Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Large World RPG's

LlamaGod

Cipher
If Deus Ex is on par with Oblivion, what does that make SS2?

Section8

Cipher
But Oblivion isn't on par with Deus Ex. If you took all of Deus Ex's shortcomings and squared the total, you'd have Oblivion. Well not quite. Because Deus Ex also had a whole lot of cool stuff. Erm, let's try again.

Deus Ex is a very ambitious game that falls flat in certain areas, making it something of a tarnished gem. Oblivion seems ambitious on paper, but when you play it, you really begin to wonder where the fuck those four years of development actually went. All gameplay aspects are implemented to the bare minimum functionality, and even the scope of the world isn't impressive when you see how prefabbed all the locations are. In that respect, it's a big fucking rock.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Finally I found the game that had been mentioned a long time ago. It's a RTS, but you play it like a FPS?

Here are some pics

http://www.theguild2.com/index.php?lang=en&rid=1463

[edit] I can't help but think this game is going to play like crap. With the sims/pirates gibberish voices for npc dialogue, the stiff combat, and the claim that every decision you make will change the world.

Gwendo

Augur
wallace said:
Boiling Point is something like 25*25 km (I think they shrunk it down some mid-dev,) but most of that is just jungle for the purposes of "I'd better take a vehicle" -> "oh shit, I wrecked my car HOW far from town?"

PS: patch patch patchitty patch.

Shame on you, for even mentioning one of the worst games released in this decade. Great potential, VERY bad execution.

LlamaGod

Cipher
crufty said:
Technically, wasn't Arena bigger than Daggerfall, or was that just my imagination?

Arena was the entire game world, wasnt it?

LCJr.

Erudite
Seven said:
Have you tried Arcanum?

Arcanum isn't a continous world, it's just a big map with set locations. BTW anyone else find it idiotic you couldn't find a city until someone told you exactly where it was? Even if it was a port city or had a railroad line your character couldn't follow the rails or simply walk along the shoreline and find it. Or for that matter that the Victorian tech society had yet to produce a single map.

Just started messing around with Unreal World tonight. Looks very interesting and definately fits the bill as having a large continous world.
http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

Slylandro

Scholar
LCJr. said:
Seven said:
Have you tried Arcanum?

Arcanum isn't a continous world, it's just a big map with set locations. BTW anyone else find it idiotic you couldn't find a city until someone told you exactly where it was? Even if it was a port city or had a railroad line your character couldn't follow the rails or simply walk along the shoreline and find it. Or for that matter that the Victorian tech society had yet to produce a single map.

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but none of that is true at all. Arcanum's world is indeed continuous; that's why you can actually stop in between cities at any point (short of stopping in the middle of a tree or building* of course). Compare this to the BG II travel system where each city represents a distinct node and you can't really be inbetween cities except on special scripted encounters (like with bandits or when you meet Drizzt). It's just that a lot of the land in Arcanum outside the cities isn't really worth exploring, and a good deal of it is in fact in an obvious pattern. It's also not true that you can't find a city by walking to it before someone tells you where it is, I've done that several times already on my 3rd playthrough since I memorized a few of the coordinates.

* Actually you can, there is a weird bug I encountered where I somehow managed to use Arcanum's travel system to phase myself into a bridge. I was stuck, couldn't move, and had to reload. :D

LCJr.

Erudite
I've done that several times already on my 3rd playthrough since I memorized a few of the coordinates.

And you wouldn't have found it without the coordinates. Without the coordinates you never find a town no matter how much you wander over the map. Which is exactly what I find idiotic.

Say you're in Tarant and you want to go to Ashbury. Overlooking the fact the skill of mapmaking doesn't seem to exist in Arcanum you apply a little logic. Ashbury is to the east and has rail service so all I have to do is follow the mainline. Not an option.

Ignoring the railroad I know Ashbury is a coastal town. So head east and walk the coastline. Doesn't work either apparently your character doesn't know what a town looks like until someone tells him where it is. You can't walk down the shore until see roads, smoke, ships even the freaking town although it sits right on the shore. Hell you can't stop at some rural farmhouse and ask for directions.

Arcanum's world is indeed continuous; that's why you can actually stop in between cities at any point (short of stopping in the middle of a tree or building* of course).

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. If I remember correctly from going through the gamefiles the locations are randomly generated/randomly selected from a map pool based on the terrain type. So if you stop at coordinates X,Y and theres a big dead tree with a boulder next to it odds are it won't be the same if you stop at those coordinates again.

Seven

Erudite
Slylandro said:
LCJr. said:
Seven said:
Have you tried Arcanum?

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but none of that is true at all. Arcanum's world is indeed continuous; that's why you can actually stop in between cities at any point (short of stopping in the middle of a tree or building* of course). Compare this to the BG II travel system where each city represents a distinct node and you can't really be inbetween cities except on special scripted encounters (like with bandits or when you meet Drizzt). It's just that a lot of the land in Arcanum outside the cities isn't really worth exploring, and a good deal of it is in fact in an obvious pattern. It's also not true that you can't find a city by walking to it before someone tells you where it is, I've done that several times already on my 3rd playthrough since I memorized a few of the coordinates.

* Actually you can, there is a weird bug I encountered where I somehow managed to use Arcanum's travel system to phase myself into a bridge. I was stuck, couldn't move, and had to reload. :D

I think he's just confusing the word continuous with persistent: A persistent world does what he describes (think Space Rangers 2), whereas a continuous world is what you've described. And yes, I've also found locations without maps in Arcanum, bare in mind that it is pretty difficult since they're just small points without any other cues.

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
crufty said:
Technically, wasn't Arena bigger than Daggerfall, or was that just my imagination?

Basicly it was bigger, but Arena had a continuos generated world, you could go into a direction for ever. It had 471 maps with either a city or a village in the middle and the area arround it is infinite.

Though Daggerfalls world is generated too, it isn't continous, the developers generated a 400.000 square kilometer zone, saved it and added it into the game.

I prefer not to involve continous game worlds, because in this case the imortal plane in Oblivion and the endless sea in Morrowind would count has the largest worlds too. Not too mention there are tens or even hundrets of games with continous generated worlds

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom