Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Last Epoch - time travel action-RPG - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Aemar, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Interesting concept but the feel of the gameplay is meh at best, like all Diablo clones.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. kreight Guest

kreight
    what did I just read?

^ Top  
  3. kreight Guest

kreight
    The new class - Rogue - will be introduced in the update launching Dec 4.

^ Top  
  4. deama Prophet

deama
    I played this several months ago, the concept was neat, but the gameplay was just average, it needed more fluidity.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. tritosine2k Augur

tritosine2k
    Thought about this for a while now, long enough so I can propose a metric to rate 3D ARPG.
    See, it's no secret ARPG's are watered like festival beer, or straight down to monkey see monkey do levels of effort.
    My proposal is henceforth the "spin metric".
    So what's spin / spinning?
    Initially, Diablo used 8 directions for movement- 4 ordinal and 4 diagonal. What happened is this: sprites also have 8 facing. This leads to an interesting consequence in retrospect : alternate facings happen to be SNAPPY.
    So, original Diablo going to score ideally, because you dont get into funny scenarios with 3D models spinning in place that looks horribly retarded.
    Going by spin metric Last Epoch is brutal offender, like, MOBA levels of bad.

^ Top  
  6. kreight Guest

kreight
    Everyone who uses "diablo clone" is a retard. It's a fact.

• Shit Shit x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Renevent Cipher

Renevent
    Agreed. Mechanically wise (skills/items/etc) the game is pretty cool, that said gameplay wise something is missing. It just feels clunky and it's not as fun as it should be killing those hordes of monsters. For an ARPG where that's what you do over and over and over that's a pretty big issue imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Hyperion Arcane

Hyperion
    Isometric ARPG's after Diablo 2 all tread the same path of catering to the knuckle dragging fans of the genre. So long as you dangle a carrot in front of their face they'll never attain they will sit in their chair eternally while their lower lip collects bugs, dust, and dorito crumbs from resting on the floor

Regular enemies explode in one hit from one massive attack, which in turn explodes into a fountain of loot that's all but guaranteed to be shit. Bosses are artificially given damage resistance (the more you do, the more damage reductiom they get) to prevent you from skipping phases and mechanics. The fights themselves ard terrible, and instead of giving me active boss fights with funky attacks that kick my ass, I'm left moving around the battlefield like an MMO contending with scripted attacks, and phases.
    The takeaway is, it doesn't matter what your build is, what damage type you do, whether yoy build for crits, damage over time, two-handed melee, dual wield. It's all the same because every regular enemy dies instantly while bosses must survive at least x seconds to ensure you have to react to and survive all phases.

The game is built on loot, but the loot is so shitty that you need to filter 99%+ of it out because Heaven forbid you kill something that isn't a loot pinata. Affix ranges and combinations ensure you will never get an item that will change your build entirely.

It's sad because the skill customization, the unique (albeit tropey) classes are there, and lay a good groundwork for a potentially fun ARPG. The Time Travel aspect could be used to great effect and create some interesting mechanics that tie into the storyline, but are, as expected, wasted.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Sweeper Unwanted Zionist Agent

Unwanted
    Read somewhere it's slower than PoE but faster than Grim Dawn, sold! I'll wait for the kind people to beta test it for me first though.

^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    considering PoE is basically just a game of running around the map while things explode everywhere I sure hope so

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    Been playing several hours of this. It feels like an in-between of Grim Dawn and Path of Exile. Obviously there are things from both games that I liked and didn't like, and LE seems to take the best of both. I'll have to play it some more to get a better assessment, but so far it's pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. kreight Guest

kreight
    ^ Top  
  13. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    Yeah, after several hours in this game, I'm done with it. I'm not really a fan of the itemisation/crafting system (and the clunky UI doesn't help), plus character builds just feel too limited compared to the titles it's inspired by (even Torchlight 2 had better synergies). The lore isn't compelling either, like a generic mashup of tropes and names. IDK, it seems it's trying too hard to emulate the big titles without having its own flair. Maybe I'll come back to it when it's out of EA.

^ Top  
  14. Iron Balls McGinty Learned

Iron Balls McGinty
    Been playing this for a few days now, really enjoying the necromancer class, I have a boney boy army!

^ Top  
  15. deama Prophet

deama
    How many skeletons can you summon/hold?

^ Top  
  16. PapaPetro Omniscient Patron

PapaPetro
    Would like to see something surpass PoE.

^ Top  
  17. Iron Balls McGinty Learned

Iron Balls McGinty
    It depends on how you upgrade your skills.
    I currently have 5 skelly mages which I upgraded to deathknights, a bone golem which I upgraded to a blood golem, and I can have a mix of 11 or 12 skelly archers/warriors/rogues depending on the nodes I activate.
    Those are my perma summons, I also have wraiths that I summon, they last about 10-15 seconds each but I can spam them as long as I have mana.
    There are also exploding zombies, hungry souls, wandering spirits and shades for temp summons.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    0.8.3 is releasing on September 3rd 2021

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. geno Learned

geno
    I should look for magic items instead of rare ones for forging, right?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, magic items with high tier modifiers have more crafting potential.

As an example with a phys weapon, you'd want to find a magic with top tier phys modifiers like +phys % damage and +phys damage flat and then craft things like attack speed onto it.

This is why it's a good idea to set item filters to show items with high tier modifiers for good crafting bases.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    Bought it a couple of months ago after i read about it on the codex, played for about 50ish hours, had a lot of fun. Some rough edges here and there, ui, inventory, crafting etc. But shows genuine promise.
    Will play after 1.0 rolls out :)

^ Top  
  23. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    still no multiplayer

[​IMG]

• sheeeeiiiit sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/druid...T8tVm9syMXMuLTkdMrss7pcoLJ0F3x9Alpst176dFVD10

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/899770/view/3109166146173932971

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.