Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lands of Adventure: A Gold-Box Inspired CRPG

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
If anyone has any interest in old-school turn-based CRPGs, I've been working on one for about a year. I've recently created an overview video that highlights some of the things in the game and shows some gameplay elements. I'm looking for some feedback as I decide whether or not something like this is worthy of finishing or possibly even turning into a Kickstarter project.

The game is greatly influenced by old CRPGs like the SSI Gold-Box games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc.) as well as other games from that era (Wizardry, The Bard's Tale, Phantasie, etc).

You can find my blog, which includes the video, here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Also, here are some screenshots:

3D+Dungeon+exploration.jpg

Resting2.jpg

blogsheet1.jpg

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I also probably didn't mention that I'm working on releasing a demo for the game, and with any luck it will be ready for the public in about a month or so. I'm just wondering if there's an audience for this kind of game.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Sadly, most of the poster in this forum just play modern RPGs like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Halo. Definitely there's an audience for your game, it's just that because there's also the issue that most posters here can't stand old school graphics, you haven't had a good post. Have you tried RpgWatch? They seems more receptive about this kind of games.

Is the game turn based? What kind of stat system it uses? I'm going to peruse some of your blog posts later. Maybe if you post more details?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
It's definitely a turn-based CRPG in the style of old-school CRPGs like "Pool of Radiance" or "Phantasie." It uses an RPG system I developed just for this game and doesn't utilize any commercial rulesets, but fans of older RPGs will probably find that it's very familiar to them.

I wish I could build a game like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, but a programmer working on his own just doesn't have those kinds of resources. It's part of the reason I was considering making it a Kickstarter project so that I could pay people to do some great artwork and to help with the programming side of things. But, if there's not a very large audience, I can't imagine it would be worth pursuing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ProphetSword Kosmonaut is a trolling retard. Just ignore him.

There are plenty of people here who like old school cRPG's. We just like to know a bit more stuff in detail (skills, stats etc...). What type of combat exactly, the setting, classes etc instead of watching a video.

I watched a bit of the video and it looks good. I do wish it had more Gold Box style combat however (as in being able to move the party members etc..).

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Turn-based (preferably with some formation options) is way more compelling than any ME or DA game. I for one am fed up with twitchy stuff.

Definitely get some "proper" interface and environment art for a kickstarter, as people seem to invest more into pretty mock-up screens than almost complete games with "programmer graphics". I think even very old-school low resolution, but consistent and somewhat distinct art will do a lot.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I'm working on making it a Kickstarter project, for sure. My only disadvantage is that the Kickstarter funds would be used to pay for the artwork. I can't get great artwork without a great artist. So, I will have to hope that people can understand that having a solid game is more important at this point than being pretty...that part comes later.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
ProphetSword Kosmonaut is a trolling retard. Just ignore him.
:love:
I'm working on making it a Kickstarter project, for sure. My only disadvantage is that the Kickstarter funds would be used to pay for the artwork. I can't get great artwork without a great artist. So, I will have to hope that people can understand that having a solid game is more important at this point than being pretty...that part comes later.
Yeah, good luck. Unfortunately, most people that pledge on Kickstarter support the projects that looks prettier or that have some cool video/conceptual art/in-game graphics. Bunch of graphic whores, as they are called here. Keep us informed about your project, maybe you'll get a front page news about it. Also, there are people that post here with successful KS stories, you should ask them for advice.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I like the video you made Ben. You want to get it or a better one, on your Kickstarter ASAP, to prove you have done previous work.

And if your Kickstarter does not succeed, it will have little to do with graphics. I have seen games with worse graphics reach their goal. It all comes down to marketing. Here is my favorite introductory video on the subject. Hopefully it will inspire you to do further research in this area.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard from other sources that adding a video is a good idea. So, I'll probably add one while the funding is in progress.

I have one on the game's blog already. I don't know if that one would be appropriate or not.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Davaris, that video is amazing.

For anyone else who's thinking of watching it, go ahead and skip to 2:00. He literally says nothing of value before that, but it's good stuff after.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
ProphetSword
Wow, what a butthurt nancy boy. Who gives a shit what ppl say? You just need the money. The video proves you can do the gameplay, you just need money for the art. Manup and do the Kickstarter again. Make proper rewards (but don't go overboard, you need to focus on the game)

Kickstarter is basically presales. People are paying you in advance so you have money now to finish the product, when they will get their return. That's cool. Plus, if your finished game is good it will result in more sales due to word of mouth and you may even make a career out of it.

Apologies for the blunt tone, but I can't stand it when people have such thin skin. If you are ever going to put out any kind of product out there, whether for $$$ or for free, be fucking prepared for people to tear it to shreds. Look how awesome Grimrock is, but even that had people bitching about it even here on FPSCodex.

So, restart the Kickstarter. Give it a 2 month timeline, because you obviously have not advertised the game that much. Set a realistic goal (I am unaware of the amount of $$$ you need for art. I assume it's something like $20,000?)

Also, did you make the current art yourself? If so, what program did you use?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Come on man, prove them wrong!
There is always something to do with the game too so don't worry about graphics, if you have something cool, you can always find an artist later or fund it using crowdsource sites.
Don't think about money, think about getting your game in the state you would like it to be.

Indranys

Savant
Man he's gone and won't come back.
Another poor soul became a victim of goddamn graphicwhores.
Great way to ruin a day. :(

curry

Arcane
It's ok to make shitty games for free, but if you aim to get some funding, try to make it look like the graphics weren't drawn by a 9-year-old child, even if it's an "oldschool RPG"

:troll:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It's ok to make shitty games for free, but if you aim to get some funding, try to make it look like the graphics weren't drawn by a 9-year-old child, even if it's an "oldschool RPG"

:desu:
Am i the only one to think that you should go fuck yourself ?

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013

:desu:
Am i the only one to think that you should go fuck yourself ?

Don't mind curry, he's just trying to fit into the Codex MASS EFFEKT KROWD by attempting to be EDGY and HARDKORE.

Lorica

Educated
Hi, is there any chance of that demo being released? I know the Kickstarter's been withdrawn, but does that mean that development is stopped?

I'd be interested, if the demo is still a possibility.

RE: Kickstarter: Doing it with a workable demo sounds like it'd be great. If the issue people had was the artwork, being able to see the mechanics in action should be a nice rebuttal.

:(

Don't go away...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom