FROM HER, YOU POINTY EARS SHIT! - Regreh screams and charges at him, but he raises his hands and steps back.

- Wait, dwarf. She said herself that something tried to get in her mind... we can't be sure if she is still the same person.

- Bullshit! I know her... I mean, I know a thing or two about her, but those things made me sure that if there is a person I can trust there, she is that person. - the dwarf almost loses his temper again as he takes one of the bricks in his hands and aims at something in the smoke.

- Well, there is a way to confirm that... ask her something everybody around here knows and that she already told us about... her name. The name that she gave us. - you look at him, suprised... well, at a place where he is supposed to be.

- Uh... girl. Remind us...

1 What is your name?
a) I told you my real name - Rega van Lier'ze. (It is your real character's name, and the name of your family in Vin'Libre.
b) I didn't tell you my birth name... but the name that I have made for myself. - Freeform name for you.
c) Ha! Nice try, dwarf. I never told you my name... but my codename instead. - Freeform codename as a spy.

Regreh looks at you for a moment and smiles. He turns to look at the elf as he finally becomes visible in the smoke. The elf looks back at him, but he isn't smiling. His eyes stay cold.

- ... Fine. Correct. I remember it well. Now, we must get out of here as luck has finally smiled on us. - he looks at the corridor filled with smoke. - Is anyone still alive out there?! - he yells. - Maybe someone from the cells in front of us?

For a moment, you hear only silence... and you sigh with relief when you heard a cough and a response.

- All of us are alive... ma'am Silvana is hurt, however... her leg is broken. I think. - Castor's voice is still calm, but you hear a bit of nervousness in it. And then more replies come.

- YOU THINK?! Aght! Fucking bricks! Help me, for Gods sake! - ther thief was in her ussual mood, it seems.

- Don't move. - the paladin's voce. So she is alive, too. - Damn it. A broken ankle.

The elf nods to himself as he looks at you and Regreh.

- So everybody is... wait. Madman. - he looks at the other side of the corridor again - Is Madman alive?

Castor is helpful as usuall. - Yes, sir... elf. He is. However, most of his cell is still intact... I can't see him, but I hear his whispers.

Blue Eyes - as you call him for now... why? Because it is easier then just calling him 'elf' all the time - mutters something and looks at the young wizard. The holes in their cells are big enough that you could ride a horse through it, same as yours. The hole in the celling, however, is covered with yet another magical field... you can't see a thing.

- You are a wizard, yes? Can you get us out of there, now, when those shields are finally visible?

- Sir, I don't think so... those aren't shields, by the way... these are fields, probably of high... - he almost start a lecture but the elf intterupts him.

- 'Sir', I don't want to hear their specifications, but what you can DO with them, instead. - Castor looks at the elf, and for a moment you think he will respond in a different way... but he remains unperturbed.

- I can touch them. That is all. - he shrugs. - Those are way beyond my level of magical fields knowledge... I can say three things about them, however. They don't let people in the corridor hear or see us, these are the reason why we didn't need food or drinks... - he points at the weird, purple lines on the fields, - and if you want to break through them, I suggest you dig a tunnel... it would be faster.

Regreh curses. You understand it too well, as dwarves have a tradition of cursing in almost twenty words... and that was a friendly way of crusing... you saw a book once, filled with a single sentence... it was longest insult in their language (at least that was what Regreh told you). However, this one was just a normal equivalent of 'Oh, for fuck's sake'.

And then, the doors at the end of the corridor fly away. With guard on them, too. He hits the wall at the other end of it and doesn't move.

Multiple people run into the corridor, fighting each other. It is hard to say who the attackers are, but you could easly see who was trying to get out alive - prison guards, in their purple armors and helmets. And from what you see, they are losing.

One of them falls on his knees as his comrade loses his head when one of attackers swings his giant axe.

- Mercy! I beg you, mer-! - his voice is silenced with but a single move.

The man with an axe looks around, but he doesn't appear to see you. His voice is harsh and commanding. He is a man that has given orders to people for a long, long time.

- Open the passage. We must hurry. - Two of his men go to the end of the corridor and one of them whispers something. Almost instantly, the walls disappear, opening a way down... They run into the passage as the Axe Man turns to the rest of his soldiers. - Mozdak, Nirm, Morrow. You stay with me. The rest of you, clean the way for us.

Two soldiers that got into the passage come back... with another person. Black clothes and a hooded cloak make the person underneath disappear and almost blend in with darkness and smoke. That - person? creature? - is barely walking... but that's not the thing that makes you shiver as it looks at you. Wait, looks at you?!

It signals to the soldiers that help it walk to stop.

- Why didn't you help them get out, Samer? - the voice of the hooded thing was... weird. You couldn't tell it if was a men or woman... or even what it was. Samer, the man with an axe, looked around, surprised. Then creature laughed. - Oh, ho. I forgot. Sometimes I'm really foolish... - it moves its hands fast, too fast to see the gestures it makes. A flash of light blinds you as you hear a weird, cracking sound, almost like that of breaking glass. When your eyes start working again, you don't see a field - or a shield, whatever - anymore.

- Let's move, now. - The creature pushes one of soldiers, but suddenly stops. It moves towards the doors to Madman's cell and touches it. The doors opens.

Madman screams fill the corridor.
- NO, DON'T GET CLOSE TO ME! PLEASE, I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. PLEAAAAASEEEE!!! - the screams are soon silenced. The hooded person gets out of his cell, now walking like a normal person, but you could easly tell that it was still very weak.

- Get the man out of that cell and carry him with us. - It looks at Silvana. - Her, too. She can't walk... - it turns its eyes on the whole group now as you gather in the corridor - You can go with us... or try to get out by yourself. Whatever you decide, good luck. - It nods at his soldiers and they do as he ordered.

You take a weapon off one of the guards' corpses and look at the others... It is time to choose.

2 You must make your way out of this damn hole. What will you do?
A) You will go with the creature's forces. It is much safer then going alone or in a small group, after all, they seem to know the prison well. They knew exactly where the hooded creature will be.
A1 - You will try to convice everyone to go with you. (If you will have to)
A2 - You will choose some people to go with you/or go by yourself. (Freeform)
B) You will try to get to the prison armory first. You once heard one of guards talk about the place where every prisoner's equipment is stored after capture. It is supposed to be in another wing, which lies in the opposite direction from the one that the creature went in.
B1 - You will try to convice everyone to go with you.
B2 - You will choose some people to go with you/or go by yourself. (Freeform)
C) Try to find as many prisoners as you can to create a group big enough to fight with prison guards. This may be dangerous, but the more of you escape, the more people you will have to fight enemies with... and they might be powerful, as the magic that guarded your cells is not easy to come by.
C1 - As above
C2 - As above, but freeform again.

Time to vote - 24 hours. Good luck, prisoners.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
1: c: weaver

2: B2 if we succeed with C does it mean we get to the armory too(B)? if yes, then 2C1, else 2B1

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
2: if we succeed with C does it mean we get to the armory too(B)? if yes, then 2C1, else 2B1

2 - Hard to say. It is probably possible (there always is a way), but everything depends on your choices and sometimes on your luck in rolls. However, you would rather follow Creature soldiers (but not staying with them) and free as many people you could. Why? Well, in most prisons wards with cells and wards with guard rooms/armory are on the other site of prison and you must ask yourself if it is wise to free that many people then run all way back and get your weapons... time is important there. (No, you can't die in prologue, so you are safe now... but you can be harmed)

Nevill Jester Smashing Axe Grimgravy Azira Baltika9 - just tagging you up. Hope it isn't an problem.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Thanks for the tag. I was waiting for the rest of the update before voting. I wasn't expecting it to be stealthy.

Name vote
x - whatever is fine
B2 - only the people smart enough to come without convincing.

asxetos

Augur
To the armory then. also switching to grimgravy's suggestion to ask for anyone who is willing.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Two hours left to close voting! (may close it a bit later, if someone wants to vote, but can't right now)

We are going to get treave thread soon... Right?... Right... :negative:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Better get to voting then.

1C. Weaver. A spymaster would never give away her real name, especially after a disaster like ours.
B2. Regreh for sure, Dambarg as muscle, and maybe Castor, if he is willing.

Nevill Jester Smashing Axe Grimgravy Azira Baltika9 - just tagging you up. Hope it isn't an problem.
I didn't receive your tag, and I guess others might have not, too. Might have to do with editing tags into an existing post, not sure. :?

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Emm i didn't receive tag i think.

Either way. Can we ask what was taken from people here? Is there anything worth of risking death?

1)C good enough: Weaver
2)A2 people she likes.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Emm i didn't receive tag i think.

Either way. Can we ask what was taken from people here? Is there anything worth of risking death?

1)C good enough: Weaver
2)A2 people she likes.

About things taken from people - depends who you ask. Regreh told you he had his whole eqiupment there, with his battleaxe, armor, money and supplies. Dambarg told you that he have his favourite bow there, real deal, masterpiece of woodwork so he will probably come with you too. Other things can be replaced for him. Castor mutters something about his works there, but nothing else then that. Others remain silent or just say that it is standard thing like weapon and other shit + gold.

EDIT - Oh yes, and your whole eqiupment is there + your book with contacts and other things, coded. You remember most of it, but it is worth checking.
EDIT2 - Oh, and you have only weapon of soldiers that died next to your cells. Standard longsword. As clothes - just some rags.

Nevill

Arcane
I bet the mage has something special in there, too. :roll:

I suppose that's why I want to take Regreh and Dambarg - they would be far more useful and far less fragile when equipped, and they are our primary means of defense for now.

Going with the hooded figure would be much wiser (it looks friendly, as far as one can be considered such in a place like this), with many more bodies to get between us and pointy things, but where's the fun in that? Besides, there is a chance that the creature will command all of the guards' attention, seeing how easily its bodyguards dispose of them. That might be our opportunity to sneak in somewhere we are not supposed to be, like a proper Spymaster should. :obviously:

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Ok, gonna make voting longer for one more hour, maybe Azira or someone else will want to vote.
I almost forget to tag Kz3r0 , he/she voted before so maybe he/she will vote.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
You may see that some of parts of Chapter 0 disappeared. I'm merging them into one post + editing title post to similar way as Fangshi. (With links for updates and things like like that)
Work in progress.

EDIT - Voting Closed.

Results:

1 You are Spymaster, so you must have codename... Weaver was good enough for you.
2 You decided to visit armory to get your old things back. You will take people that will want to go with you, but will try to get mostly three persons - Regreh, Dumbarg and Castor (bonus?)

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Chapter 2
Like rats

You look at your group of companions in those dark corridors and sigh. You feel that once you speak everyone will burst into an argument about your idea, but that is just to be expected... after all, you don't even know each other like normal people should.

- We should go to the armory... I mean, I want to go there. Our equipment, armors, supplies... Food probably won't a problem, we can't be far from where we were captured, but we will need our things if we want to get out ali-... - you tried to finish, but Blue Eyes interrupted you.

- We don't need any of those things. We have an entire group of soliders that just told us we can come with them. I don't intend to lose my head to our kidnappers five minutes after I finally got out of my cell. - his voice is filled with irritation. He turns away and starts running after the Creature's group.

Lanine looks at you. Cold, cold eyes. Then she looks at the rest of the group and speaks:

- I must ensure those people don't harm our... companions... I just can't leave them when they can't even protect themselves... even if one of them is a thief and another is a madman. Good luck, whatever you will do. - after that she turn away and follows the elf. Your sigh and look at Regreh, Dambarg and Castor.

- What about you?

- Haha, girl! Don't even ask me! I'm going with you, whether you want it or not. - The dwarf smiles at you and you smile back... you like him. The ranger also nods and responds.

- I want to get one thing back from those fuckers... other shit doesn't matter. I only hope they didn't break her. - he mutters as he takes another sword into his hands, dual wielding them.

Castor remains silent for a moment and then sighs.

- I don't know if it is a good idea, ma'am. I don't have anything there, except for my works. They can be replaced... my life can't. But I think I can't just let you go alone into the darkness of this keep without a little touch of magic. - he smiles a bit and nods. You also nod to everyone and start moving.

You don't have much time, after all... the Creature's party may serve as a decoy, but it will only take a few minutes until the guards resume patrolling the keep.

Flames and steel took their toll this day. You haven't seen so many bodies in a long time - from both sides, prisoners and guards alike - you still don't understand how come you didn't hear the sounds of battle in your cell.

- Damn... looks like they really wanted to kill each other. What the hell is that place? Why are there so many people trapped here? - Regreh looks at his weapon and frowns. - I prefer axes. I hope mine is still there.

You don't respond... instead, you examine the new corridor you walked into... it is clean, very clean - compared to the other ones, of course - and look inside one of the cells... Now that's unusual. Prison cells, so close to guards' rooms? You suddenly jump back as someone's hand almost grabs your throat.

- Help us! For Gods' sake, help us! - an old man, with a long beard and grey hair almost screams as he reaches for you. - I BEG YOU!

- Who, for the sake of Dead Gods, are you? - Dambarg looks at the man and aims a sword at him - Better be quick, or we will just leave you there.

- We are a group of wizards from one of the circles... I mean, magic schools! We were locked here for Dead Gods know how long! Some people told us that there was a riot in the prison, but they didn't want to let us out! Damn... little... maggots! - the voice of a 'wizard' almost breaks as he tries to talk to you. - Please, release us! Destroy the sigils on the doors and we will just go our way! Please!

You look at him and answer.

- I know what a magic circle is, old man. Now, let me decide...

Whatever you decided, you moved further.

***​

The corridors near the armory were empty. Nobody remained in this part of prison, which meant the riot probably was big enough to make every guard join the fight with the prisoners. You and your companions were lucky. It was a smile of fate.

That the doors to the armory were locked, however, was not.

- Damn it! Did they really leave it locked when they were in the middle of a fight?! It's the damn armory, they should have access to it! - Regreh hits steel doors with his sword and mutters something, probably another curse.

- Well, this just proves they can think. Their problem is that they have the enemy INSIDE the keep. - you sigh. - At least we can be sure that nobody got their hands on our things... but we need to open these fucking doors, somehow. Now, - you look at Castor, - any ideas?

The young mage looks at the doors and nods.

- I can try to burn through. But I will need some time.

- Well, you can start now. - Dambarg brandishes his swords as he looks into one of corridors. - We have company. Get ready to fight, dwarf! And you too, girl. Protect him!

Enemies pour through from both sides, and attack almost immediately. And your group answers in kind. Regreh kills the first one with a fast jab to the throat, but gains an small cut on his forehead in return. Dambarg slashes through the armor of another solider. Your agile moves end another man's life when you cut his throat.

Meanwhile Castor is whispering something, and after a while it is starting to work, with the metal lock becoming red from heat. However, this wasn't the time to look at his magic, as more and more enemies continue to arrive. Too many, for your taste. Now, instead of fighting three soldiers from every side, you are forced to fight five. Well, four. Another one tastes Regreh's sword, stabbed right in the gut.

- Damn it! Too many of them! - Dambarg yell almost drowns in a metalic 'clang' when he hits enemy shield. He jumps back to get away from enemy reach, standing next to Regreh now. - We may handle those, but we are fucked if they get reinforcements.

You were rather busy at this time, fighting two enemies at once almost next to the young mage. Two others were forced to back off deeper into the corridor, to leave their comrades place to maneuver. One of your opponents is already bleeding as you cut his leg. It wasn't a serious wound, but in the middle of combat any disadvantage can become deadly. The other jumps out of your range and hollers at the two that aren't fighting.

- We need more people, damn! Go, get more! - his voice is replaced by gasping and chugging when Regreh charges right into him, piercing him with the sword. You quickly look at the ranger, but he is fine. In your mind you thank yourself for inviting him to go with you... you don't want to think what could have happened if you were here alone or with just Regreh... However, the situation still looks bad. And it starts looking even worse when yet another group of enemies comes out from your side of the corridor.

- Oh, shit! - you yell. - We need get the fuck out of he... - again, your are interrupted by someone. This time, however, it is Castor. His always calm voice is louder then usual. And he is speaking much faster... He is... singing?! No... this is an incantation. He picks up a speck of earth from a dirty floor and blows on it, scattering it in the direction of the new enemy group.

Oh mighty iron,
Oh mighty steel,
take your heat back,
like on anvil!

The corridor fills with screams of soldiers and a smell of burned meat. Helmets, armors and swords become red, almost like the lock from before. The guards try to take off their helmets, pulling them off with their own skin... you already saw what magic can do, but it didn't make it easier... there is a difference between a death by the sword and a death by being roasted inside your own armor.

In the meantime, Dambarg finishes off the last two soliders on his side of the corridor.

- Gods... So this is your 'specialization', son? - Regreh leans on his sword, looking an the burned corpses. - I must admit, this is something... - Castor looks away, trying to hide his eyes from you. You hear sobbing... how young is he? His voice is broken and tearful.

- I... I didn't want to... But it was the only way... Oh Gods... I never... killed a man before. - he sits on the floor, hidding his face in his hands. Regreh pats his shoulder.

- Pull yourself together, boy... It is like this - us or them. Now, get up. - he grabs his hand and helps him get back on his feet. - Let's get into this damn armory... - the dwarf kicks the doors, and the lock, already weakened by the heat, breaks. You enter and look around...

It is full of weapons and crates. Hundreds of them... how big is this damn prison? It didn't take long before you found your knife... or rather, a knife-like machete. Not very big, but long enough to pass for a short sword... still, you prefer calling it a knife.

- Here you are, my dear! - you hear Dambarg's voice and look at him. He holds an impressive looking longbow in his hands, checking the bowstring. You see Regreh and Castor on the other side of the room, getting dressed in armors. Regreh is putting a plate on, while Castor, still sniffing, is fighting with a leather armor. It is noticeable that he never wore armor before in his entire life... well. He can be useful in other ways.

You search the crates and armorstands, looking for your clothes, and you finally find them... time to get changed. It took a while, but you finally have your equipment back. You finally feel like you are yourself again. You are also very sure that someone was looking when you were dressing up... and if you had to guess, judging by who flirted with you most... well. That wasn't much of a mystery.

It would be nice to have some normal clothes under the armor, instead of rags, but this isn't the time to be picky.

Something else draws your attention. On the table, near the entrance, lie a bunch of items:
- A sword, with a large gem in the rain-guard. It has a weird shape (almost like it should be a part of something larger) and is made from an unknown metal... at least, unknown to you.
- A necklace, with a little stone in the middle. The stone shines with a green, weak light... looking at it makes your feel bad.
- Two rings, each with a rune on it. In dwarven. You don't know dwarwen runes too well, as those are one of their most sacred secrets, (at least part of them, magical, of course) but you think you know these ones. One rune means 'Know your potential' while the other is probably another part of this sentence - 'but feel your limits'.
- A bag full of little blue orbs.
- A weird, metal circlular object, with a hole in the middle.

You want to tell others about what you have found, but suddenly, an explosion rocks the keep. The floor shakes under your feet as you fall to the ground, as does everyone else. You hear the walls starting to crumble.

- RUN! THE WHOLE PLACE IS FALLING ON OUR HEADS! - Regreh gets on his feet and runs to the doors! Castor and Dambarg do the same, however, your gaze is still drawn to the table... all those items are in your reach, but you know you don't have the time to grab them all... you choose one and run towards the exit, just in time to escape death as the celling collapses on the floor, leaving a giant hole in the keep walls.

- Gods! What the fuck is happe... OH SHIT! - you get down as fireball almost hits you in the face. Smoke and dust are quickly blown away by wind, revealing a plaza in the middle of the fortress... now, a battlefield. Dozens of people fight with a big group of prison guards. For a moment, you see a hooded figure in a mob, along with its group. From what you can see from your current location, they are losing. You see only two soliders from the group that freed you. Next to them, the paladin and the elf are trying to get alive from that hellhole... Before you even have a chance to say anything, you feel someone's hand pushing you, making you run down the pile of stones. You curse as you hear the dwarf laugh and see Castor, Dambarg and Regreh running next to you.

- Regreh, you damn moron! I will kick you in arse for this! - you yell as you jump on the ground, safe... for now. Regreh jumps next to you, looking around and waving his axe above his head, laughing.

- We must help our saviors, my dear! I'm sorry, but this is a dwarven debt! - he runs towards the group of enemies attacking the Creature's party. You growl and curse under your nose, but you don't have any other way out now... you must slash your way to the exit.

Blue Eyes slashes one of enemy soliders in the back, with a cruel smile on his face. You shiver as you kill another enemy in your way. Your assault has suprised the enemy - they didn't expected to be attacked by someone from behind, and in full gear, too. The hooded figure touches ground and yells something that you do not understand.

A part of a stone road crumbles into little stones. And those, in turn, transform into a staff. The Creature grabs the staff, swings and hits two nearby men. You hear only muffled screams when both of them are sent into the air and land on the ground, ten steps away.

- Haha! - its laugh makes you shiver even more. An empty sound with no feelings, but it still was a laugh, somehow. - I hope you like what you brought on yourself. I told you to give up! - it twirls its weapon, too fast to count how many times. Some of the enemy soldiers turn back and start fleeing towards the steel gate.

The prison itself was built in a shape of a hexagon. There was only one way out - if you do not count climbing the 20 feet walls, of course. Steel gates were big enough that a whole siedge tower could get through. You knew only of one place in the Free Lands that fit the description - the Ravenhord prison. But it was supposed to be empty and ruined for about 20 years now... what the hell is happening in this place?

Meantime, the rest of your team has dealt with those soliders and prisoners that tried to harm either your or the hooded creature's groups. Most of those who were smart enough have backed off, leaving you in the middle of the place, in the very center of the hexagon. You look at your 'companions' and the Creature's soliders... most of them are hurt, with the exception of those who came here with you. Samer, the man with a giant axe, still carries Madman over his shoulder, while Silvana is carried by one of the two surviving soliders you recognized. You also see new people, a group of prisoners - about 5 people in total, all armed... you know that if anyone attacks you right now, most of you will die. But maybe they won't... after all, nobody wants to end like the two poor enemies that dared come close to the Creature's staff.

However, the situation changes once more. A large group of people with crossbows and spells at the ready appear on the walls above the gate, where your group was slowly moving to. They are not prisoners, but they aren't guards either... they wear red armors and blue robes.

Samer looks at them and his words preety much sum your situation up.

- Well it seems they got large fucking reinforcements... - he tighten his grip on the axe... and on Madman. The Creature slowly moves next to him and whispers something. You can hear its words, thank to your skills.

- I will faint soon. You must carry me... I don't have enough power to deal with the ones at the gates and remain standing... Too much time spent fighting their influence in the Caves. - Samer nods in responce, and the Creature moves forward... slowly, at first. Then it starts running faster. Faster. Faster. People on the wall scream, shooting their bolts and spells, but they are too slow. It jumps and launches its staff into the air, above the enemies.

And then, the staff explodes. A thousand little stones, sharp as a shrapnel in dwarven glass bombs, hit them from above, killing and wounding many. Some are lucky to be far enough to escape the blast, but they weren't the Creature's target. Still in the air, it screams something, and Samer puts Madman on the ground. Beams of purple light hit the gates, appearing from the figure's hands.

And then the metal around the hinges crumbles. The gates fall on the ground, with a terrible, loud 'CLANG'.

The Creature hits the ground at the same time the gates do. Running towards the Creature, Samer yells to you.

- RUN! RUN NOW! WHILE THEY ARE STILL CONFUSED! - you didn't need to hear it twice. You never ran so fast before, trying to get out of the place where you were forced to stay for a year. It was for the first time. And the last, you promise to yourself.

Samer quickly grabs the Creature in his hands, almost as if it had no weight, like a newborn baby. The hood is still hiding its face, but the darkness underneath isn't so impervious this time. You swear that you could see a silhouette of its face. But you didn't have time to gawk.

You finally were outside the gates. Sounds of the forest and fresh air outside the walls make you feel like a newborn woman. People behind you cheer and congratulate themselves - or remain silent, running towards freedom...

However, for many of them, that promise of freedom was the last thing in their lives.

The ground shakes again, and this time, cracks appear in it. One opens right under you, growing bigger and bigger. Many people fall on their knees or flat to the ground. A purple light comes from under the cracks... But it wasn't light.

It was fire. You feel someone pulling you back, probably Regreh, he was just next to you there...

But whom did you pull? Everybody you knew were in your range. Everybody from your group...

Whom did you choose? Whom did you...

...save?

You try to remember, but the only memory that comes to you is the explosion. And then, darkness.

Time to vote...

1. Wizards locked in cells looked like they really would remain trapped there without you... but what did you do? Did you free them, despite the risk of begin caugh while destroying the sigils? But who knows, maybe they got out alive from that hell hole?
Who knows...
a) You left them to their fate.
b) You let them out, but make them promise you that they will be in their debt and they will give you the name of their circle.
c) You freed them and didn't ask for anything in exchange. It wasn't the right place and time for that.

2. Items on the table were all very interesting... but you were forced to choose. You risked you life for one of them, when you didn't even know what it can do, but what did you choose?

3. Ground cracked under your legs, releasing fire and explosions. You had to choose whom you have pulled, but it all happened in a second. You pulled two of your companions together with yourself, probably saving their lives. (Pick two. Regreh isn't an option, he was probably the one who pulled you. If you pulled Sil or Madman, you also pulled the soldiers that carried them)
a)Dambarg
b)Castor
c)Blue Eyes
d)Silvana
e)Lanine
f)Madman

Time for voting - 24 hours!

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
1) b

2) Two rings

3) a + b. We will have a balanced party. The rest are all dying for sure?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
3) a + b. We will have a balanced party. The rest are all dying for sure?

Who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now seriously - I can't tell you if they will die or they will be alive. It is base of that choice. Questions about lore? GIVE ME IT! ASK ABOUT IT, MY PRECIOUS! About characters? Depends if you will ask me or if you ask them (please point it, as yes, in chapter 3 there will be option to do that. And probably all way to final chapter... fuck. It is important element of all of it. You get most of your knowledge from talking about other characters. Get into Nev/Myth mode on that thing).

But choices... also depends. If it is choice like that - 'they will be alive after that?' - I can't just respond you, at least not straight.

Soooo... Some may die, some may live. It depends on their rolls, luck and your choice. Characters that you pull are just excluded from rolling on that matter. I hope this answer is good enough.

EDIT - by the way, 3 days will be standard time waiting for updates. Around 3 days, not longer if this isn't big chapter, of course. Next one will be mostly talking, asking (your job) and deciding about your future, so it may be longer one.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
1) B
2) rings
3) A B

madman and thief probably have smaller chances of escaping death.

Nevill

Arcane
- I know what is a magic circle, old man.
What is a magic circle, and how different is it from a magic school? WHy did the man feel the need to correct himself?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom