Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Labyrinth Of The Demon King - first-person boomer survival horror set in feudal Japan

toughasnails

Definitely looks like one of the hidden gems of this years Realms Deep.

"The World has entered The Latter Age Of The Dharma.

Society is crumbling. War has spread throughout the country. Disease and famine have killed thousands, and demons walk the very earth itself.

You are an Ashigaru, a footsoldier in the service of Lord Takeda Nobumitsu.

Deceived by a powerful demon king, your lord led his army into an ambush. All perished except for you. Against your wishes your lord sacrificed his life to aid your escape from the battle.

You have made a vow to track down the demon who betrayed your lord and end it’s life.

You take what could possibly be your final breaths on this mortal plane, and prepare yourself to enter…

The Labyrinth Of the Demon King"

Features:

• A first person survival horror inspired by classic games like as King's Field, Resident Evil and Silent Hill

• Navigate your way through a Labyrinth solving puzzles and uncovering secrets.

• Fight monsters up close with melee weapons or shoot them from afar. Be careful which method you choose as supplies are limited.

• Retro style graphics.

• Loading screen doors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

†††

Patron
Is "boomer" the official adjective for all things retro now?

Aesthetics look interdasting nonetheless, shame I don't dig horror games.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Are we really taking boomer out of the boomer shooter ghetto and just using it to describe all games inspired by PSX-era titles? I guess people are really dedicated to retro referring to games from the SNES-era and earlier...
On the game itself, looks cool. Mildly concerned about a weeb developer using Japanese characters in the title, but I did how it looks. The fog's a nice touch.

toughasnails

Looks like King's Field mixed with Kuon
He listed KF on the store page as one of his inspiration even though the game isn't a RPG. I'm getting more of Shadow tower vibes with the weird monster designs and overall mood.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They really nailed the aesthetic part, that's for certain. Now we wait for (more) gameplay.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Too spooky for me. Visuals look cool, though. Looks like the other world a bit from Silent Hill 2.

toughasnails

Yeah, I really love the visuals too. I'd put it up there with Compound Fracture as far as these games with pseudo-PSX visuals go (although Compound Fracture manages to look a bit more like an authentic PSX game).

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Reminds me of other PSX-style Japanese horror games made recently, like Aka Manto.
JDXTcOv.jpg

Though this game looks like it'll be more than an Amnesia-style running away style of game that has dominated the indie market for the last decade.

notpl

Arbiter
Reminds me of other PSX-style Japanese horror games made recently, like Aka Manto.
JDXTcOv.jpg

Though this game looks like it'll be more than an Amnesia-style running away style of game that has dominated the indie market for the last decade.
What? The trailer is like 75% combat.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
What? The trailer is like 75% combat.
That was the point I was intending to make, that this game looks more interesting than similar-looking indie horror games because it features combat and actual survival horror elements; sorry if it was unclear.

toughasnails

Looks way too blurry and pixelated. Probably gonna be a giant headache to play this so that's a hard pass for me.
I assume the trailer is using low resolution for more authentic PSX effect, I don't see why you wouldn't have choice of modern resolutions and aspect ratios in the released game (even if this is really the way the dev would prefer his game to be played).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Looks way too blurry and pixelated. Probably gonna be a giant headache to play this so that's a hard pass for me.
I assume the trailer is using low resolution for more authentic PSX effect, I don't see why you wouldn't have choice of modern resolutions and aspect ratios in the released game (even if this is really the way the dev would prefer his game to be played).
No reason you couldn't include them, but you never know. Dread Delusion also has "PSX" visual filters in the options that you can turn off to make the game more readable. I'll hope that this game has similar options.

toughasnails

The dev has a bunch of shorter videos on his own YT page. I must say I really like the look of the melee combat here.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Are we really taking boomer out of the boomer shooter ghetto and just using it to describe all games inspired by PSX-era titles? I guess people are really dedicated to retro referring to games from the SNES-era and earlier...
On the game itself, looks cool. Mildly concerned about a weeb developer using Japanese characters in the title, but I did how it looks. The fog's a nice touch.
It's either boomer or retro-fascists, choose your destiny wisely.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's either boomer or retro-fascists, choose your destiny wisely.
This is the Codex, if fascism is an option, we will take it.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Boomers grew up playing Pong which was the only game available at the time, Zoomers and Newfags need to rope for being chronologically illiterate. If you want to call them "Gen X" games that at least would be more accurate but would not sound any less retarded.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Boomer is a very restrictive term, retro-fascist games sounds better and it covers the whole age spectrum.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I think that they should re-do the FPP player melee animations.
  • Too slow
  • Too smooth and synthetic / fake [robotic looking / too few key frames]
    (This is from lack of motion capture, but animations don't have to be motion captured to be good and convincing.)
  • Lack of perceived force / power
I think a bit of weighted screen shake and/or minor camera rotation during the strikes might improve the melee attacks a bit; especially at or near the moments of impact.

Last edited:

Spike

Educated
Just discovered this from the YouTube channel Dungeon Chills. Looks rad. WL'd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom