Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lands of Lore - the Throne of Chaos

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Damn... that attack on Yvel City was a bugfest: arrows disappearing, bows not shooting at all, bows shooting to the left or right instead of forwards, enemies in walls, invisible enemies, enemies popping out of nowhere, item duplication errors (I suddenly had 2 Jewelled Daggers), etc. And when the Horn blew to indicate the Attack on Yvel was over, enemies still spawned. The bugs were mostly gone in the Catwalk Caves though.

So I continued to the end... and as expected the last couple of levels were not enough to max out the Rogue level, even when only using only bows. I reached Rogue Level 6 only, very close to Level 7. If I grinded Exp points somewhere, I could have made it to Level 7. In combination with the Jade Necklace that would have been a maximum of Level 8. Still not max level. Maybe I should have changed the difficulty to "hard" to gain more experience? Something however tells me, that I wouldn't gain much more experience either. And why would I go through this trouble if it didn't change my most wanted feature: a continously increased Attack Rating - which didn't happen.

I should also mention, that when I had the Jade Necklace on, the Rogue Exp seemed to grow slightly slower. Usually in games only the base skill level is counted for gaining experience points, but in here I'm not 100% sure. And when this Necklace hinders the levelling progress, it would actually speak against wearing it.

Besides the Crossbow "Redemption" and "Eternity" (ignore the names, they have no special effect) turned out to be better than the Valkyrie. I could 1-2 shot most of the enemies. Many people stick with the Valkyrie until the bitter end, but the Valkyrie was definitely weaker.

After all quite a bland and disappointing experience. I can now also see more parallels with LOL2+3. They are really not that different. Especially with this Solo-run it felt very similar to Luther or Copper. In that LOL1 is even worse, because you can only equip 1 weapon, while in LOL2+3 you can equip 2 weapons (melee and ranged weapon). You can try to Solo-Run as Bacccata though, and then also have 2 weapons equipped. I guess the biggest benefit of playing it solo was, that the mouseclicking was less stressful.

P.S.: I'm actually glad having played it again and see its shortcomings. In my nostalgia I often considered to remake this game in a modern game engine (like Unity). Now I can safely ditch this idea. This game doesn't need a simple remake, but a total overhaul and re-imagination. It basically requires a whole new game. And that "one does not simply".
Makes me think of all these people who endorse a Morrowind remake... and then someday reality checks in and they find out it's much worse than they remembered.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
LoL was the first (uuuh... only?) real time blobber with heavy story elements.

Speaking of story, it is actually worth a damn. Less the plot itself but the way it is relayed throughout the game world in cutscenes and dialogue.

World building is kind of in-between, I wouldn't say the kingdom of Gladstone ever seemed functional, but the whole game has an allure somewhere between fairy-tale scope and epic aspirations.

Lots of RPG's just blank out those bits where they couldn't make the world work to the scope of the story, but at least LoL actually went there. It's kind of in a category with DivDiv in that regard.

naossano

Cipher
Damn... that attack on Yvel City was a bugfest: arrows disappearing, bows not shooting at all, bows shooting to the left or right instead of forwards, enemies in walls, invisible enemies, enemies popping out of nowhere, item duplication errors (I suddenly had 2 Jewelled Daggers), etc. And when the Horn blew to indicate the Attack on Yvel was over, enemies still spawned. The bugs were mostly gone in the Catwalk Caves though.
I replayed it last year and i don't remember experiencing all of that. Maybe i have bad memory. Maybe we had different patches\hardware.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Is it ever explained what Scotia's beef with King Richard and Gladstone is? Or is it just one of those generic "she's bad and wants to do bad things" type villains?

The manual explains a bit about the history of the world but nothing too specific about Scotia. https://www.mocagh.org/miscgame/lol-lore.pdf

is it even ever implied by anyone not a subject that Richard is Good King Richard and that Scotia is Evil Knevil Scotia?

The realm guys are prettier and Scotia is hagfaced, but other than that, you never really get to know them.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
It seems like Westwood re-used the design of Dawn for another character in Legend of Kyrandia.

81FAI1lgUoL._SL1272_.jpg

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it ever explained what Scotia's beef with King Richard and Gladstone is? Or is it just one of those generic "she's bad and wants to do bad things" type villains?

The manual explains a bit about the history of the world but nothing too specific about Scotia. https://www.mocagh.org/miscgame/lol-lore.pdf

Talk to the guy in the tavern in Yvel, he'll talk your ear off about her. The museum in the second game has some information too.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sorry to bump an old thread but I've been playing the first Lands of Lore recently and managed to get myself a boxed copy.

I missed out on this game back when it was new and only recently have gotten around to trying it, and from what I've played so far I am really enjoying it. Something that I thought was cool and wanted to share a photo of is an advertisement for the game that was ultimately to be released as Wizards & Warriors from D.W. Bradley, but from before the name changed and it was still known as Swords & Sorcery.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Now that the dust has settled...

1) Who would be the finest Champion of Gladstone? Surely not the canon furry, right?

Conrad-2.webp
Michael.webp

Kieran.webp
Ak-shel-2.webp

2) What are your thoughts on smol Dawn?

Dawn-trapped-in-ball-2.webp

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Ak'shel is muh nigga, being able to cast spark 4 at the start is nice and all the magic in LoL looks really cool.

I don't disagree. Your avatar & title makes me think you're biased though! Kobolds are not exactly known for their impartiality towards draconic races.

Incidentally, I suspect that Michael is what all gentile men looks like in the eyes of Jews. Those damn racists. :argh:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Michael and Ak'shel are the only two I could bring myself to play.
I never thought about it until just now, but for one of the best games of its kind ever made, it definitely doesn't offer likeable choices for your dude.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hate to bring you bad news but the cat lad has the highest attack speed - a stat you can never improve in the game.

So even though he starts out by far the worst, he'll eventually scale better than anyone else and hit enemies much more often in the end of the game, and due to this, deal the best damage.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Actually I think that's probably fake news and I am just trying to make him feel less than terrible. In theory it's true, but in practice late game enemies have damage resistance, meaning you'd rather hit them once with 100 might than twice with 50.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Michael and Ak'shel are the only two I could bring myself to play.
I never thought about it until just now, but for one of the best games of its kind ever made, it definitely doesn't offer likeable choices for your dude.
Out of curiosity, what did you find so unlikeable about Conrad that you couldn't bring yourself to play him?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Out of curiosity, what did you find so unlikeable about Conrad that you couldn't bring yourself to play him?
Well, two things mostly, one being that I tend to avoid making characters or taking premade ones that aren't specialized in some capacity, and the other being that I just really dislike his face. Not that any of them are particularly pleasing to rest your eyes upon, but his I find especially disagreeable. But ultimately I prefer to play a specialized character because it is feels more appropriate and helps to strengthen their personality, if one is even presented throughout a game. A character who has no strengths or weaknesses and isn't committed to mastering whichever of the martial or magical arts are available feels to me like a person with no direction, with no identifiable sense of self. There are exceptions of course but they happen in much more complex systems, like take the Bard for instance who will never connect attacks as well as a Fighter, nor attain 9th level arcane spells like a Mage, but who compensates with a unique set of songs that are inaccessible to any other class. And multiclassing is similarly another matter; a generalist is not necessarily a polymath.

Kedar

Educated
Well, two things mostly, one being that I tend to avoid making characters or taking premade ones that aren't specialized in some capacity, and the other being that I just really dislike his face. Not that any of them are particularly pleasing to rest your eyes upon, but his I find especially disagreeable.
I bet you loved Luther in LoL2 though.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Truth be told I've not ever played it. I have it on GOG and on my LaunchBox as options to download, but I can't stand to see that guys face on the cover (assuming this is Luther?) amidst all the gorgeous cover art of my other games so I never install it. I'm not opposed to trying it if it has some merit because Westwood produced some of my favorite games, but from what little I know it doesn't seem much like the first game?

Kedar

Educated
Truth be told I've not ever played it. I have it on GOG and on my LaunchBox as options to download, but I can't stand to see that guys face on the cover (assuming this is Luther?) amidst all the gorgeous cover art of my other games so I never install it. I'm not opposed to trying it if it has some merit because Westwood produced some of my favorite games, but from what little I know it doesn't seem much like the first game?
I was mostly kidding, because Luther is the only character to play as and his face is just as plain as Conrad's, but to be frank, his voice and attitude grew on me.

LoL2 features 360° movement and verticality so it's definitely much different than the original, but I enjoyed it a lot back in the day. The exploration's pretty entertaining and there's a lot of secrets to discover.

The concept is that you play as Scotia's son and due to a botched Nether Mask transfer, you are cursed to transform into different forms, namely a giant beast or a small and quick lizard. All of the forms have different abilities in gameplay and while t the start they happen randomly, in time you learn to control them.

Being Scotia's son, you are torn between good and evil and it's really fun to be bad. You even get to fight and kill some important characters from the first game if you choose the dark path.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I just saw on GOG there's a Lands of Lore 3. I never even played 2, and wanted to do that. But do you know anything about 3? It's 100% under my radar.

Kedar

Educated
I just saw on GOG there's a Lands of Lore 3. I never even played 2, and wanted to do that. But do you know anything about 3? It's 100% under my radar.
Yeah, I liked it a lot too, but I think I preferred 2 in the end. You also have a single character in 3, a half-Dracoid, and you can specialize him as warrior, rogue or mage. You also pick a familiar which is kind of like a second party member. Once chosen, the familiar stays with you for the whole game, which is cool for replayability I guess.

The city of Gladstone is your central hub and you can actually explore it whole this time. From there, you visit a succession of self-contained, relatively linear worlds, including the Command & Conquer universe of all things.

Storywise, it actually ties up most of the loose ends from the previous two games and serves as a legitimate conclusion.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned

I didn't care much for it. There's goofy immersion-breaking stuff, like crossing into the C&C universe and exploring a Nod base, fighting robots etc.

Arbiter

Scholar

I didn't care much for it. There's goofy immersion-breaking stuff, like crossing into the C&C universe and exploring a Nod base, fighting robots etc.

Is it an easter egg or a mandatory part of the game?

Arbiter

Scholar
I played Lands of Lore as a kid but gave up in the tower level where my party was continuously attacked by the ghost serpent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom