Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian cultists reviewing BG1/2 - NOW with IWD:EE reviews

Humbaba

Arcane
The original D&D fireball spell was calculated in volume rather than by radius. They changed it since calculating the volume while inside a dungeon was too complicated, but I'd enjoy seeing a game implement it just so you could see the negative reviews from people throwing a fireball down a narrow corridor for the very first time.
Now that you mention that, a cRPG with fully physics based spells would be rad.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
46 hours in the Irenicus Dungeon good lord. There's no way these reviewers were above the age of 15.
15?

I was 8 when I finished Baldur's Gate 2. And I think my post history here on the Codex can back me up when I say that I'm not the brightest guy around. You just need a basic understanding of how colors and shapes work to determine that buttons with red flames hurt your enemies and buttons with blue shields protect your allies.

Anyway, there's no way that "46 hours" review isn't satire. Too dumb to be real.

15? My mom played BG while she was pregnant with me and I told her to git gud. :rpgcodex:

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
46 hours in the Irenicus Dungeon good lord. There's no way these reviewers were above the age of 15.
15?

I was 8 when I finished Baldur's Gate 2. And I think my post history here on the Codex can back me up when I say that I'm not the brightest guy around. You just need a basic understanding of how colors and shapes work to determine that buttons with red flames hurt your enemies and buttons with blue shields protect your allies.

Anyway, there's no way that "46 hours" review isn't satire. Too dumb to be real.

15? My mom played BG while she was pregnant with me and I told her to git gud. :rpgcodex:

and her reply using a coat hanger didn't impair your future quality posting abilities at all, I dare say

Not.AI

Learned
I actually prefer Larian stuff since Dragon Knight Saga, which was great. But...

Those reviews can't be real. Like, no way. Right?

(Sigh. They're probably real. After all, 1/3 of the world population or something is on TikTok. JFC.)

Serus

Arcane
Patron
many crpgs made after it

Which ones are the best? I'd love to update my playlist.
The best, how the hell would i know?
Better? That's easy. You want chronologically? Thematically?
Let's start with other IE games (sic), even PT, despite many issues. All Troika games, Arcanum is overrated but much better. All the usual indie suspects (Underrail, AoD,...). Maybe even Dragon Age, depends who you ask. Some action probably (FNV?), ask people who like those. Add the decent RLs made in that period, if those games interest you. Let's end with the two KotC-es. Also Kingmaker despite all its flaws. And there are more.
Ah, sorry i forgot. If you like old-school blobbers and/or dungeon crawlers, there is Grimoire. I Hope the Neanderthal Man doesn't visit those threads.

Basically if anything good or interesting was made in the last 20+ years, there is at least a good chance it is better than BG1. Granted, the numbers of such titles are limited but they exist.

Now you can happy stop replaying for the 20th time BG1 and start a new life of crpgs made in the 2000s. It won't last you long but it isn't as bad as some people make it. :smug:

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
15?

To add to that; I was similar in age, barely understood English and it was basically my first RPG. There is no way these reviews aren't just rage filled drivel.

Generic-Giant-Spider

These reviews make me happy to see good ol AD&D still being a perpetually unimpressed kung fu master that calls your kicks shit and tells you to clean the basement while it plays backgammon with some boomers up in the kitchen for seven hours.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW THAC0 YOU A FAKE0.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
15?

I'm inclined to agree, since one reviewer mentioned he was in the dungeon for 12 hours, yet only spent 8 in the game.
That said, not the biggest fan of Baldur's Gate 2 myself, but I cannot remember having any problems whatsoever in the maybe 3 times I've played through the game. That's over maybe 15-20 years, but I for the life of me cannot remember anything in that dungeon that could possibly cause someone enough problems to be stuck there for a significant amount of time.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The hilarious thing is that the games do come with the manuals and all it takes is for the mouthbreathers to open up the game install directory to see them.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The original D&D fireball spell was calculated in volume rather than by radius. They changed it since calculating the volume while inside a dungeon was too complicated, but I'd enjoy seeing a game implement it just so you could see the negative reviews from people throwing a fireball down a narrow corridor for the very first time.
Now that you mention that, a cRPG with fully physics based spells would be rad.

I'm hoping Exanima spellcasting will have that.

jackofshadows

Magister
there's no way that "46 hours" review isn't satire. Too dumb to be real.
46 is probably a stupid exaggeration but otherwise review seems plausible. These people do exist.

OP, why so little content? Be kind and dig up some more, will you?
The hilarious thing is that the games do come with the manuals and all it takes is for the mouthbreathers to open up the game install directory to see them.
Today players are unaware of this "manual" concept, they've been spoiled by in-game wiki/tutorial etc long time ago and I wouldn't really blame them. They can google though any time. Some are unaware of the "directory" concept however and that's pretty funny, yeah.

Last edited:

purupuru

Learned
No, I just think a mage should know the radius of their spells if they're capable of memorizing and casting them.
Yes a mage should know the radius of his spells, as should the player that is playing as a mage. And since they already know the spell radius very well, they don't need additional visual prompt to help them aim the spell correctly.

Actually, the critical info that AoE visual indicators provide is not the range of a spell (anyone can look up the manual and know a fireball has a 20ft radius), but rather the range between the point the spell lands and the actual characters on screen. A mage knows his fireball has 20ft radius, but does he necessarily know whether the spell lands 21ft or 19ft from an enemy? You can hand wave it or use a grid or whatever, but that's really abstraction and simplification for gameplay's sake.

Last edited:

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yes a mage should know the radius of his spells, as should the player that is playing as a mage. And since they already know the spell radius very well, they don't need additional visual prompt to help them aim the spell correctly.

But those rules were designed with a clear visual feedback, towards the player and not just DM, in mind, namely a grid.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Larian cultists ? Have they obtained the dark knowledge to summon the Sven ? Do they pray to the holy barrel ? What kind of rituals do they exercise ? I hope there is no mass suicide imminent.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I got a pirated copy of BG2 when I was 12 or 13. I did not have a manual because it was a pirate copy. I did not know anything about D&D rules. My English was solid enough to understand what's going on, but not perfect. I didn't know that negative armor value is better, so I never equipped armor on my characters because it would reduce their AC lmao.

I still managed to get through Irenicus' dungeon pretty quickly and even made it to the midgame despite misunderstanding half of the ruleset.

Zoomer players are genuinely clinically retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom