Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian cultists reviewing PF:KM.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Already made a thread about Larian cultists reviewing BG1/2 + IWD ( https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/larian-cultists-reviewing-bg1-2-now-with-iwd-ee-reviews.141531/ )

But I'm creating this thread to :
  • Laugh from their crap reviews
  • Point out how much decline Larian is bringing, by bringing Diablo 3 style awful itemization and nonsensical game mechanics into CRPGs
Same technique as before. Just hold the PG DN key, then CTRL + F and search for "Divinity", "Larian" and other keywords and find the Larian Cultists there with their hilarious takes, TBH not as hilarious as BG1/2 reviews but hilarious non the less and serves to show that the RPG genre is the genre which declined the most

:decline:

28CS7ch.png

0CIZOpg.png

qSSh4mz.png

mnGLUo5.png

jgAF0DJ.png

nQa2ImS.png

well, pathfinder *is* unbalanced. if you try to work with logic, you're going to be slaughtered but most probably you'll crash on a forced failstate during empire management. then one day you realize that not only in melee you get boni if you attack an enemy from multiple sides, but also with ranged, and position doesn't matter. suddenly you build a 4 rangers with 4 animals team and everything just melts.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'd say that you, as a "developer" are being an asshole by saying that, even if it's to/about another developer whom you can't stand, whether they themselves or their products.

Extremely unprofessional.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
athfinder *is* unbalanced.

And that is not a problem. D&D 4e is the most balanced edition ever yet is by far the worse.
By far the best-suited to being a video game, though. The reviews complaining that pathfinder is built around save-scumming are absolutely correct, and it is shitty design even if I like the games regardless.

IF by """video game""" you mean generic low lethality gear farming, cooldown managing wow clone... Sorry but I rather play something fun. IE - Any 2E/3.xE adaptation.

PS : About save scumming, I played with the permadeath mode till late chapter 4, lv 13 / almost 14 and died there by being ambushed while resting. There are lots of streamers who completed WoTR at launch in the permadeath mode. No need to save scum.

notpl

Arbiter
"Generic" is a meaningless word, 4e's loot system does not differ from 3e's in any significant way, and it does not have cooldowns as it is a turn-based RPG - abilities are used either infinitely or per-rest the same as every other edition of d&d.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"Generic" is a meaningless word, 4e's loot system does not differ from 3e's in any significant way, and it does not have cooldowns as it is a turn-based RPG - abilities are used either infinitely or per-rest the same as every other edition of d&d.

AEDU is pretty close to a mmo rotation based combat. Adn some abilities to have "cooldowns" in turns.

I see a enemy, I cast disintegrate. Or the spell works and the enemy is dust or he resists the spell(I can tolerate massive damage from PF1e), the idea of enemies soaking 168468551654684*10²³ disintegration beams from a spell or a SCI FI weapon is silly. That is how the spell works in any decent RPG. In Arcanum which is not a P&P adaptation, I can reduce fortified doors to dust with disintegrate.

This obsession with balance is what is killing modern RPGs. Balance should be a tool to make the game more fun, not a end on its own and placed above immersion, progression and cool factor.

notpl

Arbiter
You're just wrong, no abilities have a turn-based cooldown unless they were introduced in some very late-life supplement I never read. Disintegrate isn't even an instant kill in 3.5 or pathfinder, it just does a large amount of damage exactly the same way it does in 4e!

Balance *was* a tool used to make 4e more fun. It was more fun playing a rogue in 4e where one had the ability to beguile groups of enemies, evade nearly any threat, deal huge spikes of damage to ANY enemy rather than just an extremely small subset of them that quickly became irrelevant past the first few levels, and wasn't just a glorified master key for the party when the spellcasters were out of "Immediately solve any obstacle" buttons.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Anyone who claims 4e is 'more fun' is a retart.

All these reviews show is that people are lazy, and want things to be easy. PF games have flaws, but fukk off with this bullsitz.

Trashos

Arcane
Kind reminder that if you want to play the game without being challenged, there are several difficulty modes for that. Harder modes are going to be harder. And do not kid yourselves that you are being challenged if you are not dying, hopefully no one here is that stupid.

SumDrunkGuy

I never got the D:OS hate around here. I loved both those games. Definitely preferred 1 over 2 but I enjoyed both.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I never got the D:OS hate around here. I loved both those games. Definitely preferred 1 over 2 but I enjoyed both.

It has everything that sucks about diablo 3 and arcania in a turn based game. And worse, Larian cultists who never played BG1/2 some times refers to dos1/2 as "modern baldurs gate", but dos2 is not hated. In the top 101 rpgs of all time, it appears above Dark Sun, KCD, TW, Elex and even ToEE.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

It has everything that sucks about diablo 3 and arcania in a turn based game. And worse, Larian cultists who never played BG1/2 some times refers to dos1/2 as "modern baldurs gate", but dos2 is not hated. In the top 101 rpgs of all time, it appears above Dark Sun, KCD, TW, Elex and even ToEE.

Interesting. I never noticed any similarities between D:OS and D3. The visual style is similar I guess. D3 is about as brainless as video games get though. D:OS requires a bit of thinking.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Interesting. I never noticed any similarities between D:OS and D3. The visual style is similar I guess. D3 is about as brainless as video games get though. D:OS requires a bit of thinking.

I mean, in the itemization mostly about stat stickie items, the ridiculous high number inflation and managing cooldowns being the most important part of the game + the very cartoonish artstyle.

notpl

Arbiter
The combat was pretty fun (with some mind-bogglingly stupid design pitfalls) but the writing in both games is some of the most insufferable bullshit I've ever subjected myself to. Usually I ignore stuff like that but it's so bad it taints the rest of the game with its presence.

And yeah, the itemization is terrible but people had made mods to fix it by the time I played 2.

to me, the final nail in the coffin, the ultimate reason i stopped playing dos2, has been "quest related sets". added to the inability to go to previous islands, you just can't be sure you're not forfeiting a full set due to some obscure puzzle or hard to spot passage you missed.
i stopped one or two quests before completing demons island. how much longer is the game?

Dhaze

Cipher
how much longer is the game?

Not much longer. The last act was a bit bigger than Reaper's Coast (aka Demon's Island as you call it, and if we're talking about the same thing). You didn't miss much though, as it makes for one of the sharpest, most abrupt drop in overall quality I've ever seen in a video game.

SumDrunkGuy

I'd say that you, as a "developer" are being an asshole by saying that, even if it's to/about another developer whom you can't stand, whether they themselves or their products.

Extremely unprofessional.

Crispy, of all people, accusing somebody else of being unprofessional. LOL!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom