Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lambdarogue 1.1 out

Calis

Pensionado
Tags: LambdaRogue

Mario wrote in to <A HREF="http://lambdarogue.net/dl-showentry.php?n=62" target="_blank">announce he's got a new version of his postcardware Roguelike out</A>. It's got less bugs and more graphics for all you narrowminded Asciiphobic cunts out there.
<br>
<br>

elander_

Arbiter
It's better to have a choice. Personally i enjoy playing a roguelike with ascii chars as much as enjoy playing with a cook in my face.

Now you only need to add choices and consequences and dialog roleplaying to your roguelike. ;)

mariodonick

Novice
choices and consequences

I'm unsure what you mean. You have lots of choices in the game and they have consequences, but they are tactical, not story related.

dialog roleplaying to your roguelike

Actually I thought about this some minutes ago, before reading your post. Developing a dialog system for the NPCs and quests is one of the next major steps.

mariodonick

Novice
This is indeed a problem. If the game was no roguelike and the player could save everytime he wants, and there was no permanent death forcing to restart the game over and over again, complex dialogs and stories would make more sense.

This is why I plan to include a "quick accept quest" function to all quest dialogs. So instead having to choose and to read everytime, the player can just press a certain key, which skips the dialog.

Because this way the player has no influence on the consequences of his dialog choices, these are created randomly -- very roguelikish, I think.

aleph

Arcane
roguelikes with graphics :roll:
:declineoftheroguelike:

apart from that, looks quite interesting.

elander_

Arbiter
The way Diablo did quests is very good for a rogue-like. Quests are activated when certain game events happen or when you make some interesting discovery and instead of you having to hunt npcs it's those npcs who tell you about the quest and it becomes part of your journal. You don't even have to accept the quest or do anything about it if you don't want to bother with it. If you chose to do these quests you can win a "card" to play later in the game.

About dialog i think it would be interesting, for example, have an npc guard a bridge or a door (as a random encounter) and you have to talk the right way with him or use the right attitude or some previous knowledge about him (maybe one of those "cards" you got from a previous quest).

mariodonick

Novice
Aleph,

I often prefer ASCII output, too, put to introduce people to the roguelike genre, graphics work just better. To change output to ASCII, just go to the options screen. Restart the game in a terminal window (80x25) and you have a traditional output.

Elander_,

now, as you say this ... I remember how unobstrusive quests in Diablo were ... have to investigate how I could do this. However, I think the aforementioned "quick accept quest" function would perform well, too. 'Cause most quests in LambdaRogue are optional and you just don't need to talk to the NPCs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom