Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Last good Bioware game?

What was the last good Bioware game?

• Shattered Steel

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Baldur's Gate

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • MDK2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baldur's Gate 2

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • Neverinter Nights

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • SW: KOTOR

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Jade Empire

• Mass Effect

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Dragon Age: Origins

Votes: 48 28.2%
  • Mass Effect 2

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Dragon Age 2

• SW: TOR

• Mass Effect 3

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Anthem

• BioWare has never released a good game

Votes: 15 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arbiter

Scholar
Discuss!

Cross

Arcane
The poll is missing the only turn-based game BioWare ever made.:M

Dramart

Learned
I'm between Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 2 had okay gameplay and the way they developed the story was interesting, how you meet again your companions, the mystery of the omega 4 relay, the final mission among other things. Mass Effect 3 was fun to play, great third person shooter and the DLCs were really good, but the story could've been better and they made Wrex a little bit faggot.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Typically in many RPGs, including Bioware's, you have options to be either kind/helpful or rude or neutral. I remember that in one of the Dragon Ages (I think the second, but could have been other) I was also - as usual - clicking the kind/helpful dialogs. So when a particular elf in my party started talking to me - I did the same, thinking it might lead to some additional quest or more dialogs.

I was wrong.

I clicked a kind dialog option and suddenly gay sex scene ensued. I don't remember much from Dragon Ages but I damn remember that scene, it was engraved into my brain.

I was already old by the time, in my twenties, studying, working and living alone. But I imagine there were plenty of young teenagers who got their parents buy this game for them and accidentally triggered the same event like I did while playing in living room with others around to see.

Bioware's good at trolling, I give them that. I started choosing the asshole responses in their games since then.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Definitely Dragon Age Origins. DA:O, though showing signs of decline, is the closest thing they did in latter years to their classic offerings. The decline proper started with ME2, where there's a shift from making games designers wanted to make, to making games aimed at the console lowest common denominator, where the bad starts to outweigh the good (IOW both DA:O and ME2 had good and bad aspects, but in DA:O the good still outweighed the bad, whereas ME2 is where it flipped).

However, I will say that some of the class quests in SWTOR showed some of the old BioWare charm.

Beans00

Augur
I liked BG1 and BG2 but find them both overrated for different reasons. Beat both probably 2-4 times during my life, including both EE's last year(worse then original versions I played as a kid). That being said I still think both are good games.

Out of what I played

NWN 1 was complete junk tier. Lots of people got trolled by volourn who pretended to love it for like 2 decades. Other people cope about mods, maybe there are good mods but I never bothered since the combat in the game was so boring.

Kotor 1 was mediocre but playable. I'm not really a star wars fan though, so maybe those guys would enjoy it more.

Jade empire I only played for like 20 minutes and I don't remember it

ME1 I played on 360, I wouldn't say I hated it but it felt like a generic gears of war clone at the time and thats what I remember about it. Obviously not the worst game, I feel like if I played it as an adult it would have cringed me out

DA:O is dogshit, whenever I see someone say they played it or enjoyed it I immediately think they're retarded. Never seen so much cringe dialogue in 1 game, and I only played for like 2-3 hours(I quit shortly after recruiting the bitch in the swamp). Not even mentioning the trash mobs.

ME2 see ME1, I remember I beat it but can't remember a single distinctive thing about the game aside from generic gears of war combat.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mass Effect 3 had great gameplay and actually awed me by its graphics. I very rarely see modern graphics in action due to my subpar rig, but this game run smoothly while looking very impressive. Shooting felt proper kinetic and the story, like before, was dumb but exciting.

Not a crpg of course.

Fargus

Arcane
Mass Errect 2 for me.

Dragon Age 2 is when they went all in with cringe and bad character writing.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Mass Effect 2 was the last good GAME they made, in my view. Sadly, it's not really an RPG, so I voted for Dragon Age: Origins; ME2 might have been good, but it was quite clear that Bioware was already dead at that point.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn - The best thing they ever did.
Dragon Age: Origins - a swan song of "we actually care about cRPGs" approach.
Mass Effect 2 - not an RPG, but if you are in a mood for a cinematic space adventure popamole it's a quality product.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
BG2 was the last good game they made, DA:O was okay, and everything after that was pure decline.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The question itself doesn't really make sense because the Bioware that made BG isn't the Bioware that made Dragon Age isn't the Bioware that made Andromeda.

It's just a skin suit worn by increasingly incompetent sickos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom