Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Large World RPG's

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I am looking for any RPG's that have large continuous 3D worlds like Oblivion. Think Minions of Mirth, Gothics, Two Worlds, Stalker (I guess) and so on.

Post the ones you know about.

Master Thief

Scholar
Morrowind and Carlos Mencia's 3D RPG extraveganza " The Beaner Scrolls: Run for the Border".

It really cool. You have to always keep an eye out for Coyotes, Drug Runners, La Migra and gonnoreah infested hookers. The Imperial city of Tijuana is where you start off.

Section8

Cipher
Find out which MMOGs have free trials and give them a workout. Most are very much like Oblivion, but with an actual economy, level balance, exploration, distinct character archtypes (and varied gameplay, to boot!) and there's a very slim chance you might even meet up with another human who actually wants to roleplay.

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
Biggest MMORPG - Dark & Light - 50.000 square kilometers

Biggest RPG - Daggerfall - 400.000 square kilometers

Biggest RPG with fancy graphics - depends on what kind of graphics you like, Oblivion is amongst the biggest RPG of the recent 3-4 years

Biggest FPS - Deus Ex - bigger then Oblivion, but I don't know the exact size

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Dark and Light would seem to meet your requirements, but in an MMO - which for some can be off putting.

gromit

Arcane
Boiling Point is something like 25*25 km (I think they shrunk it down some mid-dev,) but most of that is just jungle for the purposes of "I'd better take a vehicle" -> "oh shit, I wrecked my car HOW far from town?"

PS: patch patch patchitty patch.

Moggs

Liturgist
Deus Ex was mission based though, so you never had that much world to explore at any one time?

Atrokkus

Erudite
yeah, mission-based, separate maped (like Deus Ex took place in different parts of Earth) game do not qualify as large-world games.

Besides, why are you including non-rpgs, too?

Moggs

Liturgist
I think the difference in RPG-ness between Deus Ex and Oblivilion is pretty minimal once you look past the fantasy setting?

AZ

Liturgist
Moggs said:
I think the difference in RPG-ness between Deus Ex and Oblivilion is pretty minimal once you look past the fantasy setting?

In Deus Ex you had lots of choices how to solve the missions. And maps had lot's of routes, like if there was a house you had to enter, you could choose to enter it by the main door, sewers, roofs.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
And maps had lot's of routes, like if there was a house you had to enter, you could choose to enter it by the main door, sewers, roofs.
If I remember correctly, Deus Ex had a bunch of paths per level, there was the front door, the crate stack, and then three or four ventilation duct routes. :P Really, it's nice that they're there, but if you paid me to make games I think I would come up with something a little better (Splinter Cell usually does a good job of stuff like that.)

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Have you played the games? The paths through the levels are usually pretty interesting. Mostly linear, but I was talking more about the creativity bit. In SC you've usually got the front door and the "back door" typically being a skylight or a crack in the wall or something. They did use ventilation ducts, of course, but not as often as Deux Ex did (maybe once or twice per game).

Moggs

Liturgist
AZ said:
In Deus Ex you had lots of choices how to solve the missions. And maps had lot's of routes, like if there was a house you had to enter, you could choose to enter it by the main door, sewers, roofs.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I was trying to make: Deus Ex (a FPS with RPG elements) probably had as much (if not more?) roleplaying opportunity as Oblivion (supposedly an out-and-out RPG).

glasnost

Augur
Addionally, you did *not* have to solve missions as ordered. Botches and insubordination advanced the plot just as effectively.

And betrayal isn't forbidden, it's mandatory!

Slylandro

Scholar
Avernum 4 has a large continuous world, but it's a bit old if you've already played the first three and/or the Geneforge series. Bad graphics, but lots of interesting exploration and hacking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom