Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KOTOR Mod: Something stupid this way comes

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Here is the mod overview

Knights of the Old Republic: Ancient Empires is set 5 years after the fall of the star forge. You play Revan once again except you are a Jedi Knight of the Jedi Order. Bastilla is in your party of course as well as HK-47, Mission, Canderous, Yuthura and a few new party members as well such as Chemix, Jedi Master Pascal Neder, Exar Kun and a powerful Force Spirit. It starts out on Dantooine and the plot carries you through 12 worlds including Coruscant, Hoth, The Leviathan, The Galaxy Forge, The Dark Forge, Rakash, Mannan, Korriban, Dantooine, Kashyyk, Yavin IV, and the Ebon Hawk. . As you play through the game, you get many opportunities to turn to the darkside and redeem yourself back to the lightside. The entire game will consit of 6 main quests at which all of them will have different PC's, storylines and will take place at different times. One for instance, is Sith Lords: The Darkest Age. IN this main quest, you play Ajunta Pall during the time of his corruption some 3000 years before Kotor. You will have an all dark lord party and will also see some characters such as Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos, and Tulak Horde. But, in the end, all the main quests are tied in together. When yhour PC finishes all of the quests, an uber jedi class called CHOSEN ONE is unlocked. this class gives you pretty much maxed out stats. After you become chosen one, you can play through a main quest called The Star Wars: The Chosen One must Choose. In this quest, the setting takes place 1000years after Kotor. You are a decendant of Revan and Bastilla and fght in a war between civilixations which have constructed their own star forges.
Uber Jedi class CHOSEN ONE!!!! The Chosen One must Choose!!! lol

And here is the discussion of this mod at the Obsidian

As some may already be aware, I'm part of a team working on a rather large KotOR mod, that is slated to be released before KotOR 2. Now, one or two of the members want to tweak the engine to where it has some FPS and swordfighting elements, more like Jedi Knight. I think this is a bad idea, and if we're going to have it as a KotOR mod, it should be turn based like KotOR. Just thought I'd post a poll here to see what everyone thinks.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh shit! Shoot me in the foot and call me a one legged cripple this mod sounds totally awful. it was all sounding a bit fine and all till they got to the part about the Galaxy Forge, the Dark Forge and the freaking Chosen One with MAXED OUT STATS. I don't have anything adverse against Chosen Ones of the usual variety but this one really takes the stupid cake, eats it, licks its fingers once its done and then asks for seconds.

Anonymous

hahahah, how stupid.

How did the 'chosen one' become as such, without anyone to teach him?

DemonKing

Arcane
I wonder how these monkeys are going to possibly create a decent mod with additional characters, double the number of worlds to visit, a seperate "uber" sub-campaign, and reworked combat ala Jedi Academy, *and* still get it out before KOTOR 2. Sounds like a case of Pie in the Sky to me...they'd be better off trying something a little less ambitious first methinks.

"The Chosen One must Choose" rocks though...although I guess he would always choose himself though, otherwise he wouldn't be the Chosen One anymore... :roll:

Hawkwing74

Liturgist
DemonKing said:
I wonder how these monkeys are going to possibly create a decent mod with additional characters, double the number of worlds to visit, a seperate "uber" sub-campaign, and reworked combat ala Jedi Academy, *and* still get it out before KOTOR 2. Sounds like a case of Pie in the Sky to me...they'd be better off trying something a little less ambitious first methinks.
Indeed, many amateur coders including myself have fallen into that trap. Wildly, wildly optimistic goals.

Voss

Erudite
I really, really hope they're 10-12 years old. It would make the whole farce somewhat excusable.

But wait, what about the Cosmic Forge? Its feeling left out. And apparently the Ebon Hawk is now a world. How neeto spiffy keen.

So, six completely seperate 'quests' with completely seperate characters? A thought: if they want to get it done this decade, pick one. Polish it (a whole hell of a lot), and maybe, maybe theres a chance.

Though I'm guessing the inevitable fight other this FPS/combat mod thing will tear the group apart as the bitchy ones sulk about how their way is the right way, and nothing ever happens.
And thus, the modding community will be saved from yet another piece of crap.

Spazmo

Erudite
I don't get it. Why fuck around with the Odyssey engine on this? Wouldn't it be a lot easier to hack d20 and dialog into the Quake III engine? Hell, it'd look and run better, too. Bunch of muppets.

suibhne

Erudite
"The Chosen One must Choose" reminds me of my favorite beer name/motto:

He-Brew: The beer the Chosen People choose.

"The Chosen one must choose."

Wouldn't that make him the Choosing One.

This bird has no wings, we will more that likely never hear from it again.

Rosh

Erudite
Paint Flakes: Breakfast of Morons

Wow...just when I thought some BG modders were bad, this is just pathetic. They should have named the class as "Munchkin" and pointed out the really obvious.

Mistress

Liturgist
Dearie me....sounds fairly ok up until the Chosen One. "The Star Wars: The Chosen One must Choose" Inspiring title!

mr. lamat

Liturgist
force spirit... I wouldn't really mind if vrook or the not-yoda guy tagged along in kotor2. not as a party member perse, but rather as a fatherly figure trying to help the pc reclaim his/her force powers. possibly helping a return to the light. as such, it'd be cool if a chinless, spooky malak did the same, only helping out on the evil tip... "c'mon, off the whiny bitch and take the credits. sith's don't do fedex."

i anticipate kotor2. this fanmod and those who created it deserve to be taken out back and shot... max'd stats are wank. chosen one's are wank. 97% of all fanmods are wank.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I doubt that fan mod ever gets made. The scope of it alone smacks of something that will take way, way too long for these people to be interested in giving. I can't picture people who think MAX STATS is cool having much of an attention span.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Update:

Force Powers:
Battle Meditation (boosts your stats and stuns your enemies)
Enhanced Force Storm (much more powerful force storm
Force Summon (you can summon beasts and stuff)
Force Destroy (obliterates all enemies)
Force Create (adds jedi items to your inventory)
Force Morph (you can change into almost any NPC ingame. Sort of like what that geno boss could do in kotor 1)
(More to come for force powers)

New Items:
Alot, most probably a curved lightsaber hilt will be added as well as some more heavy weapon models. Also some simple items like lightsabers with reasonable stats. But when you get the CHOSEN ONE class, you become ultimate in power so your lightsaber has maximum abilities.

Explaination behind the CHOSEN ONE class:
After beating the game, you get a class called CHOSEN ONE. This class maxes out your stats and makes you a jedi "god". You will get all force powers ingame as well as all feats in game. You will also get an arsenal of weapons for you. And after this, you will have the option of restarting the game except this time, enemies will have quite a bit of power too for you to have a challenge with the new class. This CHOSEN ONE class is just something that will be added for replayability and to make the game more interesting. Servant of Eru suggested a non jedi PC but I think the CHOSEN ONE class will make the game more interesting.

I think thats at least most of it. Any more info and I would be talking about the whole storyline. There will also be som background new characters (team member's custom charaters) and of course new sidequests. I will say that malak returns as a droid with a clone army which is what the dark forge is. Its a small sized star forge that can clone people as to how malak raised a clone army of those sith elites. Yes, the game originally had plans for 6 or 7 KOTOR 1 sized main quests that we might do as expansion packs to this first AE quest.

Also, you may end up with more party members mentioned as I have almost discovered a way to make it so you can take more than just 2 party members with you and how you can have more than just 9 party members.
Hopefully when you go into combat, it will be something like this. You will have your usual 3 options when you go into combat where you can choose your feats and powers for your character to do. But, there will be a fourth option that will take you to FPS style combat so that you can control the character yourself instead of just sitting back and watching him/her do the feats and powers themselves.
There will be new models of course and a new storyline. One improvement will be that you will have the option to wield two staff sabers at once. Actually, most of your enemies (Sith Elites) will be wielding two staff sabers at a time.
And also, the turret minigame is planned to be recoded so you can actually fly the ebon hawk instead of just operate the turrets to make it more interesting but Im not so sure we will get to that.
If the combat engine recoding goes as planned we will surley add multiplayer
We were also going to change around the swoop racing so that you can actually race against opponents and shoot them down and all of that instead of just trying to beat their times.
Though I havent realeased many mods, I know almost every aspect of modding and I consider myself to be a master because of it.
A master, huh?

The guy is talking out his ass, nothing will ever come of this other than a bunch of bullshit boasting about his masterful abilities. I guarantee you that when it fails he will blame the others on the project for not pulling their weight, or some legal bullshit from lucasarts and then act like a friggin martyr to everyone who ever talks about the game around him...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yep, that guy took stupidity to the whole new level. He even hints now that it may not be just a mod but a commercial product with expansions to follow.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Does this idiot know that most of what he's talking about isn't possible without editting the source code of the KotOR EXE? You can't simply tweak a few data files here and there and add FPS style combat. Likewise, you can't alter the minigames like the turret battle to allow flight simming the Ebon Hawk by editting a few files either. On the same lines.. Adding multiplayer?! HELLO, DUMBFUCK! That most CERTAINLY requires a hell of a lot of work with the source code.

DemonKing

Arcane
Force Powers:
Battle Meditation (boosts your stats and stuns your enemies)
Enhanced Force Storm (much more powerful force storm
Force Summon (you can summon beasts and stuff)
Force Destroy (obliterates all enemies)
Force Create (adds jedi items to your inventory)
Force Morph (you can change into almost any NPC ingame. Sort of like what that geno boss could do in kotor 1)

Man - one wonders how Jedi would ever get killed in the films if these powers were available to them. Anakin would never have been captured in Episode 2 if he could have just used "Force Create" to get a new lightsaber, then in the arena he could have just used "Force Summon" to get his own beasts to fight the arena ones, and after that the whole droid army would have been wiped out with one simple application of "Force Destroy".

Explaination behind the CHOSEN ONE class:
After beating the game, you get a class called CHOSEN ONE. This class maxes out your stats and makes you a jedi "god". You will get all force powers ingame as well as all feats in game. You will also get an arsenal of weapons for you. And after this, you will have the option of restarting the game except this time, enemies will have quite a bit of power too for you to have a challenge with the new class. This CHOSEN ONE class is just something that will be added for replayability and to make the game more interesting.

Yep - god-mode always makes games more interesting.

Servant of Eru suggested a non jedi PC but I think the CHOSEN ONE class will make the game more interesting.

What a loser. What the hell was this guy smoking. Doesn't he know anyone interested in Star Wars by default wants to play an uber-Jedi?

One improvement will be that you will have the option to wield two staff sabers at once. Actually, most of your enemies (Sith Elites) will be wielding two staff sabers at a time.

Of course in "realistic" mode they quite often slice off their own limbs, but if you max out all your saber stats, it won't be a problem.

Though I havent realeased many mods, I know almost every aspect of modding and I consider myself to be a master because of it.

If there are always two, a master an apprentice, and this guy is the master, I shudder to think what the apprentice's ideas are.

I hereby dub this guy Drizzt Kenobi, in honour of his dual-wielding saber staffs which are at the top of everyone's wishlist for KOTOR2.

Why the hell haven't Obsidian picked this guy up?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
Adding multiplayer?! HELLO, DUMBFUCK! That most CERTAINLY requires a hell of a lot of work with the source code.
Don't forget it's not a regular guy we're talking about here. He is a Master Modder, although one would think that you have to actually do something to become a master.

Btw, a new screen is released that shows a new area and subsequently the skills of the crew. Behold!

Edit: Damn! Their account is frozen. Well, hopefully, they will reopen soon, check it out, it's hilarious. http://www.freewebs.com/kotor15/ For now, here is an opinion of a guy who saw it "no offense but that crap is lame".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom