Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Touhou Labyrinth of Touhou: Hardcore PC dungeon-crawler - See OP for links etc.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Codex review of LoT 1 and 2 by Suicidal: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10759

======

Note:

There are basically two versions of the game that you might want to play. If you don't care for the Rebirth project (see below), you probably want to play v3.01, which includes the additional 10 dungeon floors known as "Special Disk" (an expansion for the most dedicated of players, basically). If you want to play Rebirth, or simply don't care for the additional (all too grindy) floors, v2.04 is what you need.

Buying the game (JPN) as digital download:
The best way to get the game is to buy the original Japanese version and then apply the English translation patch. You can buy Labyrinth of Touhou 2 (~$16) and 1 (~$9 -- includes the Special Disk) as digital download by following Niektory's instructions:

Buying Labyrinth of Touhou 2 (and 1) or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Moonrunes

Downloadable version of LoT2 can be bought from Melonbooks or DLsite for ¥1,944 (around 16 USD).

http://www.melonbooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=IT0000165852
http://www.dlsite.com/home/work/=/product_id/RJ118525.html

We'll go with Melonbooks.

13862.png

You might want to grab Labyrinth of Touhou 1 as well (¥1,080, around 9 USD):
http://www.melonbooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=IT0000131417

13861.png

13866.png

13868.png

13859.png

You should get a confirmation e-mail. Follow the link in the e-mail. Afterwards fill in your account details:

13857.png

13864.png

English to Katakana Converter can help you with the phonetic name. Not that it matters.

Confirm the next two pages by pressing the green buttons. You should now be logged in on the main page.

13858.png

13867.png

13863.png

13865.png

Click the yellow button on the next page to confirm the payment.

You can download the game(s) on the following page. Later you can access your downloads on http://www.melonbooks.com/index.php?main_page=account_history

13860.png
I hope it's useful.

Download links
- Fonts you might need for the game to run properly: download
- ENG patch for JPN v3.01 (i.e. for the JPN version which includes the Special Disk -- which you can buy by following Niektory's instructions above): download
- JPN v2.00 (original + Plus Disk, without Special Disk): http://www.mediafire.com/download/shnqcpywstsx9l3/LoT_JPN_v2.0.zip (mirror)
- JPN patch from v2.00 to v2.04: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mzdgl54mxmi/thLabyrinth_ver2.04.zip (mirror)
- JPN v2.04 pre-patched (original + Plus Disk): http://doujinstyle.com/?p=2060 (disregard it saying that it includes the Special Disk, it does not)
- ENG patch for JPN v2.04 (use on top of JPN v2.04, duh): download
- JPN patch to v3.0: download
- JPN patch to v3.1: download
(Not sure if you'll ever need the last two patches, but I have included them just in case.)

Other Labyrinth of Touhou 1 & 2 threads:
- Thread for "Labyrinth of Touhou - Rebirth," a fan-made mod for LoT1 based on v2.04: www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/labyrinth-of-touhou-rebirth-fan-mod-for-lot.96116/
- Thread for Labyrinth of Touhou 2: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ouhou-2-full-beta-translation-released.93645/

====

Looking for a good new dungeon crawler to play? Look no further!

Labyrinth of Touhou is a hardcore -- as in, brutal -- doujin (i.e., indie) japanese turn-based RPG/dungeon crawler for PC. It's quite challenging -- but not grind-ey if you play it in a smart way -- definitely more challenging than Etrian Odyssey, which is what this game is usually (not entirely correctly) compared to, and loads of fun. It's also extremely abstract, being all about numbers and party customization, the only downside being the typical wapanese anime art style.

If you can get past that, however, the game has a lot to offer. You navigate a multi-level dungeon, represented as simply a network of corridors with special symbols for "events", and fight in random and scripted encounters, during which the game switches to first person, meaning it's basically a blobber. It is, however, a very good blobber, with some fairly complex dungeons and a lot of skills, equipment items, and attributes to explore.

There are 40 player characters in toto, but you're supposed to build a team of 12 characters chosen from among those, with 4 of them active and 8 in reserve. Apart from the usual increase in a character's stats on a level-up, you also can collect and spend Skill points on fine-tuning a character with amazing results, a process in which a lot depends on this particular character's natural strengths and weaknesses. For each character, you must -- as in, bye-bye if you don't -- find out a role he or she will best fulfill in the party, depending on the overall composition of your party as well as your play style. There's no saving and no resurrection inside the dungeon, there're no healing items, only abilities requiring a lot of Spell points -- and healing spells are extremely rare so that you can't rely on them too thoughtlessly -- and there are many parameters you totally must take into account, such as a character's TP (basically the amount of time the character can spend inside a dungeon before going back to the base), a character's elemental affinities and resistances (there are six elements, which can be of vital importance in a battle), status effects (some of which are *very* nasty) and affliction resistances, as well as the usual things like Speed (the battle system is action gauge-based, so that if your characters' speed is not high enough or you can't find a way to reduce the enemy's speed, the party may get spammed to death by certain bosses), physical and magic defense, etc. The characters are very frail, and a couple of hits may more often than not kill them, especially in tougher encounters. You can actually switch characters in-battle, but that won't help you if you approach a tough encounter carelessly, and you're probably going to lose some progress, too. Positioning matters, as exposing a character with low defense to an enemy's attacks means certain one-hit death, and a character's death may often spell death for the entire party. So, in any case, prepare to die. A lot.

Overall, I've become really addicted to this game in the last few days, and you should, too. Despite being a blobber, it has much more strategy in it than most RPGs these days, or any days actually. Also, surprisingly enough, it has been pretty well-balanced so far, so that if you lose, you tend to feel like that's your own fault, not the game's.
:incline:

And that ends my rant. Anyone played this game? If you have, feel free to share your impressions.

P.S. And yes, you can actually google this game, and there's an English translation. In fact, the latest English patch can be found by googling Touhou Labyrinth Special Disc 3.01 English patched, or something along those lines. Have fun.
P.P.S. I hope Black Cat will have something to add if she's still reading these boards, as she's much more knowledgeable about this game than I am. She even promised to do an LP once, if I'm not mistaken. :roll:

Last edited:

MMXI

Arcane
Being an old-schoolfag, I'm sure that this game is better than the shit we get from western developers. However, this isn't the JRPG Codex.

:rpgcodex:

Also, I don't play games with this kind of graphics.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's fully customizable, so it isn't a JRPG in the usual sense of the word. In fact, it's even less of a JRPG than, say, any Wizardry game. ;)

It's just a very, very good dungeon crawler. If graphics or art style are that important to you, well, your loss, as it's definitely one of the best recent RPGs. And it's actually on PC, for a change.

made

Arcane
In before GG.

But hell, I'll have a look at it if I can find a torrent. You were right about EO after all. Though this looks even more cutesy-anime style. :S

MMXI

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
In fact, it's even less of a JRPG than, say, any Wizardry game. ;)
You and I are going to have a little falling out.

Crooked Bee said:
It's just a very, very good dungeon crawler. If graphics or art style are that important to you, well, your loss, as it's definitely one of the best recent RPGs. And it's actually on PC, for a change.
I don't give a fuck about graphical quality. Most games I play are from the 80s and early 90s anyway. I do, however, have a problem with having to stare at drawings of 10 year old girls all day.

Though, every art style has its audience. This one's probably for paedophiles. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Why does japgames always have that crappy bug-eyed triangle face art style... :(

Why cant the look like some manga I have read, where characters are drawn like human beings?

Crooked Bee

Patron
MMXI said:
Though, every art style has its audience.

What about those who don't care about art style at all and only care about gameplay? Why must one have a strong preference for or against a certain art style in a freakin' video game? I don't really like the anime artstyle, and I haven't enjoyed a single anime movie in my life, and yet I find the game fantastic for the simple reason that the gameplay is of very high quality.

If one wants oneself some art, one should visit an art gallery or something.

made said:
But hell, I'll have a look at it if I can find a torrent. You were right about EO after all. Though this looks even more cutesy-anime style. :S

Just ignore the plot and dialogues and concentrate on fighting, and you'll be fine. ;)

MMXI said:
I don't give a fuck about graphical quality. Most games I play are from the 80s and early 90s anyway. I do, however, have a problem with having to stare at drawings of 10 year old girls all day.

Unless you usually play at a college dorm with people constantly looking over your shoulder, I don't see the problem. Your cat isn't gonna judge you as long as you keep giving him food and shelter.

MMXI

Arcane
My first post was in jest, anyway. I don't want to derail the thread. However, it's worth noting that I believe a lack of graphics is better than bad graphics. For example, if this game had graphics like below, I would possibly give it a try.

6jowsh.gif

Carry on. Don't mind me!

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
:thumbsup:

I don't know who the hell any of them are apart from visual recognition due to having been on 4chan for some period though, how the hell are you supposed to choose from the roster of 40?

Dyskolos

Cipher
Goddammit. I love the spirit of the thing so far but its burning my eyes and I feel I might accidentally hit the tentacle rape key any moment. I don't suppose there's any way to replace the portraits?

Crooked Bee

Patron
sgc_meltdown said:
how the hell are you supposed to choose from the roster of 40?

The way you usually do in RPGs, you know, by comparing their stats and abilities, thinking about the combat roles they may have in your party, as well as depending on the enemies' strengths/weaknesses in this particular part of this particular dungeon. ;) Each of them can be useful in particular situations and roles, in fact, which also should, hopefully, make room for some replayability.

Also, in New Game+ they're all unlocked right from the start, so you may really build your party in any way you want.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
sgc_meltdown said:
:thumbsup:

I don't know who the hell any of them are apart from visual recognition due to having been on 4chan for some period though, how the hell are you supposed to choose from the roster of 40?

Obviously you pick your favorite waifu.

Jokes aside, I haven't tried the game out yet, so thank you for reminding me, OP.
I'm gonna kick this game's ass by creating a party of stage 6 and extra stage bosses from the game! Brilliant!

Micmu

Magister
jesus christ yet another nice topic title just to get blasted with jap crap >9000HP anime shit in my face when I clicked it.

Someone stop the fucking weeaboos already.

MMXI

Arcane
I haven't even played it (and have no intention to) but it's already obvious to me that it's a better RPG than The Witcher 2, Alpha Protocol, Dragon Age II and whatever else people most often talk about in here. I just wish we had western developers making statistics heavy blob crawlers.

lightbane

Arcane
Hmm, a good dungeon-crawler? In English? Very interesting, I may try it after I finish Divinity 2.

By the way, is it a true rpg (as in: does it feature C&C? Several endings? Tutorials? Romances?) :M

MMXI

Arcane
lightbane said:
By the way, is it a true rpg (as in: does it feature C&C? Several endings? Tutorials? Romances?) :M
:x

I am very angry with you, lightbane.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
lightbane said:
does it feature C&C? Several endings? Tutorials? Romances?)

I'm sure you already have several gigs of supplemental adult fan graphic novel dlc already

when you lose a character just pick one bad end story at random and read that one

choices and consequences

PorkaMorka

Arcane
The problem with this particular art style is that if you were to die suddenly and your parents had to clean up your apartment and they found out you were playing this they'd assume you were some kind of horrible pervert and be ashamed forever.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Excidium said:
Why does japgames always have that crappy bug-eyed triangle face art style... :(

Why cant the look like some manga I have read, where characters are drawn like human beings?

Because the guy who drew the first popular anime character liked Donald Duck.

DonaldAstro.jpg

The problem with this particular art style is that if you were to die suddenly and your parents had to clean up your apartment and they found out you were playing this they'd assume you were some kind of horrible pervert and be ashamed forever.

Bro, you might want to stop posting on the codex then. :lol:

As to the game itself, I'll probably give it a try. The art is bad though. I don't particularly care about the style or subject matter, but the composition is awful, the lines are a mess and the colours are too bright and clashing. There are games using EGA graphics that would sear my eyes less.

Stabwound

Arcane
I came across this game about a year ago, and promptly forgot what it was called and couldn't find it again. Thanks for that, anyway.

Anyway, this game is anime as FUCK. It's like playing Sailor Moon in RPG form. I think my eyes got more slanted just from playing for the 10 minutes that I tried it for. It isn't just the art style; it's the entire game and characters. I fully expect and understand that a lot of people wouldn't want to play it just because of the anime bullshit.

Having said that, this is clearly more of a hardcore RPG than almost anything mainstream on the PC in the past 10 years, including Witcher 2. :smug:

Someone mentioned alternate character portraits, and there actually are some, but they're even more anime than the default ones, which I was surprised was even possible.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
DamnedRegistrations said:
Excidium said:

Because the guy who drew the first popular anime character liked Donald Duck.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll32 ... dAstro.jpg
Heh, it's ironic that this is the manga I was referring to:
29mowtj.jpg

Stabwound said:
I think my eyes got more slanted just from playing for the 10 minutes that I tried it for.
:lol:

The Dude

Liturgist
Looks interesting. I was weeaboo-ish in my childhood (Srsly, american cartoons were shit compared to the likes of Robotech and Silver Fang.) and teens and don't really mind the graphic style at all. Any phat lewt?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom