Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LARPFEST

lightbane

Arcane
I say... C!!
Tell the Deceiver we'll think about it, then call Ciaphas Cain and his fellow friend Jurgen, then summon the Deceiver back, use Jurgen's "blank aura" and Cain's plot armor to neutralize the Deceiver's powers and kill it and maybe even deactivate the Halo Device :P

If that's not possible, I say B, it's better to die than to live serving a lame copy of Nyalarnothep.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Marius Hax wouldn't like to leave things unfinished. He'd want to continue his work. He wouldn't like to work under the thumb of a god either, and he never really saw the Emperor as more than just the emperor.
What will a new lord be to him?

No, go with Option A, Hax can then work on coming free from the Deceiver in time. He'll have plenty of that, and it'd probably just amuse the Deceiver, maybe until the time he might actually succeed. :smug:

lightbane

Arcane
What about threatening the Deceiver with a meltabomb? It worked for the Nightbringer...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tough choice. I don't think I have any idea which option is better and why (discuss!!).

On the one hand, the bastard is definitely not lying about Eliphas and Ahriman 'cause we know about it from metagame knowledge, and we could definitely use his help in stopping them. But he might as well either be lying or exaggerating the problems of traitors and heretical inquisition to sway our judgement.

On the other hand... he's the fucking deceiver. Siding with him means bad news regardless of circumstances. Also, what exactly can he offer in return? First he said that he might remove the halo device from Hax, but now he says the device is far beyond his control, so...

And also, if we stop Eliphas and co from completing their quest, this won't exactly make the Deceiver the master of the universe or something. More like it will return stuff to status quo. But the bastard definitely has some plans of his own for the tyrant star.

I vote A!!!!!!111111 But only to a certain extent. We shall 'ally' with the Deceiver to stop Chaos, as supernatural assistance is always handy.. But if he wants more or tries to get more... backstab the faggot and deny him victory. In this scenario, nobody should be allowed to win because whoever wins, we lose.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
B
root said:
"Me? A Daemon? Far from it, Your Grace. I was born with the universe, and I have remained with it ever since. I have many names. Jackal God, Deceiver, Cegorach, Laughing God of the Eldar, Nighthowler, Black Prince, Crawling Chaos."

"God of the Eldar?"

"Oh, yes. I save them from Slaanesh, sometimes. I find it fitting, after all, since they themselves created it. I am a C'tan, a Star God that feeds upon stars and souls. I tricked the Necrontyr into giving up their bodies and enter carcasses of living metal, and they have been my obedient slaves ever since, the Necrons of legend. I tricked my fellow brothers into devouring eachother, for if they gad their way, the whole of the galaxy would be consumed. I have no love for the warp. That is why I am telling you all of this. "

How can the Deceiver, one of the C'tan be Cegorah and interact with a chaos god? Wasn't it that Slaanesh & co. were confined to The Warp and C'tan being unable even to perceive it? Or do I fail a lore check here?

I wouldn't trust the Deceivers grim view of the future. Maybe Magnus on the Golden Throne isn't such a bad idea?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yaar Podshipnik said:
I wouldn't trust the Deceivers grim view of the future. Maybe Magnus on the Golden Throne isn't such a bad idea?

Magnus might have been the most 'reasonable' of the traitor primarchs before/during the Heresy, true (and he could have prevented the whole Heresy had the Emperor not been lawful stupid), but I suspect being a daemon prince for millennia has left him rotten to the core.

So yeah, it's probably a bad idea.

Baltika

Educated
I vote
---B---.

True, we will most likely not lst long without divine assistance against our enemies, but better to die on your feet than live groveling and catering to the plans of a God whose motives aer far less from benevolent.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
root said:
for anybody who doesn't know, the Emperor wanted Magnus to take his place in the Golden Throne because he was the most powerful psyker (barring the emperor) in the galaxy and thus the only one able to sit upon it and not be consumed by the huge effort that is required to keep the astronomican running, the emperor's tarot meaningful (as well as building the human webway, but that was never finished), things like that.
Afaik, not even the emperor can sit on the golden throne unaffected as the astronomicon requires souls of psykers to function. Or maybe that's just because the emprah is/was "dead".

The question I ask myself for this update is "Can we deceive the Deceiver?". We undeniably stand to gain much from his help as he is a powerful entity. In fact, after his speech I am almost considering a permanent agreement with him. Yes he needs to eat souls to survive, but depending on the quantity that may not be more than what the golden throne needed. What is a few thousand souls a year compared to the safety of the imperium?

Should the sacrifice prove to great though the question is if we can stop him at that point. He seems to know what the tyrant star is... and he seems to think it will grant him a lot of power.

I tentatively vote A. Actually I want to vote "I will not help you, YOU will help me". We need to let him know we are not his servants. If we are to work together it will be as equals(to some extent anyway)

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Goddammit root! Frankly, had Deceiver started his sueing with this he would have got our governor much faster. Now that he put it this way the campaign seems more interesting when we side with him.

So A! but only if we won't have to fall under his direct control (like mind-control) and will be able to find some way (or given opportunity) to double-cross that bastard!!! We cannot succumb to his will easily.

I hope that the choice we made previously will ensure that Hax won't turn into some buhahahah I want teh POWEHRZ and be TEH EMPHEROZ! megalomaniac retard at some point.

Also request intelligence from the Deceiver on the moves of Chaos in the sector. If we have a god on our side he should be able to give us some targets... Whether we act against them as he wants us to is a completely different matter altogether ;)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
9964 said:
I hope that the choice we made previously will ensure that Hax won't turn into some buhahahah I want teh POWEHRZ and be TEH EMPHEROZ! megalomaniac retard at some point.

Unit 3108 has proved to provide Biowarian choices in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that way :rpgcodex:

lightbane

Arcane
Ugh, true a biowarian choice. "Join me or your entire race will die!!". It seems it's totally impossible to not join an evil, manipulative god on this lp. Thus, I say A.

Twinkle

Liturgist
A

Let's face it: he grabbed Marius by the balls firmly since the very beginning. It's too late to play captain Extreme and Hax doesn't have what is needed to harm him anyway.

oscar

Arcane
The question we must ask is, what is better for Man, the Deceiver on the Golden Throne or Tzeentch?

Chaos = Bad
The Deceiver = Probably bad

So A it is.

Gondolin

Arcane
FFS, you don't know for sure that Tzeentch's minion is heading for the Golden Throne. For all we know, the Deceiver could be lying to us (what a surprise!).
_______

Gondolin

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As far as I can remember, in an update long time ago, root posted some entity talking to Void Dragon. If that was the Deceiver then those two may be plotting something bad for humanity, maybe even worse than falling to chaos.

"Machine God" getting access to something that allows to project strongly into the warp may be first step to annihilating all life, everywhere. And wasn't it what C'tan always wanted?

UPDATE: found it thanks to awesome index :) Entry "Star Gods". It was the Deceiver and he and his chums seemingly want to destroy the warp. No warp - no souls. Judging from existence of Pariahs it is possible for a human to exist and be conscious without one.

I still stand by my choice to show the guy the finger and work on our own.

oscar

Arcane
Well now I'm conflicted. The "forget everything you thought you knew about the Deceiver" part makes me think he's probably more benevolent then his GW portrayal but having no soul is even worse then having a corrupted one.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, fuck me. I can't even take a weeks vacation from this thread without you people going ahead and selling our anal virginities to elder beings from beyond the stars.

I guess it falls to me to bring about the incline again. In case you people had forgotten, we're GRIMDARK and EXTREME here. That means no bowing to filthy non-human star-devouring entities. That means - when faced with the choice between a bullet to the brain and SELLING THE FUCKING SOUL OF HUMANITY TO C'TAN - bullet ALWAYS wins. The only valid answer here would've been never to use that idiotic ring. But seeing as SOMEONE couldn't leave well enough alone, we must cut our losses and vote:
B

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom