Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Larian Studios Documentary by Gameumentary

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Beyond Divinity; David Walgrave; Divine Divinity; Divinity II; Divinity: Dragon Commander; Divinity: Original Sin; Divinity: Original Sin 2; Jan Van Dosselaer; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke; The Lady, the Mage and the Knight

Gameumentary is a games journalism outlet that specializes in producing free full-length documentaries about video game studios. You may have seen their Kingdom Come: Deliverance documentary back in July. This week they released a 68 minute documentary about Larian Studios. Although primarily dedicated to the Divinity: Original Sin games, the first half of the documentary is about Larian's history prior to that, starting from the cancelled The Lady, the Mage and the Knight, through Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, up to Divinity II and Divinity: Dragon Commander. There's not much new here in terms of information if you've read the various "history of Larian" articles that have been published in the press over the past few years, but it's worth watching for the photos and footage - including a look at an early real-time version of Original Sin, back when it was still called "Eyes of a Child".

Thoroughly inspiring stuff. Don't miss the post-credits scene at the end, where after a respectful tribute to Kirill Pokrovsky, Swen Vincke reveals the codename of Larian's next major title - Project Gustav. That's actually been a thing since at least July, apparently.

That was some quality production.

Also, not always into some of the questionable design choices Larian has made so far, but it's hard to deny they can be counted among the "reliable devs" around when it comes to producing noteworthy RPGs these days.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Would be nice if Project Gustav was a third person RPG again taking on the biggest competition.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Eyes of a Child looked and sounded actually quite nice. I hope they will reuse the idea for the story in some way.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I was unaware that Larian had grown by a factor of 5 to 6 between the time of the two Original Sins. I like Larian, and it'll be a sad day when they join the ranks of companies taught the timeless lesson of regression towards the mean.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was unaware that Larian had grown by a factor of 5 to 6 between the time of the two Original Sins. I like Larian, and it'll be a sad day when they join the ranks of companies taught the timeless lesson of regression towards the mean.

Swen said a couple of times how he regretted each time they stopped doing work for hire. Now with a 150-180 people size company, it's doubtful all they're focusing in is this 'Project Gustav'.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Aside from Larian's troubles, dtp entertainment put Radon Labs (Drakensang) out of business and nearly Deck13 (Venetica, The Surge).

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Swen said a couple of times how he regretted each time they stopped doing work for hire
why?

Because they ran out of money, had to lay off a bunch of people and were very close to shutting down a couple of times. It's all in the video.

He's referring to the kids/mobile games, though, not the issues they had with publishers in the past.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom