Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lantern Hunters – Rimworld x Kingdom Death Monster (total conversion mod)

LanternFriend

Barely Literate
I've made something unusual. It's a total conversion mod for Rimworld based off of tabletop RPG Kingdom Death Monster. I'm not sure how much interest there will be in this, but I felt compelled to register here and post about it. I believe it should be considered an RPG (yes, yes, what is an RPG?), and wanted to see if I could find anyone interested to give player feedback.

Now, you might be thinking that Rimworld's combat system is in no way capable of supporting CRPG gameplay, and you'd be right. That's why I rewrote the entire combat system based off of the tabletop game's rule set. I've included features that CRPG players would expect a game to have including:

• Round based combat (RTwP)
  • Buff/Debuff system
  • XP and Level up
  • Active abilities
  • Larger than 1 tile hit-boxes and reach weapons
  • RPG style gear

I've also created a custom AI based off the tabletop game, which should provide a good level of difficulty. It also uses Damage calculations, and disorder systems based on KDM.

Other noteworthy features:

• Completely overhauled artwork
  • KDM equipment and crafting system
  • Rimworld style base management, but with KMD buildings
  • Hunt for monsters on the over-world map, complete with random hunt events

Currently, only available on steam workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2866414675

Check out the workshop page for more information, and a getting started guide link. As a mod, it is of course, free. Here is a preview of what the game looks like:

ABBD7D1B264A95B2D4BDDA78B189722A658D1DB2

Note: If you don't know how to play Rimworld, this is not a good introduction.

The Mod is called Lantern Hunters, and is currently at alpha 0.88. It is in a good condition to play, and has most of what it will have at completion, only lacking a few enemy types, events, biomes, and the final boss / ending. I might also write a devblog later about the difficulties and pitfalls of adapting the turn based mechanics to RTwP if there is any interest in hearing about it. Also, I picked the worse time ever to release this, as there was a new DLC for Rimworld announced a week after I uploaded this to the steam workshop.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I saw your mod on the Ludeon forums a week ago and was wondering what it was about, so I looked up the tabletop game thanks to that. Nice coincidence seeing you posting here.

LanternFriend

Barely Literate
I saw your mod on the Ludeon forums a week ago and was wondering what it was about, so I looked up the tabletop game thanks to that. Nice coincidence seeing you posting here.
Yeah, it's hard to see if there is any traffic coming from the Ludeon Forum. Very few posts there, so it could be all bot views for all I know.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How would this work again with you keeping base management but having combat being done in different time mode? Do the whole world get into Turn Based mode when combat is triggered?

How do you do turn orders?

LanternFriend

Barely Literate
How would this work again with you keeping base management but having combat being done in different time mode? Do the whole world get into Turn Based mode when combat is triggered?

How do you do turn orders?
Like I wrote in the OP, it's not turn based combat, it's real time with pause. Combat system is adapted from the turn based tabletop system, kind of like how Baldur's Gate is an adaption of the DnD rules.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom