Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns

So I finally went back and beat Brood War (last couple of Zerg missions tried my patience, and I abused save/reload like a bitch in the finale vs the 3 fleets), and I've kind of got my RTS vibe thrumming again. Randomly I seem to recall hearing... OKish things about Kohan, and was wondering if the codex remembered it, and if so, was it worth a play through? Anything novel or particularly memorable about it?

Panthera

Scholar
Yes, definitely play it. It's not like any other RTS you've played. It's practically a 4x game. It was one of the first games, if not the first to organize your infantry into squads, except that the squads are customizable with formations and march orders.

Durwyn

Prophet
Yep, great game. Play it. Kohan 2 is not bad too, but it's more traditional Warcraft-like RTS.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
actually now that you mention it i'm going to install it again...

Turok

Erudite
That game was really good, play it, is a nice game you will not regret it.

Ashery

Prophet
The game is meant to be multiplayer, but the community has largely died off, sadly.

And while the second Kohan game (KKoW) is a bit more forgiving than KIS/KAG, it certainly isn't a more traditional RTS. It *looks* like War3, but it certainly doesn't play like it.

One of the main differences between the two games is that KIS/KAG allows you to settle new towns anywhere, while KKoW forces you to use predefined settlespots. Might not seem like much of a difference to people not familiar with the series, but that was one of the dividing points of the community.

The campaigns for both games are rather meh and, at least for KKoW, the campaign actually can hinder your development as a player due to bad habits you develop since the campaign never really mimics real multiplayer situations. For an actual challenge, play some of the SAI's on hard or impossible in a 1v1 skirmish.

Some novel/memorable features:

Of the five resources, only gold accumulates. The other four (Stone, wood, iron, mana) are used purely for upkeep. If you're producing excess mana, for instance, it's completely wasted. If you fall up short in production, for each mana in the red you are, you lose 5 gold per minute.

Units are formed up into customizable squads that have bonuses based upon different types of units assigned to'em (In KKoW, for instance, if you stick pikemen in the flank slot, the entire company will get cav foe (+5 attack vs cavalry)).

Resupplying troops only takes time, not gold. This doesn't mean you should pointlessly engage your troops, however, as if you lose a battle badly enough (Even if you don't lose a single company), you're completely fucked...provided your opponent realizes this and presses his advantage.

Company experience is huge.

As is flanking (Even though there aren't any direct bonuses for flanking ala TW series). The difference between a competent player and a good one is their ability to flank.

No micromanagement akin to SC/WC3/etc. Once engaged, your troops are out of your control beyond retreat/rout commands. Which is why there's really only one hotkey that I'd suggest one learn (for KKoW): Alt. It's the hotkey for run/retreat. That's not to say the game is boring/you'll never be overwhelmed...KKoW is probably one of the most tiring games I've played. Multiple fronts. Watching for a flanking force. Cycling out troops so that you don't lose the company. Responding to enemy raiding forces (A small force able to take out a town's militia, but not much more). And so on...

Probably more that I'm missing.

Unfortunately, RTS games don't make for good LP material or I'd do one in an instant.

I didnt like Kohan at all,
its a 'spam' game where you have to be fast on the mouse to capture the enemy villages and do a 'clickfest' to churn out warriors from captured villages as the computer captures villages that you are not paying attention to.

Rubbish game man!

Ashery

Prophet
Slenkar said:
its a 'spam' game where you have to be fast on the mouse to capture the enemy villages and do a 'clickfest' to churn out warriors from captured villages as the computer captures villages that you are not paying attention to.

Rubbish game man!

Are we playing the same game? ;p

flushfire

Augur
Slenkar said:

Rubbish game man!
butthurt detector going haywire

i wast too slow on the mouse and the computer overwhelmed me, the game was less about strategy and more about speed,

well thats my story and im stickin to it

Andhaira

Arcane
It was a good game, though sadly underapreciated by the mainstream. Also, it was not the first game to feature squads; the first strategy game to do that was Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Ashery

Prophet
Slenkar said:
i wast too slow on the mouse and the computer overwhelmed me, the game was less about strategy and more about speed,

well thats my story and im stickin to it

Dude, unless you don't play any other rts games at all, I have no idea how the game can come off as being too fast. Unless you were playing on the smallest possible map with no lairs, you shouldn't even have contact with one of the default ai's for a good eight to ten minutes.

There are times when it gets hectic, but that's 30+ minutes into a 4v4 game with other people.

And Andhaira, I'm sure the game wasn't the first to use squads, but the mechanics behind the squads certainly seemed unique to me at the time.

hmm, ill have to give it another go, this was 5 years ago i think

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom