Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Larian Studios Status Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Divinity 2; Larian Studios

<p>Larian Studio's Sven Vincke posted a <a href="http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Number=443191&amp;gonew=1#UNREAD" target="_blank">status update</a> on their forums.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Speaking of which, this week a lot of time was spent on creating the presentations of D &amp; E for our partners, and it was the first time that we saw all of the individual design and graphic components put together in a way that it&rsquo;s easy to communicate about them. You know &ndash; this is the story in four lines, this is the gameplay in four lines, this is why it will work in four lines etc&hellip; together with plenty of visuals. It&rsquo;s quite different from the usual design docs, which are actually quite lenghty texts, and feature things like (for example purposes only)<br /><br />Decision 389:<br /><br />A poor man was caught in the streets stealing from a vendor. The vendor deals in illegal goods yet he demands that the poor man be executed. What will you do, sire?<br /><br />A Have the poor man flogged publically as an example and put the vendor out of business (-5 gold, righteousness +1)<br />B Tell the merchant to forgive a poor man and compensate him for his troubles (-1 gold, kindheartedness +1)<br />C Tell the merchant to forgive the poor man and fine him for selling illegal goods (+5 gold, +1 biased)<br />D No one demands anything in my kingdom; release the poor man and execute the merchant for selling illegal goods (+5 gold for 5 turns, Iron fist +1)<br /><br />The pitch documents instead need to condense things like the above to &ldquo;you make choices&rdquo;, and you then need to hope that the audience of these pitch documents can understand what you&rsquo;re trying to do.<br /><br />It turns out that that&rsquo;s quite hard &ndash; Jan, our writer for instance, has a tendency (as you surely saw in DKS) to be fairly elaborate when he writes and summarzing his writing in a couple of sentences, well, it &rsquo;s not for the meek. To be perfectly honest, in this case we actually needed external help ;\)<br /><br />In Bioware terms, the story summary for most of their games would be (shameless rip from hellforge.gameriot.com) &ndash; &ldquo;You hail from humble beginnings &ndash; a devastating battle sends your quiet life spinning out of balance &ndash; the attack leaves you alone with two companions, of magical and martial prowess &ndash; undaunted by the attack, you recover and are swiftly invited into an elite order that places you in a position of power or authority over the rest of humanity &ndash; you discover that you must discover to four main locations in order to save the world/galaxy &ndash; with your mission well under way, your every effort is twharted by an evil or sinister organization &ndash; at some point you fall asleep and there is a dream sequence &ndash; further along in your journeys, you discover the ruins of a sprawling ancient civilization&rdquo; ;\)<br /><br />Given that we&rsquo;re makers of RPGs, you can imagine that we scrutinize their every move, and so I&rsquo;m very happy to say that today we beat them to it ! It is not without a certain sense of pride that today I announce that we managed to summarize the fairly extensive storyline of project E in 4 lines (admittedly aided by some visuals), and people still get it ;\) What&rsquo;s more &ndash; it&rsquo;s different &ndash; AND, a Larian first, you get to beat the bad guy in the end !!!<br /><br />I see that my next meeting popped up, so I need to go now. But before I dash off, a big thank you to all of you who&rsquo;ve been writing such nice things about DKS all over the internet, and an especially big thank you to the makers of all those videos &ndash; it&rsquo;s a lot of fun for us to watch them and we&rsquo;re quite grateful. Makes us a walk a bit straighter.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#17183">RPGWatch</a></p>

Angthoron

Arcane
What, some developer dares mock divine writings of BioWarian overlords?!

And I hope that it's going to be some sort of a parody setting, one BioWare is enough, thanks.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Too young to be able to blame it on age (I hope), I figured it must have something to do with our workload, but to be honest, we’ve experienced far worse in the past, so that can’t be it either – as matter of fact, it’s actually quite a lot of fun for the moment to work at Larian with pressure lower than usual, and things apparently going well for our studio. DKS is doing well, the new games are looking cool, and contrary to many an independent studio, we’re in good shape with the warm feeling of true independance doing miracles for my blood pressure i.e. we don’t need to deal with the whims of any third party, and can pretty much do as we want. (Well, there are some constraints, but compared to the shackles of the past, these are almost irrelevant)
:yeah:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
B Tell the merchant to forgive a poor man and compensate him for his troubles (-1 gold, kindheartedness +1)

Wait, it's kindheartedness to make the merchant compensate the fucking thief? :rage:

Liberalism strikes again.

B Tell the merchant to forgive a poor man and compensate him for his troubles (-1 gold, kindheartedness +1)
C Tell the merchant to forgive the poor man and fine him for selling illegal goods (+5 gold, +1 biased)

:lol:
What's the difference? They're both biased, it's only the recipient of the bias that changes.

edit: nvm, I guess they meant YOU compensate the fucking thief. Shit writing is still shit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Makers of DD series? Fuck, those Diablo wannabes suck.

I love ths soc alled 'potshots' of BIO. All that means is BIO is on top of the world. It's why BIo takes pot shots at SS and FF.. b/c SS is really on top of the road. R00fles!

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Mastermind said:

Wait, it's kindheartedness to make the merchant compensate the fucking thief? :rage:

Liberalism strikes again.

C Tell the merchant to forgive the poor man and fine him for selling illegal goods (+5 gold, +1 biased)

:lol:
What's the difference? They're both biased, it's only the recipient of the bias that changes.

edit: nvm, I guess they meant YOU compensate the fucking thief. Shit writing is still shit.
That's not at all how I'm interpreting it - I read it as you compensate the MERCHANT for the goods stolen, in return he gives up his complaint. Nobody gets in the shit, the situation is resolved without conflict. Hence, kindheartedness.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
SkepticsClaw said:
Mastermind said:
That's not at all how I'm interpreting it - I read it as you compensate the MERCHANT for the goods stolen, in return he gives up his complaint. Nobody gets in the shit, the situation is resolved without conflict. Hence, kindheartedness.
Thats how any sane person is interpreting it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Codex can't handle quote pyramids.

Larian is a good company, I just hope they make magic attacks more interesting in the next Divinity.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Went to wikipedia to see when Divine Divinity (my favorite one) was released and found this amusing quote:

In 2002 IGN's Barry Brenesal said:
With Bioware's assets tied up in light sabers and Black Isle Studios working on a game that has no strategic pause mode, perhaps Larian will step forward to carry the CRPG banner in the near future. We could do a lot worse.
We did a lot worse. We sure did.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(shameless rip from hellforge.gameriot.com)
Ugh, don't encourage him.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Project E. Next year seems awfully fast for both though.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
felipepepe said:
Went to wikipedia to see when Divine Divinity (my favorite one) was released and found this amusing quote:

In 2002 IGN's Barry Brenesal said:
With Bioware's assets tied up in light sabers and Black Isle Studios working on a game that has no strategic pause mode, perhaps Larian will step forward to carry the CRPG banner in the near future. We could do a lot worse.
We did a lot worse. We sure did.

Ouch.

Karmapowered

Augur
Larian creates good games.

Unlike other (major?) studios that shan't be named, which leave their broken dung piles behind in a continued stream of sequels, they also care about fixing the stuff that might not be optimal at release.

I thought this was commendable.

They deserve all the praise they can get from me.

Do we have any info on what those projects are?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom