Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian General Discussion Thread

Heinrich

Scholar
Can we get a 'DiaperLover69' tag for Old Hans since he seems really interested in the topic and we're giving out tags like candy these days DarkUnderlord ? Alternatively a dumbfuck tag for both of us, I'm willing to take the fall.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
glad to see they will continue this bad habit
Early Access has only made their games better. It's the first areas of Larian games that are universally praised.
they always fall under the sway of people like DiaperLover69, and they begin compromising on their vision. I still cannot forgive what they did to Anders and the Paladins of Tyr

Are you sure? Most of the people is killing them for Aryan-devil pussy.

What Swen wants say to us...

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
swen.JPG

Speeees game?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I would like to see their take on a Space themed game. :salute: I'm pretty burned out on Fantasy™....
sj-box.jpg
sj-box-leg.jpg
sj-sjr4.jpg

Sci-fi from Larian would definitely be something in the spirit of the old Spelljammer. I just hope they outgrow Reditt humour for good, otherwise this game would be unbearable.

By the way, because you probably should know this Zed , was this new Spelljammer a success for Wizards? There were probably only two textbooks, both in 2022.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I wish, but they cut ties with Wizards. Probably over money.
Based on how it was working for BG3 (and alluded too by Josh), WotC/Hasbro are fucking terrible to deal with. While a new Spelljammer *could* be pretty fucking cool, I don't ever in the future foresee Larian doing any other WotC licensed product again. Period.

We will just have to sit here and wait and see what the Larian team comes up with. Curious if they might go full sci-fi or..... sci-fi fantasy. Or they are actually doing a completely different setting....

scytheavatar

Scholar
I wish, but they cut ties with Wizards. Probably over money.
Given the sales of BG3, Larian could purchase the entire Spelljammer IP from WotC/Hasbro, then implement their own game mechanics without reference to "D&D 5th edition". :M

They should do the exact opposite, they can absolutely make a 5E game without WOTC's permission like Tactical Adventures did for Solasta. On the other hand the Spelljammer IP is not worth much as it's seen more as a meme than something people play TTRPGs on. Larian would be better off making their own brand new Space fantasy IP and slapping 5e on top of it.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Eh wut? Their first areas are only half decent BECAUSE they are early access cons and all the effort is spent in the early bit while they drop the rest in the trash after they make bank/stop making bank.

My mistake for even looking at a Larian thread I guess, dunno why I put myself thru that. I'll get me coat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They should do the exact opposite, they can absolutely make a 5E game without WOTC's permission like Tactical Adventures did for Solasta. On the other hand the Spelljammer IP is not worth much as it's seen more as a meme than something people play TTRPGs on. Larian would be better off making their own brand new Space fantasy IP and slapping 5e on top of it.
Swen hates D&D and is happily going back to his original systems.

Swen Vincke said:
We had also spent a whole bunch of time converting the system into a video game and we wanted to do new things. There are a lot of constraints on making D&D, and 5th Edition is not an easy system to put into a video game. We had all these ideas of new combat we wanted to try out and they were not compatible.

Item Fever where'd you run to?

Shrimp

Arbiter
Can't blame him for not wanting to be constrained within a pre-made ruleset, but honestly I think it ultimately did them a favour since it (somewhat) dampened the amount of nonsense they most likely would've experimented with like exponential stat increases whenever you level up, the DOS2 armour system, randomised Diablo loot and so on.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Two games? So maybe their own space game and also.... :oUltima:o?! If they did an Ultima game, which Swen has always seemed to want to do, they could make up whatever systems they wanted as there is no consistent "rules set" throughout the series. The only restraint to be imposed is the morality system but EA could easily wave their hand and do away with that (which would be a terrible, TERRIBLE idea!). Big drawback being EA itself. Don't think Larian wants anything to do with larger corporations after their seemingly rough relationship with Hasbro. Most likely scenario is a space game and an Original Sin game both their own IP.

Harthwain

Magister
I just hope they outgrow Reditt humour for good, otherwise this game would be unbearable.
...just like their two previous games? At this point Larian Humour™ is a feature you have to expect. It's the kind of "fun" colleagues can make and appreciate but that's about it.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I just hope they outgrow Reditt humour for good, otherwise this game would be unbearable.
...just like their two previous games? At this point Larian Humour™ is a feature you have to expect. It's the kind of "fun" colleagues can make and appreciate but that's about it.

Personally, I think that BG3 was waaaaaay better than DOS2, and DOS2 way great step towards DOA et consortes.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Swen hates D&D and is happily going back to his original systems.

Swen Vincke said:
We had also spent a whole bunch of time converting the system into a video game and we wanted to do new things. There are a lot of constraints on making D&D, and 5th Edition is not an easy system to put into a video game. We had all these ideas of new combat we wanted to try out and they were not compatible.

Item Fever where'd you run to?

There is nothing stopping Larian from heavily modifying 5E to suit whatever ideas they want in their next game. Yeah it took some effort to put 5e into a video game but then they have already done it and it would be a waste to throw all that away for another system.

Of course I know Larian won't do it but it is something they could think of.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There is nothing stopping Larian from heavily modifying 5E to suit whatever ideas they want in their next game. Yeah it took some effort to put 5e into a video game but then they have already done it and it would be a waste to throw all that away for another system.

Of course I know Larian won't do it but it is something they could think of.
They already have their own systems though. They tolerated 5e for the chance to do Baldur's Gate, that's all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom