Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian for a first timer

ekrolo2

Learned
I've never played a Larian game before but I'd like to start somewhere. What game would you guys recommend for that?

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, I probably would go for DD like Gregz suggested as well since its their first game, the combat is kinda similar to Diablo tho, where its just fast action hack and slash. Divinity 2 is third person action, a lot of people sing praises for the DLC of it. DOS is their newest series if you like TB, I loved the first game but there is an EE version which I haven't played.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Divinity Original Sin (1) is probably the best start and Larian's breakout game. The game has the really fun and creative turn-based combat which they are now famous for. Some really good interconnected quests design especially in the first 20h, with multiple creative ways to solve each quest. But The story is kinda boring and not really connected with the other games.

Divinity 2 Ego Draconis is a blast to play with its really simple 3rd person action combat and it's pretty much the only RPG where you become a dragon. It might also be the best written with a really fantastic plot twist. if that isn't awesome enough for you the game allows you to literally build Frankenstein-monsters out of the body parts you collect from killed enemies. Also tons of genuinely funny jokes.

And Divine Divinity since very few ever talk about it, the very first game Larian has made. it's pretty unique since it plays like classic Diablo but has lots of fun dialogue and surprisingly in-depth quest. It's also the best introduction into the world when you want to play Divinity Original Sin 2 later. Even if you don't play it get the soundtrack http://www.kirillpokrovsky.com/

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I've never played a Larian game before but I'd like to start somewhere. What game would you guys recommend for that?
If you want to get a look at what BG3 will be, just have a go at Divos2. Same mediocre shit. Or you might just wait for BG3, it's aroudn the corner.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Divine Divinity is still the best Larian game and especially the Larian game that has the least cringe writing and dialogue.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I only recently played Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2. Both of them are great games, but some of their features can be so infuriating that they can ruin your entire experience. My advice would be to play the first 5-7 hours to see for yourself if you think you can stomach the flaws to enjoy the good parts. I would start with the second game because I found it to be a straight improvement over the first, but if you decide to go chronologically remember that, when you get fed up with the non-combat quests in Cyseal, you can just go west to enjoy some combat (the first town has an enormous amount of quests that require walking and talking and that has nothing to do with the rest of the game). Just remember that these are games that require an important time investment: even without trying to solve every single quest, you are looking at least at 50 hours for D:OS 1 and 100 hours for D:OS 2.

I'm not familiar with other Larian games (I will fix that in the near future), but these two are worth a try: you might not like them, but if you do you will have a really great time.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Play the first chapter/area of every game and move to the next one, their games consistently became absolute fucking garbage after the starting level, that they keep showing in preview/Betas.

Atum

Barely Literate
Best Larian experience is to place a frying pan over your head and violently bang it with a wooden spoon until you forget your own name.

More serious response? DOS1 is... okay as something that sorta smells like a good RPG, but really isn't, but you can actually play it with someone else. I couldn't bother with DOS1 myself, but it was... reasonably fun playing it with my girlfriend without having to pay too much attention to the arduous, fuck-you-awful story. Regardless, there's not a lot of legit co-op CRPGs out there, and DOS1 is admittedly one of them.

On the other hand, one of my proudest moments ever in gaming is when said girlfriend, without any prompting from me, ascertained that DOS2 is "absolute garbage." Because she is, of course, completely correct. Neither one of us could fuck with DOS2 even with the novelty of co-op. Unfortunately the subtle reasons why DOS2 is even worse than DOS1 would require you to be familiar with DOS1, whereas I'm fundamentally advising you not to bother with any of it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Best Larian experience is to place a frying pan over your head and violently bang it with a wooden spoon until you forget your own name.

More serious response? DOS1 is... okay as something that sorta smells like a good RPG, but really isn't, but you can actually play it with someone else. I couldn't bother with DOS1 myself, but it was... reasonably fun playing it with my girlfriend without having to pay too much attention to the arduous, fuck-you-awful story. Regardless, there's not a lot of legit co-op CRPGs out there, and DOS1 is admittedly one of them.

On the other hand, one of my proudest moments ever in gaming is when said girlfriend, without any prompting from me, ascertained that DOS2 is "absolute garbage." Because she is, of course, completely correct. Neither one of us could fuck with DOS2 even with the novelty of co-op. Unfortunately the subtle reasons why DOS2 is even worse than DOS1 would require you to be familiar with DOS1, whereas I'm fundamentally advising you not to bother with any of it.
I'm curious about the reasons why DOS2 is worse than DOS1 in your opinion (unless they are all about the armor system, then I can live without discussing it).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The story is kinda boring and not really connected with the other games.

I'm playing Divinity OS for the first time right now and it's funny how the writing and style of it can be so relatively different but the overall story still incredibly generic and boring.

DraQ

Arcane
Divinity Original Sin (1) is probably the best start and Larian's breakout game. The game has the really fun and creative turn-based combat which they are now famous for. Some really good interconnected quests design especially in the first 20h, with multiple creative ways to solve each quest. But The story is kinda boring and not really connected with the other games.
No.
Do NOT start with DOS1.
Seriously. It has pretty cool combat, but writing wise it is beyond cringeworthy, humour is uncharacteristically bad and you'll likely drop it and perpetuate retarded meme of Larian style shitty writing.

Divinity 2 Ego Draconis is a blast to play with its really simple 3rd person action combat and it's pretty much the only RPG where you become a dragon. It might also be the best written with a really fantastic plot twist. if that isn't awesome enough for you the game allows you to literally build Frankenstein-monsters out of the body parts you collect from killed enemies. Also tons of genuinely funny jokes.
Fully agreed on this one.
I started with Divinity 2 and had a blast despite a lot of shitty MMO-style mechanical elements.

I guess starting with DOS2 is also a legitimate option, although you'll miss out on Kirill's iconic soundtrack.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
just throw $40 into a blender and make a dolla dolla puree or chip dip. I bought TWO (2) larian games (DOS and DOS2) and both were utter shit waste of time nonsense

if you have the sense of humor of a redditor you'll like it I guess

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Start with the best one

800x600_undead.jpg

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom